News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 04:44:55 AM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on October 04, 2014, 01:20:58 AM
Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 03, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 03, 2014, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 03, 2014, 04:48:44 AM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on October 02, 2014, 09:13:39 PM
Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 01, 2014, 04:38:55 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 01, 2014, 04:04:37 AM
I'd like to offer some impractical and unsolicited advice.

Hire porters.  It's what all the best people do.

:lulz: :lulz: :mittens: :mittens:

Best impractical and unsolicited advice ITT.

a wheelie grocery bag?

drag that shit, don't heft it.

:lulz: Can't tell if srs or being facetious.

To be honest it sounds like a good suggestion.  A small luggage bag with wheels/handle might be just thing thing.

Yes, it is certainly a novel suggestion that no student has ever before considered, not in any way a common sight on all college campuses everywhere in the world, and there is no possible way that I may have rejected it for reasons I never would have anticipated explaining on a forum.

Seriously, guys, the problem with unsolicited advice based on incomplete knowledge is that it's tiresome and almost always unintentionally both condescending and stupid, and generally puts the unwilling advisee in a situation where they are explaining details that nobody gives any fucks about, like the part where their walk from downtown to south waterfront precludes dragging a stupid small case on wheels. Not to mention what a pain in the ass those things are on the bus.

I was just complaining. Not asking for solutions to a mundane problem absolutely nobody on the internet knows enough details of to possibly have the tools to solve. Suggesting really obvious solutions gives me the impression you think I'm an idiot, and is a waste of everyone's time.

apologies, my bad. or wheelie bag, IDK

Not trying to shit on your wheelie bag, Pix. It's just that I wasn't looking for advice, nor anticipating having to explain why a bunch of really rather obvious solutions that work fine for many people don't work for my particular scenario. Plus I worked out the logistics already, which is what my OP on the topic was about needing to do.

Fair enough. I often post before reading the rest of the thread.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 04:42:25 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 03, 2014, 08:33:28 PM
Just got my new salary, post-promotion.   :eek:

:eek:

:eek:

This can't be real.  Something bad is gonna happen.  God won't let me keep this.

Worse scenario: God gave it to you, because you're doing His work.

Don't think too hard about that.

Glad to hear fortune has turned your way sir. Last I seem to vaguely recall, you were in manufacturing as some sort of maintenance or production supervisor. I don't understand the concept completely, but does this constitute more slack?

And Nigel, I think Nigel?, you know if the Calvinists are right... God knew. God understands that silence is golden, and so can't be held down to it, but it ain't like He didn't know the man was all Holy and stuff. Whatever happens next is on the man from Tuscon, but if there be a He
(I prefer the male pronoun, but God invented gender and I don't concieve of God as either)
Then He saw this coming from the beginning. It's not On Him, but it's not not On Him.

As for me hard work and just the right emote sums it up.

Ok I do NOT see popcorn.. are you out or did I miss it?
well.. this works I guess... actually hell yeah!
:dream:

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If the Calvinists are right, God is evil.

At least, the Calvinist god is evil.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

"I didn't mean to shit in your wheelie bag."

Newsfeed?   :lulz:

(And that ain't a slam on Pixie, it just struck my funnybone.)
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 05:41:34 AM
If the Calvinists are right, God is evil.

At least, the Calvinist god is evil.

Well I hope that they aren't and REALLY doubt it.
Predestination vs. Free Will I had to table. The difference makes no difference to my experience so... meh.

I think that if there is a God, and I think so but accept I'm quite, quite possibly WRONG, then that being is beyond good and evil as we think of them. The laws of the jungle produced consciousness after millions of years of strife. Was all that worth it?

If there be a Diety then it appearantly thought so.
That's a choice way beyond common morality. Or even sense. It implies a totally implacable, even ruthless, mentality. The local 'face' of God, I imagine, is a Creator that set out to make other free willed creators. Then shit got complicated.
Or I'm wrong and ok if that's so, we're still potentially Godlike creators.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Hilariously, it has turned out my computer's copy of Windows is not genuine.

I'm not 100% sure that is the cause of the problems, but it does mean the company is now 110% at fault and has all legal liability.

Eater of Clowns

I have a coworker that's been out for months. His wife left him and he's been on so many med cocktails he can barely function. It's a crappy situation and I feel bad for him, but he's also a bit of a sociopath. My boss mentioned something about missing him, because he's funny as hell and gets the whole office rolling.

I spent the second half of yesterday's shift cutting out 50 wallet sized photocopies of his face and taping them everywhere in my boss's office. They're on the underside of his computer mouse, along the lights, and covering up the faces of his children on the photos on his desk. The creme de la creme is a 3x3 printout of his face colored over in dry erase markers and mounted on his wall like a demented Andy Warhol painting.

I am on vacation for 9 days. I wonder what will come of this.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 04, 2014, 01:05:36 PM
I have a coworker that's been out for months. His wife left him and he's been on so many med cocktails he can barely function. It's a crappy situation and I feel bad for him, but he's also a bit of a sociopath. My boss mentioned something about missing him, because he's funny as hell and gets the whole office rolling.

I spent the second half of yesterday's shift cutting out 50 wallet sized photocopies of his face and taping them everywhere in my boss's office. They're on the underside of his computer mouse, along the lights, and covering up the faces of his children on the photos on his desk. The creme de la creme is a 3x3 printout of his face colored over in dry erase markers and mounted on his wall like a demented Andy Warhol painting.

I am on vacation for 9 days. I wonder what will come of this.
The erased face/Andy Warhol one will be perceived as a death threat and you will be accused, convicted in absencia, and arrested upon your return.
Such sayeth the prophecy.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My accountant (with whom I have been in love for 20 years) is in town. As usual, both of us are otherwise paired up. Which is just as well, because really, what can one do from a typical distance of 2800 miles apart? So as usual, we just hang out and make wisecracks. Had dinner last night, might try to arrange some kind of group thing with all the old gang of geeks on Sunday.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, in the meantime I have @75 organic chemistry problems to answer by Monday.

I still don't really understand hybridization.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I feel like I kinda did a year ago, when I was taking gen chem, but now... damned if I remember. :lol: And I had the worst instructor for that part of the series, too.

The Wizard Joseph

Good fortune!  I kind of know I have to go to school eventually here, but for now am content, maybe a little bit too content, to labor and dream and work on ideas. But I'll need the school to realize most of what I want and dread the idea of going through all the brain training that will take. I'm no academic.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The good news is that academics are made, not born... you might be surprised by how much your perspective can shift after a year of being embedded in higher education. I was an artist for 20 years, and supported myself and my family for ten of those years, before entering academia. I love it.

Ben Shapiro

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 06:30:59 PM
The good news is that academics are made, not born... you might be surprised by how much your perspective can shift after a year of being embedded in higher education. I was an artist for 20 years, and supported myself and my family for ten of those years, before entering academia. I love it.

Yeah I remember reading bits of your story, here and there, and greatly admire your sheer grit and resulting accomplishments. I'm glad to hear that academics is a match and that you love what you're doing!

I am not uneducated, just primarily self taught, or mentored, and so not 'officially' educated. I've a very strong tendancy to seek, and some talent for filtering, info but despise having to be held accountable for it. It's not a good thing overall. Bad wiring that I just don't want to be bothered to change. Which of course is why I really have to do it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl