News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Life in the Age of Dumb, part 2: A vengeful tide.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 08, 2004, 07:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollax

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: St. Trollax, ODD
Quote from: gnimbleyWelcome to the Brave New World.

I never voted for Orwell.

Nor for Huxley either, it would appear.

Nope, Or Dick, or Lovecraft, Or RAW, Or even Shatner's old Toupee

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lister
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
It is almost universally true (the jobs bit)...except for the top 9% or so.

I am shocked...

You mean TV was right?

I expected TV to lie to me; it had always lied to me before...  

The TV lies, but some of its lies are true.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDJesus Roger! even with the way the OZ economy was back in 2000 I was making twice that an hour at 16 years of age!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
CLI may be high here, but the federal minimum wage for a legal adult is $10.00 OZ per hour accross the board, for juniors it can be anywhere from $7.50 to $9.00 (what I was making in my last job) If you're a qualified professional (apprenticeship or degree) you can earn anywhere from $15.00 to $35.00 an hour. Even when the Australian dollar was worth 49.7 US cents My sister (who get's paid $20.00 an hour as a vocal teacher and $12.50 at the organic shop)  is making twice the American minimum wage...

How does it feel, to live in a civilized nation?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Trollax

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDJesus Roger! even with the way the OZ economy was back in 2000 I was making twice that an hour at 16 years of age!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
CLI may be high here, but the federal minimum wage for a legal adult is $10.00 OZ per hour accross the board, for juniors it can be anywhere from $7.50 to $9.00 (what I was making in my last job) If you're a qualified professional (apprenticeship or degree) you can earn anywhere from $15.00 to $35.00 an hour. Even when the Australian dollar was worth 49.7 US cents My sister (who get's paid $20.00 an hour as a vocal teacher and $12.50 at the organic shop)  is making twice the American minimum wage...

:lol:

*Falls off chair in hysterics*

Oh that's rich! Sure, I can earn enough pocket change from an average job but you tell me how a country which imprisons people for the heinous crime of running away from war, poverty, disease, and famine for five years is civilised?
Damn ociffer, I didn't know it was a death sentence for fleeing an exploding carbomb. If I had've known that I would have gotten myself shrapnelled.

The Good Reverend Roger

:lol:

*Falls off chair in hysterics*

Oh that's rich! Sure, I can earn enough pocket change from an average job but you tell me how a country which imprisons people for the heinous crime of running away from war, poverty, disease, and famine for five years is civilised?
Damn ociffer, I didn't know it was a death sentence for fleeing an exploding carbomb. If I had've known that I would have gotten myself shrapnelled.

America, OTOH, has 5% of the world's population, and 25% of the world's imprisoned population.

You were saying?

Trollax

There are obviously different degrees of civilisation. I'm sure a totally civilised nation would involve a prison 3,000 miles a side where the guards lock themselves up at night and the warden in a perfect bundle of neuroses who worries that if he worries about thinking about sex that god might think that's just as bad as stabbing puppies. Or in Shrub's case, he's been lobotomised to have no metacognitive capacity at all. Psychologists have a term for a state where a person is unable to fully appreciate their own thought processes... It's called childhood.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Yeah. Bush claimed that in the last year his administration presided over the creation of 1.4 million new jobs. When I heard that, I was thinking "Uh huh. Bite me." If working at Walmart at 5.40 an hour is your idea of a splendid new job. We have people who used to make more than enough to live on now having to earn minimum wage or just over it. Workers who did factory gigs at about 12-18 dollars an hour now must do the same job for 6-9 dollars an hour, if they can even find a similar fricken job. Old people who are supposedly retired(tm) are working to make ends meet. Bankruptcies are on the rise, (I think last year's chapter 7 total was almost two million people) and so is the cost of living.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Trollax

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSCYeah. Bush claimed that in the last year his administration presided over the creation of 1.4 million new jobs. When I heard that, I was thinking "Uh huh. Bite me." If working at Walmart at 5.40 an hour is your idea of a splendid new job. We have people who used to make more than enough to live on now having to earn minimum wage or just over it. Workers who did factory gigs at about 12-18 dollars an hour now must do the same job for 6-9 dollars an hour, if they can even find a similar fricken job. Old people who are supposedly retired(tm) are working to make ends meet. Bankruptcies are on the rise, (I think last year's chapter 7 total was almost two million people) and so is the cost of living.

Hugh, you know that the sewer grates were actually made with the letters "PMC" on them waaaay back in the 40's don't you? If there was ever a sign to get out of Amerika, this is one...

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Hugh, you know that the sewer grates were actually made with the letters "PMC" on them waaaay back in the 40's don't you? If there was ever a sign to get out of Amerika, this is one...

Amerika? Or Amerikkka?

Sometimes the I think the only way I'm getting of America is to hack my way out piece by piece.  (Living here can do that to one's mind.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSCYeah. Bush claimed that in the last year his administration presided over the creation of 1.4 million new jobs. When I heard that, I was thinking "Uh huh. Bite me." If working at Walmart at 5.40 an hour is your idea of a splendid new job. We have people who used to make more than enough to live on now having to earn minimum wage or just over it. Workers who did factory gigs at about 12-18 dollars an hour now must do the same job for 6-9 dollars an hour, if they can even find a similar fricken job. Old people who are supposedly retired(tm) are working to make ends meet. Bankruptcies are on the rise, (I think last year's chapter 7 total was almost two million people) and so is the cost of living.

He did.  Now, ask what his NET new job creation record is...

(Hint:  He shares stats with his dad and Herbert Hoover.)

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Meaning he sucks ass crack hairs?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSC

Meaning he is one of only three US presidents to have a net NEGATIVE job creation record.

Rupert Giles

Meaning he is one of only three US presidents to have a net NEGATIVE job creation record.

Could you please express that as a corollary to the third law of thermodynamics, as it relates to why I'm hungry?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Compositus Confusio

Could you please express that as a corollary to the third law of thermodynamics, as it relates to why I'm hungry?

Sure.  In layman's terms, you don't have a job, because Bush ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES corporations to send jobs to Malaysia, etc...you can't buy food, because you have no job, so you are hungry.

Action.  Reaction.  Slow starvation.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC