News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Creativity and Allah - Somebody Barstool this

Started by LHX, March 21, 2007, 02:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

what, doesn't that happen on your planet?

oh, and
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Back to the idea of combining.  So, under the premise that creating is putting 2 previously uncombined ideas together, does that mean that at some point creativity ceases to exist?  This of course going under the additional premise that we live in a world of finite resources.  But, then again, are ideas a finite source? 

questions creating questions ITT
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 21, 2007, 05:07:20 PM
Back to the idea of combining.  So, under the premise that creating is putting 2 previously uncombined ideas together, does that mean that at some point creativity ceases to exist?  This of course going under the additional premise that we live in a world of finite resources.  But, then again, are ideas a finite source? 

questions creating questions ITT

heheh I'm going to attempt to type this post without using a question mark.

Referencing the wikipedia entry, I think the creativity is creating a new association between the new ideas. Since that association itself can be the input for new combinations and associations, we will never run out.

The number of new ideas you could have in 1907 is far less than the number of new ideas you could have in 2007. There are entirely new things (internet, strap-on dildos) to be combined, all of which are the product of older juxtapositions.

LHX

in the OP i discussed creating fiction as a form of legitimate creation

so i am thinking it is not finite

because if it is - you just create more space and new things to create/combine

i am becoming less convinced that people 'create' anything physical

it all seems to be a shifting around of matter into a new form

but fiction is a different story

between my ears, i can ressurect the dead and give them cannon arms
neat hell

AFK

But isn't there a limited amount of "stuff" that we can conceive of?  Aren't our conceptions fueled by our experiences, the input?  Can you create something out of nothing? 

Jenne

I had a hard time responding to this if only because there were sooo many questions in the OP.

First, creativity and creation are the result of an action, a direct action, that identifies something as being MADE out of something else. 

Second, in so far as mythology and fiction versus real life, well, I believe that that depends on the beholder.  Sometimes you have things happen to you (tragedy, abuse, great good fortune that you didn't work for) that seems so surreal, it's like it's someone else's life.  However, you are still experiencing it in real time.  Does fiction move on during a lifetime of experience such that it can replace "real life"?  Perhaps for some, it does.  But I pretty much doubt it for all, since escapism is really sought-after in present day, modern society.

Third, shit, I have none, I think.  Maybe later.  :lol:

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 21, 2007, 05:36:06 PM
But isn't there a limited amount of "stuff" that we can conceive of?  Aren't our conceptions fueled by our experiences, the input?  Can you create something out of nothing? 

Where is this "nothing"?

LMNO

It seems that conflation alerts are my main role today.

First off, I said in my first response that creation is sometimes the combination of two different ideas.

Because, of course, some people here have mixed up the act of intellectual creation (I wrote a story) and physical creation (I built a house).

yes, the two blend in many interesting ways, but they are essentially different concepts.

I chose to go with intellectual, because that's what I thought LHX was getting at.

And, in response to a previous LHX post, While the physical thing that is made (story, poem, sculpture) is called a "creation", I feel that it is more clearly defined as a communication of a creation.  The artist already created it in his mind, and the medium is simply the best way they could let other people know about the creation.

tyrannosaurus vex

you could say that all creativity is creating something out of nothing, since it's usually the case that an important creation is one that fills a need where currently there is nothing.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Let me try it this way.

We conceive of a flying pig because we have seen a pig and we have seen stuff fly.  So, we can create this fiction of a pig flying.  Did we have to have the reference points of "pigs" and "flying" to conceive of a flying pig.  If the human race had never experienced either pigs or flying would we have been able to conjure up that concept?  

Jenne

But it's always out of SOMETHING, though.  Rarely is there NOTHING to begin with.  We live in a world full of stuff.  Stuff fills our brain, sits on our desks, on our streets, in our brains.

There is no nothing.  Ever.  Even space is SOMETHING.  

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 21, 2007, 05:45:23 PM
Let me try it this way.

We conceive of a flying pig because we have seen a pig and we have seen stuff fly.  So, we can create this fiction of a pig flying.  Did we have to have the reference points of "pigs" and "flying" to conceive of a flying pig.  If the human race had never experienced either pigs or flying would we have been able to conjure up that concept?  

I would venture a No.

LMNO

Stop it.  "Nothing" is an abstract concept of the abscence of intended things.

Get back to "creativity".

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on March 21, 2007, 05:53:41 PM
Stop it.  "Nothing" is an abstract concept of the abscence of intended things.

Get back to "creativity".

Yin, yang, yo.

LMNO