Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So, there's another gigantic wildfire near the mountain (4th one since mid-June).  By "near" I mean 5 miles away, with the prevailing winds for once being in a direction that won't incinerate the mountain.  There is also a monster storm rolling in from the Baja peninsula, so hopefully the fire will be out before it drives the coral snakes insane.

It's worth mentioning that it's easy to be dispassionate about this, as I am a further 60 miles North at this time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quotewon't incinerate the mountain

Not even trying, IMO.  Worst wildfire ever, ban it, get it out of here.

Junkenstein

It's the "For once". As in, this is an event that occurs somewhat regularly.

What the fuck kind of mountains do you have over there?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 25, 2016, 09:42:22 AM
It's the "For once". As in, this is an event that occurs somewhat regularly.

What the fuck kind of mountains do you have over there?

Tall ones that have enough water to grow lots of vegetation, but not enough to keep the vegetation from turning into tinder for 9 months out of the year.  Then lightning.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

I'd say at least you're safe-ish for 3 months of the year but it's probably an icy death trap during these 3 months.

Out of curiosity, I googled "Tucson mountain on fire". That's some remarkable shit. Keep the fuck away from that, eh?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 25, 2016, 04:32:46 PM
I'd say at least you're safe-ish for 3 months of the year but it's probably an icy death trap during these 3 months.

Out of curiosity, I googled "Tucson mountain on fire". That's some remarkable shit. Keep the fuck away from that, eh?

It's more or less like dodging laser beams.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2016, 02:22:29 AM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on July 23, 2016, 09:13:29 PM
I feel like it's safe to say that there's nothing more strange/sadly pathetic than a gay Trump supporter.

Like, how? Black people I can sort of understand because black people are largely conservative in many ways, and misogyny runs deeeeeoh nevermind....

I figured it out.

Milo Yannanananananananailoupoplos of Breitbart infamy calls Trump "daddy".

Yes, it's every bit as awkward as it sounds.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

Apparently the gathering of the juggalos is coming to Denver in 2017.

Fuck you, Monday.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Da6s on July 25, 2016, 05:37:30 PM

Fuck you, Monday.

Duuuuuude I want to go to that so bad!

Someday.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 25, 2016, 05:44:30 PM

Fuck you, Monday.

Someday.

You've a couch or air mattress in boulder if you want it. You might go alone into the breach.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Suu

So I went to the Costume Designers Guild table yesterday before I left the con, and they saw my ribbon. One girl handed me a pack of patterns for free: McCalls "cosplay" patterns which are rehashes of their really terrible ren fair designs that I outgrew about 10 years ago.  :kingmeh: So, I handed them back with a "thanks, but no thanks," took a copy of their journal and some coupons for fabric, and left.

Then I saw John Barrowman pantsless, so things were fine, really.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Da6s on July 25, 2016, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 25, 2016, 05:44:30 PM

Fuck you, Monday.

Someday.

You've a couch or air mattress in boulder if you want it. You might go alone into the breach.

Thanks!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SuuCal on July 25, 2016, 06:04:11 PM
So I went to the Costume Designers Guild table yesterday before I left the con, and they saw my ribbon. One girl handed me a pack of patterns for free: McCalls "cosplay" patterns which are rehashes of their really terrible ren fair designs that I outgrew about 10 years ago.  :kingmeh: So, I handed them back with a "thanks, but no thanks," took a copy of their journal and some coupons for fabric, and left.

Well, you can't blame the little people for not comprehending skills that are beyond their ken.

Suu

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 25, 2016, 06:20:02 PM
Quote from: SuuCal on July 25, 2016, 06:04:11 PM

Well, you can't blame the little people for not comprehending skills that are beyond their ken.

It was a nice gesture. They basically had a stack of shitty patterns they were trying to get rid of. Most likely donated by McCall's, so they were like, "Here, take a free thing." And I was like, "Nah, save this for someone who is just learning how to sew and could benefit from it." I wasn't a jerk about it, it's not like I didn't start using paper patterns. The coupons for fabric made up for it. :D

Now I have to plan for Pennsic, because I decided that I didn't want a summer, and I fly out next week.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Salty

It is so nice to see everyone keeping a calm, cool level head this election season. It's so God damned delightful to watch everyone carefully and tactfully avoid eating each other's faces. It's so fucking rad, why can't you see how rad it is, stupid?

:tyra:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.