News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

MoreGASM

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2008, 10:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

This thread is to spitball and brainstorm ideas for project OMGASM.

Before we start mass-broadcasting OMGASM (too late, to some extent)
we should have a few GASMs set up, so if people are interested, they have an obvious way to participate.

It's also essential that our projects look like they already have people participating. I don't care if we have to fake it. If it looks like the whole of Discordia is behind us, everyone else will follow suit.

So other than putting up zany posters and meme bombs, what sort of things should Discordians do on a mass scale?

I'll get us started --

COLBERTGASM - a project to bury Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart with discordian mail. Ratatosk started this up a few months back, after Colbert made two very explicit Discordian references on his show in one week. We should flesh out this idea and post some sample letters for people to print and mail.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 22, 2008, 10:01:25 PM

Before we start mass-broadcasting OMGASM (too late, to some extent)
we should have a few GASMs set up, so if people are interested, they have an obvious way to participate.

It's also essential that our projects look like they already have people participating. I don't care if we have to fake it. If it looks like the whole of Discordia is behind us, everyone else will follow suit.

So other than putting up zany posters and meme bombs, what sort of things should Discordians do on a mass scale?

I'll get us started --

COLBERTGASM - a project to bury Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart with discordian mail. Ratatosk started this up a few months back, after Colbert made two very explicit Discordian references on his show in one week. We should flesh out this idea and post some sample letters for people to print and mail.

I'm mailing Colbert a copy of Syn's version of the Principia Discordia after I finish some work today.

Also, how do we make our project look like it already has people participating?

Furthermore, I'm in a publication class right now which foolishly allowed students to pick whatever topic they want for their publication. When finished, it will be 3 things in one:
• a magazine
• a poster
• a sticker pack
(some disassembly required)

I'll be designing it to be cheaply produced (black and white) but it will still look like a magazine. However, I haven't had a eureka moment about the content yet.

It will be "published" in a little less than 2 months timing wise.

Here's my guiding idea:

Discordia concors - harmonious discord or unity through combining conflicting elements.

I've always found angry, but intelligent discourse one of the most entertaining things (NO WAI, rite?) but there are no magazines like that. There's op-eds but you know the funniest letters never get published. So the magazine would essentially be a topic answered in approximately 200-300 words from a sampling of perspectives from the splintered world of discordia.

And that's about as far as I've thought about it. Halp pls!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

Quote from: Netaungrot on January 22, 2008, 10:46:44 PM
I'm mailing Colbert a copy of Syn's version of the Principia Discordia after I finish some work today.

Awesome, what address are you using?

QuoteAlso, how do we make our project look like it already has people participating?

Well in terms of Postergasm, I might register some alternate accounts on Flickr and upload some more poster shots - without my face in them, of course.

Another alternative is to flood 23ae and other Discordian hangouts with people saying "I'm doing this. Are you guys playing too? Everybody's doing it!"

QuoteDiscordia concors - harmonious discord or unity through combining conflicting elements.

I've always found angry, but intelligent discourse one of the most entertaining things (NO WAI, rite?) but there are no magazines like that. There's op-eds but you know the funniest letters never get published. So the magazine would essentially be a topic answered in approximately 200-300 words from a sampling of perspectives from the splintered world of discordia.

And that's about as far as I've thought about it. Halp pls!

With some creative editng, you could take any flamewar and morph it into a very entertaining magazine article.

That's not really a GASM though, unless you have some way for Discordians across the world to participate.

thought:

Printed text carries with it a great deal of authority. The type of Discordians that we're targeting with project OMGASM (activist types) are also the kind who might spend a buck or two on a black and white magazine just because it's DISCORDIANTM in nature. (count many of us in on that) Obvious correlary: Anyone who would read and be interested in a Discordian magazine is probably interested in getting involved.

If you ran an ad or article on OMGASM, including maybe a blurb or sidebar on each of the different active GASMS, it would do a lot to boost our project's credibility. Especially if you have any luck in distribuing this thing.

Cain

Multiple accounts might do the trick, in cooking the books on participation, in addition (or better, response to) our own flood.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 22, 2008, 10:01:25 PM

This, I think may be the appropriate time. Both guys are trying to stay on the air without writers... any filler we can give them... ;-0

I'll rewrite the basic GASM (convert Stewart to ELF, convert Colbert to the Illuminati and then sick them on each other as enemy agents).

I'm under no delusion that either of these guys would believe such an OMF, but they may well play along and... if that playing along happened on air, so much the better for us. ;-)

We need an address (studio or otherwise).

It might be nice if we had some kind of letterhead or something that would make many of the letters appear similar.

We need a cover story for why invitations to the Illuminati and ELF are coming in by the dozens (or hundreds if we're insanely lucky).

We need some connective tissue between letters... maybe a single esoteric phrase used in all of the letters or something like that. Make them appear to be from different people,
but obviously connected in some ordered way. LOL

We need to make some signal for them to use, to confirm their conversion ;-)

I will repost my original Colbert letter, maybe slightly modified and another for Stewart. Should I post it here, at the Wiki or in its own thread?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 23, 2008, 03:52:32 PM
I will repost my original Colbert letter, maybe slightly modified and another for Stewart. Should I post it here, at the Wiki or in its own thread?

Wiki it up, but post a link here.

RATATOSK, you have the torch. Now RUN!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 23, 2008, 04:03:07 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 23, 2008, 03:52:32 PM

Wiki it up, but post a link here.

RATATOSK, you have the torch. Now RUN!

Who gives a squirrel fire then says run?

PROFESSOR CRAMULUS!!!!!!

Cramulus

You hit the nail on the head with your post at 23ae. A bit longwinded, but it encapsulates the point most eloquently.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 23, 2008, 06:26:18 PM
You hit the nail on the head with your post at 23ae. A bit longwinded, but it encapsulates the point most eloquently.

Longwinded? LONGWINDED?!

Well, maybe just that one side... not as long winded as the other essay I wrote and posted here though...;l even I decided it was too bloated for 23ae  :fnord:

Cramulus

dude and further props for you for being able to speak whatever language it is they speak over there.

I don't know what happened. I used to be a regular poster at 23ae, and then I just sort of got bored with it. Now I go back and I can't make heads or tails of what they're saying. The comments on the OMGASM posts are a good example.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 23, 2008, 09:48:46 PM
dude and further props for you for being able to speak whatever language it is they speak over there.

I don't know what happened. I used to be a regular poster at 23ae, and then I just sort of got bored with it. Now I go back and I can't make heads or tails of what they're saying. The comments on the OMGASM posts are a good example.

LOL...

Well, from what I can see there appear to be one or two "trolls" that are doing a piss poor job of trolling. The sane comments came from names I recognize... the bullshit seems to be generated by a couple people.

As for the language they're talking... they're just trying to be cool and hip... its easy to parrot back at them... sometimes it even makes them think you're cool and hip.

LOL at the Robot's Cosmic Schmuck circuit.

(