Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Christians intent on destroying world before Mayan gods

Started by Cain, January 04, 2011, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 04, 2011, 11:06:29 PM
We thought we were the only tribe.  Then we found other tribes. 
We thought we were the only race.  We found other races. 
We thought our world was the center of creation.  We discovered heliocentrism. 
We thought our system was the only one.  We found exoplanets orbiting stars.  We found other galaxies. 
Now we theorize the existence of other universes with different parameters in M-Theory.
All this we have found, all at the expense of our place of pride as the focal point of all reality.

Yet we persist in believing in omnipotent personal benefactors.

We are exactly that stupid.

I like the quote by Sagan even more.

QuoteIn some respects, science has far surpassed religion in delivering awe. How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, "This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed"? Instead they say, "No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way."

Which is why I will answer, if anyone talks to me about creationism or any other religious claim, "The universe is much greater than these small notions." And leave it at that.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 05, 2011, 07:55:06 AM
Thanks.  The thought still depresses me though. :kingmeh:

There's a quote of Antero Alli about moving from being a ruler in the universe or one of the ruled to being a participant. I think it applies.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ϗ on January 07, 2011, 01:21:03 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on January 04, 2011, 11:06:29 PM
We thought we were the only tribe.  Then we found other tribes. 
We thought we were the only race.  We found other races. 
We thought our world was the center of creation.  We discovered heliocentrism. 
We thought our system was the only one.  We found exoplanets orbiting stars.  We found other galaxies. 
Now we theorize the existence of other universes with different parameters in M-Theory.
All this we have found, all at the expense of our place of pride as the focal point of all reality.

Yet we persist in believing in omnipotent personal benefactors.

We are exactly that stupid.

I like the quote by Sagan even more.

QuoteIn some respects, science has far surpassed religion in delivering awe. How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, "This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed"? Instead they say, "No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way."

Which is why I will answer, if anyone talks to me about creationism or any other religious claim, "The universe is much greater than these small notions." And leave it at that.

I like this. A lot.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."