News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Honey Goes Good On Everything

Started by Doobie, March 13, 2013, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

That depends on the last time I took a shower.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 14, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Question to myself: Do I really want to be eating stuff that's used to kill bedbugs?

It's not poisonous, it's essentially just silica. It's used in a lot of food processing. Also it's filtered out of the honey completely in the process.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Note to self: Purchase all future honey in Austin.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: stelz on March 14, 2013, 09:23:01 PM

Yeah, given our healthy lifestyles, I'd hate to get fake honey.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, worst case scenario here, we're just talking about it being a rip-off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 14, 2013, 09:34:10 PM
Yeah, worst case scenario here, we're just talking about it being a rip-off.

I'm reasonably certain Kroger brand honey never saw the inside of a beehive at all, ever.

But it tastes like honey.

Interestingly enough, we use a process to scrub chemicals that is in principle identical to the process used to "purify" honey.  Add a chemical that the undesireable stuff sticks to, that is itself easily filtered out.  Then filter it out.  Wrong stuff goes with it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 14, 2013, 07:21:40 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 14, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Question to myself: Do I really want to be eating stuff that's used to kill bedbugs?

It's not poisonous, it's essentially just silica. It's used in a lot of food processing. Also it's filtered out of the honey completely in the process.

Yeah, my understanding is that it's only dangerous if you inhale it as dust. Even then, it would take extensive exposure to be noticeably harmful.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 14, 2013, 09:23:48 PM
Quote from: stelz on March 14, 2013, 09:23:01 PM

Yeah, given our healthy lifestyles, I'd hate to get fake honey.

:lulz:

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 14, 2013, 04:43:41 PM
Depends on how long and how hot, and I don't actually know the exact time to temperature ratio at which it starts breaking down. For a quick glaze, you're probably just fine. I do that with mine and it still tastes like honey.

There's a lot of bizarre debate on this topic. Cooking honey for a long period of time will break down some of its flavors, but it still works fine as a sweetener etc. It just doesn't taste as much like honey as it does before you cook it. For example, to make mead, you boil the honey for a long period of time and the end result still tastes like honey. Honey in sauces (we use it a lot to sweeten tomato sauces) is a great sweetener, but it doesn't taste so much like fresh honey.

I had a conversation about this with a chef that owns several high end restaurants in Columbus. He said that it will always depend on what taste you're going for. Since honey is not a complex sugar (its already broken down, as opposed to refined sugar), it can be really good in some applications, even if a lot of the flavor is cooked away (better than refined sugar or corn syrup). Getting the same sweetness with less calories or getting good sweetness that is less problematic for diabetics were both applications he mentioned.

Honey is also useful for caramelizing/browning if you know what you're doing because it browns at a lower temperature.

There is also a belief making traction on the net that putting honey in hot stuff (lie tea) is unhealthy because it somehow becomes toxic. That's a load of bullshit  spawned by a religious group which believes honey is some kind of spiritual medicine.

I cook with honey a lot, not specifically for the taste, but because I find its just a really good sweetener.

And ALWAYS get your honey from a reputable source. There was a company hawking honey on television here in Turkey (4 kilo for 99 lira!!) once their honey was checked though, it was found to be mostly syrup, they got banned from TV and had to pay a huge fine. However, knowing local beekeepers has kept us in delicious honey that ends up even cheaper than the crap they were trying to push.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Pergamos

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on March 15, 2013, 10:00:26 AM
Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 14, 2013, 04:43:41 PM
Depends on how long and how hot, and I don't actually know the exact time to temperature ratio at which it starts breaking down. For a quick glaze, you're probably just fine. I do that with mine and it still tastes like honey.

There's a lot of bizarre debate on this topic. Cooking honey for a long period of time will break down some of its flavors, but it still works fine as a sweetener etc. It just doesn't taste as much like honey as it does before you cook it. For example, to make mead, you boil the honey for a long period of time and the end result still tastes like honey. Honey in sauces (we use it a lot to sweeten tomato sauces) is a great sweetener, but it doesn't taste so much like fresh honey.

I had a conversation about this with a chef that owns several high end restaurants in Columbus. He said that it will always depend on what taste you're going for. Since honey is not a complex sugar (its already broken down, as opposed to refined sugar), it can be really good in some applications, even if a lot of the flavor is cooked away (better than refined sugar or corn syrup). Getting the same sweetness with less calories or getting good sweetness that is less problematic for diabetics were both applications he mentioned.

Honey is also useful for caramelizing/browning if you know what you're doing because it browns at a lower temperature.

There is also a belief making traction on the net that putting honey in hot stuff (lie tea) is unhealthy because it somehow becomes toxic. That's a load of bullshit  spawned by a religious group which believes honey is some kind of spiritual medicine.

I cook with honey a lot, not specifically for the taste, but because I find its just a really good sweetener.

And ALWAYS get your honey from a reputable source. There was a company hawking honey on television here in Turkey (4 kilo for 99 lira!!) once their honey was checked though, it was found to be mostly syrup, they got banned from TV and had to pay a huge fine. However, knowing local beekeepers has kept us in delicious honey that ends up even cheaper than the crap they were trying to push.

Most mead recipes say not to boil the honey.  Just heat it up enough for it to dissolve completely in the water.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, you're not supposed to boil the honey in mead because doing anything that robs it of flavor really defeats the purpose of using honey in the first place, as it's so much more expensive than sugar or corn syrup.

Cain

That said, only LARPers drink mead anyway.  You could put rat poison in it, for all they'd notice.

And you'd be doing the world a favour if you did.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

we made mead mutiple times with the loal SCA brewing group. Based on their multiple decades of experience, boiling (according to the guys running the show) provides a stronger taste, but it does weaken the aroma a little. Considering that there was few hundred gallons of experience and I was at 0, we did it their way. :D

The finished products were awesome. The sweet mead stil had a honey scent and excellent taste the methaglen (spiced mead) tasted almost like ginger beer, but sweeter.

Boiling does cause some changes, but in my experience it doesn't ruin the honey. I just did a quick Google search and found another group that did a double blind of boil vs no-boil mead:

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog/2008/10/28/making-mead-testing-the-controversy-over-boiling/

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on March 16, 2013, 10:21:31 AM
we made mead mutiple times with the loal SCA brewing group. Based on their multiple decades of experience, boiling (according to the guys running the show) provides a stronger taste, but it does weaken the aroma a little. Considering that there was few hundred gallons of experience and I was at 0, we did it their way. :D

The finished products were awesome. The sweet mead stil had a honey scent and excellent taste the methaglen (spiced mead) tasted almost like ginger beer, but sweeter.

Boiling does cause some changes, but in my experience it doesn't ruin the honey. I just did a quick Google search and found another group that did a double blind of boil vs no-boil mead:

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog/2008/10/28/making-mead-testing-the-controversy-over-boiling/

Well, if a bunch of guys in the SCA say it's the best way, then it must be the best! :lol:

Anyway, that was an interesting experiment, and it would even be meaningful if it was replicated several times. For reasons that are probably too obvious to state, it is interesting but not meaningful on its own.

East Coast Hustle

It has been my experience that men who are active in the SCA are absolutely experts about everything, ever.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"