News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

QUICHE ADVICE?

Started by Triple Zero, September 10, 2008, 01:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

My special ed quiche!

What it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in taste. Cheddar and spinach with feta on top. Yummm. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out until my mum comes home.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Raphaella

This is a great looking quiche! So is the one in the above post.
:awesome:

I have never made a quiche but soon I will. Thanks for posting these.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Jenne

Quiches are surprisingly easy--sound tough, but really, aren't so much.  I love this subforum, by the way.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on October 15, 2008, 02:43:01 AM
Quiches are surprisingly easy--sound tough, but really, aren't so much.  I love this subforum, by the way.

this is true.

the only hard part about making a quiche is that it could turn out too wet and mushy. but there's a few tricks to avoid that:

- first make sure that your ingredients aren't wet and mushy, or will release a lot of liquid when heated
- you can cover the base of the quiche with some toasted bread cubes or crumbs that soak up excess liquid, although you do risk getting a blander or "breadish" taste in your quiche.
- resist the urge to use the leftover dough to make nice-looking doughy cross-hatches (like with an apple pie), it may look pretty, but prevents the liquid from evaporating.
- i usually bake a quiche for 40-45 minutes, and somehow, covering the quiche with aluminium foil for the first 20 minutes seems to improve the quality.
- practice. it makes perfect.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Raphaella

HOLY SHIT!! 000, I need to thank you for leaning me to quiche! This has been the best dish to make when I'm short on time, or just don't feel like making anything too complicated. Quiche is wonderful! Thanks so much.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Triple Zero

whoohooo! quiche are awesome!

it's been too long since i made one. glad you enjoyed my recipe/hints/things!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

I had a slice of bacon-and-cheddar quiche on Thanksgiving.

I gained fifty pounds and couldn't move for six hours.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is possibly going to sound really gross, but sometimes as an alternate crust for quiche, I use shredded hash browns. I line the pie tin with frozen hash brown shreddies, pre-bake it until they're all golden and crisp, then put in the quiche filling and bake.

I hate making crust.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raphaella

No this sounds awesome. I'll have to give that a try sometime. I usually use frozen pie crust when I am in a hurry. 

Sir Squid Diddimus

Nigel, your crust makes me want to eat quiche.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel