News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: Hoopla on July 12, 2016, 05:22:26 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 12, 2016, 05:11:14 AM
In other academia related news, The head teacher of my department (Industrial Maintenance) confided in me tonight that he had not hired a teacher once because, among other more legitimate sounding reasons, he was "Queer". Adding "He never said that he was, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..."

My initial reaction was a sinking feeling and a deep sense of ennui. Later, it occurred to me that if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, and you think it might be gay, it's probably Gladstone Gander.

I gotta keep smiling, after all.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably Truman Capote.  So he wasn't totally off.

Thing is, this guy seems to be pretty knowledgeable about which companies will kill you with Industrial Strength slow, painful death. He was friends with the father of a friend of mine who died of cancer (the dad) in his 40's. He says it was exposure to Trichloroethylene at DeZurik that gave him cancer. Apparently he was working right in it with no protection for years.

He had a nephew who worked somewhere where he worked in close proximity to welding arcs all day with nothing but a pair of goggles to protect him. He says his face looks like hamburger now except for right around the eyes.

He does not paint a pretty picture of conditions in local industrial plants. I have a feeling I'll be putting OSHA on speed-dial when I get wherever I'm going. Not that it's likely to accomplish much other than to get me blacklisted.
Formerly something else...

Meunster

I am the gym leader of fort Lee.

Finally a game that combines my two strengths grinding for inhuman amounts of time, and running.
Poe's law ;)

Faust

I tried it out, but wheres the battle system, whats the deal?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

POFP

Congrats Suu!!

Quote from: Faust on July 12, 2016, 11:03:05 PM
I tried it out, but wheres the battle system, whats the deal?

BUT... BUT... WHY FIGHT WHEN YOU CAN CATCH'EM ALLLLL?

Also, I believe there are plans to add in a pvp battle system a little later on. They're maximizing their income by releasing it in parts.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Suu

I had a horrible goddamn day yesterday, and today isn't shaping up to be better, other than I get to go teach a class at 10am. I'm working on a particularly expensive silk tunic for the husband, and one side of it is giving me hell. Something in the pattern is just off and not fitting into the puzzle as it should. The repeated removal of pattern pieces resulted in a silk shatter, and I damn near had a full nervous breakdown. Husband ended up dragging me down the stairs out of my studio to sit on the couch and stare at the TV. Didn't help, I woke up feeling like a depressed fucking failure.

On top of that, somebody I don't know messaged my pro page on Facebook to attempt to buy my Long Beach Comic Con table out from under me, which is rude as fuck. If you miss the deadline or the con fills up, you lose your chance. End of story. I do not share or sell to somebody I don't know.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

So, my employers are once again desperate to assert their right to enter my flat without my permission.  It is rather disturbing, how insistent they are on trying to give themselves the right to enter my flat at any time.

In any case, I've told them "no."  Politely.  This time.  Next time it will be "because the first person who steps into my room and I don't know who they are, I'm picking up the nearest blunt object and hitting them as hard as I can with it".

Suu

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2016, 05:03:57 PM
So, my employers are once again desperate to assert their right to enter my flat without my permission.  It is rather disturbing, how insistent they are on trying to give themselves the right to enter my flat at any time.

In any case, I've told them "no."  Politely.  This time.  Next time it will be "because the first person who steps into my room and I don't know who they are, I'm picking up the nearest blunt object and hitting them as hard as I can with it".

This seems more than reasonable.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Home. At least teaching gets me out of the house in the mornings. Came back to a message on FB asking for one of my fabric suppliers, notably, where I purchase my elaborate historical reproductions from. The company is called Sartor, they're based in the Czech Republic, and they are not cheap. So, fancy fabrics are something that I scrimp and save for.

I then proceeded to get read the riot act by this woman because I was clearly made of money, and showing my wealth off, and that it's not fair to other people for Jeff and I to wear these super expensive brocades because not everybody can afford them.  :? Because it's my fault, somehow.

Good thing there wasn't wealth inequality in the real Middle Ages, or anything. 

LMNO

Suu

Don Coyote

Look it's real simple.

You're supposed to use only cotton or modern synthetics with Halloween costume patterns. You are only supposed to pretend.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WTF. Why are they even trying?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2016, 05:51:58 AM

My best speculation is that they need the pretext as a means to "discover" something that may be disapproved of already found by unlawful trespass.

That or they fear you enough to spoof policy for what you MIGHT know.

Neither is a good sign.
Hide your jewels Cain.
I'm sure you don't need
instructions on how.

Just don't keep the good stuff
out on the front counter for now..

knowwhatI'msay'n?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: SuuCal on July 13, 2016, 08:21:32 PM
Home. At least teaching gets me out of the house in the mornings. Came back to a message on FB asking for one of my fabric suppliers, notably, where I purchase my elaborate historical reproductions from. The company is called Sartor, they're based in the Czech Republic, and they are not cheap. So, fancy fabrics are something that I scrimp and save for.

I then proceeded to get read the riot act by this woman because I was clearly made of money, and showing my wealth off, and that it's not fair to other people for Jeff and I to wear these super expensive brocades because not everybody can afford them.  :? Because it's my fault, somehow.

Good thing there wasn't wealth inequality in the real Middle Ages, or anything.

"Stop flaunting your wealth!"

*goes back to reading magazines about celebrities with more money than God and watching My Super Sweet 16*

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2016, 05:51:58 AM

I don't understand it either.  I really don't.  If I lived here for free, I might consider it the cost of doing business.  But I don't. 

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 14, 2016, 07:43:56 AM
My best speculation is that they need the pretext as a means to "discover" something that may be disapproved of already found by unlawful trespass.

If they want to do that, they'll have to plant it themselves.

And that's going to be bloody difficult with a broken hand.

Junkenstein

Quotedon't understand it either.  I really don't.  If I lived here for free, I might consider it the cost of doing business.  But I don't. 

For fun, consider making this a matter for the police. "My employer keeps threatening to enter my home without permission, what can I do?"

Also, may be worth stating to your employers that you will employ "reasonable force".

QuoteEnglish law permits one person to kill another in self-defence only if the person defending him or herself uses no more than "reasonable force"; it is the responsibility of the jury to determine whether or not an unreasonable amount of force was used

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.