News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

WE know what the Founding Fathers really meant!

Started by Adios, January 05, 2011, 04:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

A group of state legislators opposed to illegal immigration plan to propose a legislative "fix" Wednesday that would prevent children of illegal immigrants born in the United States from being citizens, a spokesman said.

The group, State Legislators for Legal Immigration, will reveal their strategy at a Wednesday morning news conference at the National Press Club in Washington, Ty McCauslin said.

The coalition counts members from 40 states. It argues that the 14th Amendment has been wrongly applied to so-called "anchor babies."

The 14th Amendment says that "all persons born ... in the United States" automatically become U.S. citizens.
Should birth grant citizenship?
2010: 14th Amendment rewards immigrants?

The group's proposal "is to fix the misapplication of the 14th Amendment as it applies to the children of illegal aliens," McCauslin told CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/05/legislators.illegal.immigration/index.html?hpt=T2

That will show those wetbacks!

The Good Reverend Roger

1.  The founders didn't write the 14th amendment.

2.  The 14th amendment is the only guarantee that ANY of us have citizenship.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2011, 04:38:04 PM
1.  The founders didn't write the 14th amendment.

2.  The 14th amendment is the only guarantee that ANY of us have citizenship.

I was having a tea bag moment.

Lenin McCarthy

So what these people are saying is that babies from Mexico should not qualify as persons?  :p

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on January 05, 2011, 04:57:47 PM
So what these people are saying is that babies from Mexico should not qualify as persons?  :p
DING DING DING

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

SO what's their solution? Only children born in the US to Americans born in the US can be American?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 05, 2011, 05:41:37 PM
SO what's their solution? Only children born in the US to Americans born in the US can be American?

DON'T BE MEXICAN.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 05, 2011, 05:41:37 PM

Helllooooo, Jim Crow!   :lulz:

Whatever

On a side note, if they make this retro active neither my mother, father nor I will be a US citizen.

Damn.

Adios

Quote from: Niamh on January 05, 2011, 05:52:23 PM
On a side note, if they make this retro active neither my mother, father nor I will be a US citizen.

Damn.

GTFO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Damn.

Oh, I'm ALL for making this retroactive, ALL THE WAY BACK.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Damn.

Article 1, Section 9
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on January 05, 2011, 05:56:33 PM

Damn.

I claim First Nation status. The rest of you, OUT!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 05, 2011, 05:56:33 PM

Damn.

The local Apaches would like that.

I just read the Arizona plan, where individual states certify citizenship, based on parental status.

Given that my folks were students here, not legal residents, if these people have their way, I will lose my citizenship, despite 10 years of military service and 26 years of paying taxes.

Should that happen, I'm going back to Canada.  I'll tolerate almost anything in the service of the lulz, but this is a fucking insult.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 05, 2011, 05:57:22 PM

Damn.

Article 1, Section 9

What makes you think that will matter?  The argument will be that they aren't retroactively prosecuting a crime, they're retroactively removing citizenship.  Ipso facto will not apply.

And Arizona's state government is maintaining that they won't listen to SCOTUS if they overturn it.