News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Music Discussion (fair warning): Your Top 10 albums.

Started by AFK, December 11, 2009, 08:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

(By the way, I was originally going to post "Best of"'s and "Greatest Hits"es. I decided to take it a little more seriously though)

Payne

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 13, 2009, 01:59:09 PM
Seems to me that most of the people who hate on eminem are people who like serious rap. Since I got moar time for freeform fucking jazz than I do for most of that shit I tend to discount their opinions pretty readily :lulz:

Also prefered the slim shady lp to the second one (but only just)

Troof. I think I probably prefer the Slim Shady LP too, but I haven't heard it in forever as I don't have it. I do have the Marshall Mathers LP though, so it got the nod.

rong

D12 cracks me up. Bizarre is da man.
"i ain't got no money, my job i been cheated,
my girlfriend had a miscarriage.
i had to eat it."
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

bds

I flicked through my Last.fm to decide on this rough list of some of my favourite albums, at the moment.

In no particular order:

She & Him - Volume One
Lady GaGa - The Fame Monster
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism (So hard to pick an album, but I guess this one)
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Cansei de Ser Sexy - Cansei de Ser Sexy
edIT - Certified Air Raid Material
Deadmau5 - For Lack Of A Better Name
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary, Vol. 1
Justice - Cross
Pomplamoose - VideoSongs

I could go on for ages, but these are kinda the first I thought of.

Chief Uwachiquen

In no real order:

Cake - Fashion Nugget (Although most of their albums are pretty awesome)
The Classic Crime - The Silver Cord (Although Albatross does have my favorite song by them "Warrior Poet")
Damiera - Quiet Mouth Loud Hands
The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House
Fair to Midland - Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True
Flobots - Fight With Tools
Harvey Danger - King James Version
Muse - Absolution
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero or Pretty Hate Machine, can't decide
Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines or Naveed, although all of them have been great

Honorable Mentions: Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine and Something for Kate - The Official Fiction

Rumckle

Hmm, just a rough list, because I don't have my entire music library with me at the moment. Also, in no particular order:

Mish Mash - Regurgitator
My first album of theirs, and my favourite still. Plus the fact that they wrote the entire album in a plastic bubble in the middle of Melbourne is pretty cool.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Only five tracks, but every single one is brilliant, and it fits together really well.

Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack - The Seatbelts
Very eclectic, and one of the few purely instrumental albums that I can listen to for ages and not get bored.

Alive 2007 - Daft Punk
Some of the tracks aren't as great after being mixed, but it has a great mix of their songs, and is brilliant for dancing to.

Fire - Electric Six
Electric six is great, and unfortunately they've only gone downhill since Fire, but that's not hard seeing how great this album is.

Hard Road Restrung - Hilltop Hoods
One of my favourite hip hop groups being joined by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, the subtleties of the orchestra combined with their great rhymes makes this a really cool album. Plus the ending to the track Stopping All Stations on this album is much better than the original.

Live on Earth - The Cat Empire
Takes the best Cat Empire songs, from the best live recordings of them, and throws it together brilliantly. It helps that The Cat Empire is one of those bands that aree much better live than in the studio.

Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsytem
Unfortunately the first track on this album is it's weakest, but the rest are really fine, and it ends superbly.

I think that's eight, that seems like enough.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Payne on December 13, 2009, 01:53:46 PM
The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
One of THE great punk albums IMO, even if it is The Offspring. People would probably be more likely to give kudos to Smash instead, but I always preferred this one.

agreed. total diamond in the rough, that album.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Chief Uwachiquen

Quote from: Rumckle on December 13, 2009, 06:07:38 PM

Fire - Electric Six
Electric six is great, and unfortunately they've only gone downhill since Fire, but that's not hard seeing how great this album is.

Agreed, though I did enjoy Senor Smoke quite a bit. At a school function I popped in my copy into the Stereo there and played Vibrator at top volume. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V62b3W6MuxE

I didn't get in trouble for it, for whatever reason. But my coat got me suspended several times. :facepalm:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rumckle on December 13, 2009, 06:07:38 PM
Hard Road Restrung - Hilltop Hoods
One of my favourite hip hop groups being joined by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, the subtleties of the orchestra combined with their great rhymes makes this a really cool album. Plus the ending to the track Stopping All Stations on this album is much better than the original.

this is a fucking amazing album. you should check out the newest album by The Herd, if you haven't already.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Rumckle

I've heard the singles off it (and saw them live on the release tour) but I haven't listened to the whole album yet. I'll have to check it out.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Da6s

10. Brand New - Deja Entendu
9. Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
7. Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
6. Dandy Warhols - Come On Feel the Dandy Warhols
5. Garbage - Garbage
4. Massive Attack - Protection
3. Eve 6 - Horrorscope/It's All In Your Head (can't pick between the two)
2. Smashing Pumpkins - Judas & B-sides/Adore (can't pick between the two)
1. Kill Hannah - American Jet Set

Edit: Here's 10 honorable mentions in no particular order

Swollen Members - Black Magic
Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
IAMX - The Alternative
Concrete Blonde - Group Therapy
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Small Sins - Mood Swings
Pretty Lights - Filling Up the City Skies
Placebo - Black Market Music
Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything
Incubus - Morning View
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Reeducation

Albums I like. (in no particular order)

Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Converge - Axe To Fall
Phantomsmasher - Phantomsmasher
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
The iNSULT that made a man out of mac - II
Tomahawk - Tomahawk
Fantômas - Suspended Animation
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Khanate - Things Viral

I am very calm

Roaring Biscuit!

Temple of the Dog - Self-Titled
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Radiohead - The Bends
Pearl Jam - Ten
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Penny and the Poppet - Lena, Love
Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

no particular order

x

LMNO

Ok, this one is incredibly hard for me, and I'm sure that as soon as I hit "post", I'll be thinking of 20 more bands that should make it on the list.  So, the first 10 try to hit as many kinds of music as it can.  The rest of the albums are ones that should be included or mentioned.

The Stooges - Funhouse
The Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy) [this just narrowly edged out "Here Come The Warm Jets"]
Can - Tago Mago
Captain Beefheart - Mirror Man
Einsturzende Neubauten - Haus der Luge
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space

Slint - Spiderland
The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Lounge Lizards - Voice of Chunk
PiL - Album
Squirrel Bait - Squirrel Bait
Pink Floyd - Animals
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Nomeansno - Sex Mad/You Kill Me
Birthday Party - Prayers on Fire
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Cop Shoot Cop - Release
Bad Brains - Rock for Light
Fear - The Record

NWC

Quote from: Payne on December 13, 2009, 01:53:46 PM
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Actually only downloaded this after falling in love with 'Doin' The Cockroach' on the Verwirrung compilation, then immediately fell in love with every single track on it, a rare thing for me - there's usually at least ONE track I hate.

Yes yes yes. This is my favorite album from my favorite band(though I don't know if it's my favorite album ever). And I've said the exact same thing before about this album, there is no song I hate or even dislike, it's all gold.

And yeah Doin' the Cockroach is tied with Tiny Cities Made of Ashes for my favorite song of theirs to hear live. And my girlfriend think I'm crazy because I love the part "you're walking down the street, your face, your lips, your hips, your eyes they meet, you're not hungry though", and I can't even start to explain why, I have no idea.

ETA: and the drumming on this album is fully exceptional. I've only ever really payed attention to the drumming on two albums in my life, this and Tool's Lateralus.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED