News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

UC Davis reseachers illegally infect brains of terminally ill

Started by Cain, December 20, 2012, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Oh, UC Davis and your wacky disdain for human rights:

QuoteAs reported by Marjie Lundstrom and Sam Stanton of the Sacramento Bee, a 92-page report issued by investigators from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services found that hospital administrators failed to properly enforce federal regulations regarding the experimental surgeries performed by neurosurgeons Dr. J. Paul Muizelaar, chairman of the department of neurological surgery, and Dr. Rudolph J. Schrot, an assistant professor and neurosurgeon with 13 years experience working under Muizelaar.

The experimental surgeries in question involved opening the skull of and deliberately infecting the brains of cancer patients with the bacterium Enterobacter aerogenes, without FDA or Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval, and without compelling scientific evidence in support of the immunological hypothesis that a brain infection in glioblastoma patients could improve outcomes.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/08/5040127/federal-regulators-blast-uc-davis.html#storylink=cpy

QuoteThe federal watchdog agency went so far as to say the neurosurgeons, Dr. J. Paul Muizelaar and Dr. Rudolph J. Schrot, may have been responsible for "contributing to or causing the death of at least one patient."

UC Davis officials rejected some of the investigators' harshest findings, responding in their "plan of correction" that the agency's findings were incorrect in some areas and that the medical center already had taken steps to correct problems.

"We're confident we're providing excellent patient care," said Ann Madden Rice, the medical center's chief executive officer.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Uhhhhhh

This is profoundly disturbing on a personal level for me, because my very good friend died in 2011 following brain cancer surgery at UC Davis.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Deepthroat Chopra

Looks like the researchers forgot there were people connected to those brains. Shocker.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on December 21, 2012, 03:38:49 AM
Looks like the researchers forgot there were people connected to those brains. Shocker.

I think that people who are not trained in research, like medical doctors, sometimes forget that "innovative" treatments aren't automatically OK just because the patient has a fatal diagnosis.

I am 90% convinced that my friend was case #3, the one who had surgery and then lived for almost a year. She was diagnosed with a huge glioblastoma and had surgery, and underwent an "innovative" treatment that she was incredibly hopeful would lead to her immune system kicking in and eliminating the rest of the cancer. She was so hopeful. She was reading all these buddhist books... I sent her one. If that was her, I am so sad for her husband. He doesn't need this. But if it was I hope he is able to sue and get enough to live on for the rest of his life. There is a LOT MORE to this story, they were remarkable people and an amazing couple. She was a stunning woman, a model and very talented fashion designer, and she had escaped an abusive marriage (literal escape, threw her dog in a car and drove away) and was in college when she was hit by a freight truck and had her back insanely fucked up. During her recuperation she met a guy online, and they fell in love over the course of a million phone calls and emails. He was a quadraplegic, in law school. She used to worry so much that he would die before her.

I once drove 12 hours to her house and slept for 18 hours. Just because it was the one place I felt I could truly relax. When I woke up, we walked to the store for marshmallows and roasted them over the gas burners of her stove for s'mores.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 21, 2012, 05:50:34 AM

I think that people who are not trained in research, like medical doctors, sometimes forget that "innovative" treatments aren't automatically OK just because the patient has a fatal diagnosis.

I am 90% convinced that my friend was case #3, the one who had surgery and then lived for almost a year. She was diagnosed with a huge glioblastoma and had surgery, and underwent an "innovative" treatment that she was incredibly hopeful would lead to her immune system kicking in and eliminating the rest of the cancer. She was so hopeful. She was reading all these buddhist books... I sent her one. If that was her, I am so sad for her husband. He doesn't need this. But if it was I hope he is able to sue and get enough to live on for the rest of his life. There is a LOT MORE to this story, they were remarkable people and an amazing couple. She was a stunning woman, a model and very talented fashion designer, and she had escaped an abusive marriage (literal escape, threw her dog in a car and drove away) and was in college when she was hit by a freight truck and had her back insanely fucked up. During her recuperation she met a guy online, and they fell in love over the course of a million phone calls and emails. He was a quadraplegic, in law school. She used to worry so much that he would die before her.

I once drove 12 hours to her house and slept for 18 hours. Just because it was the one place I felt I could truly relax. When I woke up, we walked to the store for marshmallows and roasted them over the gas burners of her stove for s'mores.

For what it's worth, I salute your memory of her. Your words make her sound a tougher person than me.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on December 21, 2012, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 21, 2012, 05:50:34 AM

For what it's worth, I salute your memory of her. Your words make her sound a tougher person than me.

Thank you. She was one of the most amazing people I've ever known. She was a force of nature; people loved her, people hated her, people were obsessed with her. She was so often accused of controlling everyone with mind-lazors that we coined the phrase "Evil S----'s Bead Cronies"... she was basically a female Roger.