News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Political quotes of the moment

Started by Cain, September 13, 2009, 03:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 05:59:58 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 05:56:20 PM
Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 02:31:50 PM
This was the top thread - is it not natural to reply to it first? Also, his comment was so out of whack with the rest of the thread that I just kind of recoiled at it... Really, some kind of huge conspiracy to control access to free, grown women's vaginas? LOL!

So, your method of approaching a new forum is to find someone to try to pick a fight with in the first thread you see?  :lol: You'll go far, son.

Weren't we just talking about what the first generation out of tumblr will look like?

Now we know.   :lulz:

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 04, 2014, 06:01:05 PM

PD.com - Treat it like Prison and you'll be OK.

:lol: Both of these statements are true.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I am reminded of someone.  Remember the internet tough guy that ranted about beating up bouncers, etc?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Some podunk town in Mississippi.  Like, 5000 people live there or something. 

BUT HE'S THE TOP DOG IN A SMALL TOWN.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 06:31:19 PM
Some podunk town in Mississippi.  Like, 5000 people live there or something. 

BUT HE'S THE TOP DOG IN A SMALL TOWN.

Oh, yeah, right.  Somewhere near Jackson, IIRC.

Which ain't exactly NYC itself, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do.

Cain

Yeah.  I mean, my town is bigger than that, and I live in a backwater shithole where every drinking establishment is owned by the same guy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 08:26:40 PM
Yeah.  I mean, my town is bigger than that, and I live in a backwater shithole where every drinking establishment is owned by the same guy.

"England"?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 09:38:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 08:26:40 PM

"England"?

:spittake:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Jacob Bacharach, aka Who is IOZ? has some of what he calls brief thoughts on the New York Times-Sulzberger-Abramson affair. I'll quote a few, but you really need to read the whole thing:

QuoteIt's awfully difficult to feel badly for income discrepancies where people are making hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars. Beyond a certain income level, which I would set at significantly less than $100,000 per year, it's all just surplus value; its only purpose—if that word applies—is luxury purchasing for purposes of status signaling. This is not to say that women executives should be paid less than their immediate male counterparts; rather, no one should be paid so much money to be a general manager

QuoteIn other words, yes, it is a problem in a narrowly defined sense that a woman reporter for the Times is making eighty grand a year while her male colleague is making ninety-five, or what have you, but it is a problem in a much broader sense that she went to Bryn Mawr and he went to Brown and both of their New York rents were floated by their parents for 4-5 post-undergraduate years of internships and sub-$30K reporting gigs; that these two employees consider this a natural state of affairs; that their employer considers it so (obviously) as well.

QuoteOkay, I want you to imagine the Times, or any similar publication, publishing an editorial that says women should not make as much as men for the same work because of the fundamental damage that "some Republicans" or "some economists" say that "equal pay" would do to our old friend, the economy.

QuoteCapitalism is a system of surpluses, and it allocates them upward. It gives more rations to people who already have a pile. Should women make as much as men, blacks as much as whites? Yes. But these debates are moral proxies for debates that we are not having, at least, not in the pages of the Times. The answer to the question of whether a woman line worker should make as much as the guy next to her is yes. The answer to the question of whether Jill Abramson should have made as much as Bill Keller is smash the system of state capital and reallocate the surpluses in the form of lifetime guaranteed housing, clothing, food, and study for everyone.

QuoteThis debate has to do with the question of why it is that women in leadership roles are pushy and opinionated while men are strong and decisive, or, well, you pick the opposing pairs of adjectives—why, in short, is the behavior of women judged on measures of temperament, and men's on measures of will? It strikes me that the actual question being asked here is: why, upon achieving a position of dominance, aren't women as free to act like monstrous dickheads as men? The management behaviors ascribed to both Abramson and her predecessors are the worst kind of B-school blowhard psychopathy: management based on fear; power maintained by its own inconsistent application. These sorts of hard-driven, hard-driving, chair-tossing, dressing-down applications of personal power within a rigid hierarchy of authority are, like that big ol' salary, a kind of surplus; an excess; an overage.

Also, Jacob has written his first novel, at long last.  I've not read it, but I will.

LMNO

I'm sure a lot of you already know, but Corey Robin's blog is really good.

QuoteHere in the US, we don't need to force people to confess to crimes they didn't commit (though we certainly do that, too). No, to truly validate our system, we conscript the defendant's soul in a different way.

In the same way that the Stalinist show trial was meant to model the virtuous comrade—so dutiful to the ideals of communism that he would sacrifice his very life in order to validate the cause—so does the American criminal justice system model the virtuous capitalist: so committed to the ideals of the free market that he's willing to pay the price, in both senses of the word, of his crime.

Cain

Moar Jacob Bacharach:

QuoteThe desire to ratify scientifically our moral and social and economic postures and preferences is part of a generally cowardly morality that takes a look at some vile human prejudice and goes off searching for a pipette and a bell curve as a counter-scripture to whatever Bronze-Age prejudice a misunderstood God re-dredged up every time a louche Hellenism threatened to make Western civilization vaguely civilized. I'm glad that this fuzzy evidence is being wielded in favor of gay equality; I'm gay, after all. But I can't help but see it as the boneheaded inverse of all the The New Republicans, Dark Enlightenment dweebs, and other direly self-afflicted determinist assholes forever trying to prove with the modern-day phrenology of intelligence testing that The Blacks Are Stupider. "We're just asking the questions!" Yeah, yeah. Some of my best friends are black.

I'm sure genetic inheritance and gene expression do influence sexuality; likewise, intelligence and hair color and the desire to eat, or not to eat, cilantro; but the desperate reductivism that keeps popping up to declare that this or that immensely complex trait is the result of some butterfly-pinned nucleotide—and the attendant desire to draw some kind of socioeconomic conclusion therefrom—reeks of both the alchemical and the eugenic. God, remember the study about the genetic basis of American political affiliation? That's what I'm talking about.

This is like when that weird-looking National Review gnome appeared a few days ago to declare that Laverne Cox is biologically not a woman and the Internet bravely rushed in to declare that scientifically she is. "He doesn't understand the complexity . . ." And we were all treated to a series of semi-coherent expostulations on various human intersex conditions, as if that has anything to do with the social right of an autonomous human individual to decide whether she wants to live her life as a man or a woman or both or neither, less yet to determine against which physical expression of our species rather aesthetically unfortunate genital she wishes to press her own. If we make the concretized and inevitably temporary axioms of popular (I emphasize) science the preconditions of moral acceptability, then we are in big trouble, people. If Laverne Cox decides tomorrow that she wishes to be referred to by the pronoun Qfwfq  and that her gender is henceforth Parthogenetic Quintsexual Proteus Universal then it's still no skin off my ass, whether ratified by double-blind or by dungeon-master.

LMNO

Mind if I share that on Facebook?

Cain

Go for it.  The link is in the post.  Be interesting to see who gets outraged first.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2014, 04:29:57 PM

QuoteCapitalism is a system of surpluses, and it allocates them upward. It gives more rations to people who already have a pile. Should women make as much as men, blacks as much as whites? Yes. But these debates are moral proxies for debates that we are not having, at least, not in the pages of the Times. The answer to the question of whether a woman line worker should make as much as the guy next to her is yes. The answer to the question of whether Jill Abramson should have made as much as Bill Keller is smash the system of state capital and reallocate the surpluses in the form of lifetime guaranteed housing, clothing, food, and study for everyone.

I love this so much.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"