News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

The Importance of Being Earnest II

Started by Payne, September 19, 2011, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

It's the smug "I stand for THIS (whatever it is), and if you don't, and don't agree with me 100%, and don't support me 169%, you're scum" attitude that gets me.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

People RARELY like a zealot or a fanatic.  That's why the words zeal and fan have to be used far, far away from the causes that zealots and fanatics use their passion for--otherwise they'd rarely be used without a prejorative end in mind.  And for some, they probably still are.

I think earnestness can be done with a certain amount of win if you don't take yourself too damned seriously and ALLOW for the fact you ARE over the top, for most folks.  If you accept that, and are still earnest, then I think you're less apt to catch shit.  Esp from the denizens that inhabit this particular hellhole.  :D

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 07:31:07 PM
Is it that he's really zealous about saving whales? Or that he's really sincere about it?

The guy sounds like a D-Bag but I'm having trouble putting my finger on exactly why. Earnest doesn't strike me as quite the right word. A lot of us are passionate, dedicated, and sincere about certain things, but that isn't douchey in itself. Is it the sort of righteous wind he's sailing?

For me, it's (aside from the fact that they're all raging hippies) the fact that he's willing to jeopardize the safety of another vessel and its crew in pursuit of his ideals. Whale hunting may be immoral, and there are people on that ship on whose shoulders that immorality should lay, but the deckhands, engineers, and cooks are probably just trying to get a paycheck and feed their families. And even if they're ALL complicit in the immorality of whaling, it's not a justifiable reason for endangering their lives while they're at sea.

Seriously, if I ever run into one of those guys in a bar somewhere, noses will be broken. Though I imagine the chances of finding them in any bar frequented by sailors is about zero.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Obviously that's pretty contextually specific, but I imagine that something similar can be applied to most people that are that over-earnest about their pet causes.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 20, 2011, 04:44:19 AM
And even if [everyone aboard the vessel is] complicit in the immorality of whaling, it's not a justifiable reason for endangering their lives while they're at sea.

I tend to agree, but why not?

Why do a small number of people deserve their lives more than whales deserve to exist as a species?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

kingyak

Quote from: Net on September 20, 2011, 11:55:05 AM
Why do a small number of people deserve their lives more than whales deserve to exist as a species?

Because whales are physically incapable of dressing monkeys in people clothes.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Doktor Howl

And even if [everyone aboard the vessel is] complicit in the immorality of whaling, it's not a justifiable reason for endangering their lives while they're at sea.

Because people > whales.
Molon Lube

Scribbly

I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on September 20, 2011, 03:19:53 PM
That's just like, your opinion man.  :hippie:

:lol:

Well, we COULD declare open season on anyone who works in an industry that we consider immoral...

Dok,
Has a bunker in the front yard.  Bring it, bitches.
Molon Lube

Scribbly

I don't think I could die happy unless I got to eat roast leg of banker at least once in my life.

Then again, I essentially work in marketing now...  :sad:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2011, 03:11:08 PM

Because people > whales.

This.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on September 20, 2011, 03:42:08 PM
I don't think I could die happy unless I got to eat roast leg of banker at least once in my life.

Then again, I essentially work in marketing now...  :sad:

Bankers and hedge fund managers are an exception.

:bankster:  <--- Lot of beef on those guys.
Molon Lube

Luna

Because when you start deciding that a cause is more important than human lives, you're heading a bad direction.  When you accept that an idea is worth killing for, you never know where that will stop.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Luna on September 20, 2011, 05:04:43 PM
Because when you start deciding that a cause is more important than human lives, you're heading a bad direction.  When you accept that an idea is worth killing for, you never know where that will stop.

Precisely.
Molon Lube

Payne

Yeah, their the lethal tendencies of the particular group of people I mentioned in the OP really are more "I would die for the whales!" rather than directly trying to harm others. However, the line is so fine, and their enthusiasm so blinding that they really are dangerous to those they target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsqs5AbtgU

This ^ sickens and fascinates me. From the cultish leader, down to the wilful disregard for their others' safety.