News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 01:16:15 PM
It actually would still be part of the EU.  There was a big and dishonest campaign by the No Vote over here to say Scotland would have to reapply, until the EU said "uh, no they don't actually".  It would probably have to reapply to join NATO though...if it wanted to, which it isn't clear is the case.

And sure, Scotland would be viable on its own.  I mean, it's a first world economy, high level of education, tourism, a mixture of high-tech and heavy industry, decent exports.  It may not be quite as viable as it is as part of the UK...but it's really a matter of degrees.  It'd be like Belgium, or something.

If Scotland do leave the union then the rest of the dis-UK will not be as viable either. Which would make us erm, something like Belgium; so kinda like reality catching up with pd memes. Its a third of our land mass but only c. 5.4 M population

Also, Cain wtf is with this Glees chap?
"Professor Anthony Glees of the Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies at the University of Buckingham said: "ISIS are masters of propaganda and realise the impact of selecting a Scot."
Allowing that his splurging allover the Scottish sunday papers is unbelievably tacky and leaves a bad taste in the mouth, is there any substance to his claims?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Yes, but England (and Wales, I guess) still retains nuclear weapons and a seat on the UNSC.  As Russia's experience in the 1990s shows, that can go a hell of a long way.

As for Glees...he's your usual right-wing espionage buff and German history fanatic, who thinks that qualifies him to be an expert on terrorism...somehow.  He imagines conspiracies of Marxists and Islamists on every campus (except his own) and, for a supposed historian of espionage thinks "it would be naïve to imagine that in a liberal democracy, those providing them [intelligence assessments] would, or could, agree to falsify intelligence even if [it] were technically possible."

There's a nice dossier on him here http://powerbase.info/index.php/Anthony_Glees  You'll notice the continual links to the Henry Jackson Society and Social Affairs Unit.

As for the claims...maybe.  It's possible one of the twats who signed up with ISIS said something to the effect of "there's this big referendum on about Scotland, so killing a Scot might get us more headlines".  They are fairly propaganda savvy, high production techniques, sophisticated equipment, smart use of social media.  But I doubt ISIS really give two shits about Scotland at all.

Cain

I mean, seriously though.  How is this fuck considered an expert on terrorism?  Because he can run his mouth without fear of looking like an idiot, even though he is one?

I'm more of a fucking expert on terrorism.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 09:32:12 PM

I'm more of a fucking expert on terrorism.

Well, yeah. 

But right wing nutjobs make better press.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Yeah  :sad:

It's always easier to push any kind of pre-packaged ideological agenda than deal with the messy facts on the ground.  And they don't come much more pre-packaged than Thatcherite Neoconservatism. 

Still, it galls.  I write for peanuts and carefully research everything I put into print...he runs his mouth like a moron with an agenda, and gets paid a ton for it, gives evidence to Parliament, is hired as an "advisor", gets freedom to do so in the national press.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 09:37:04 PM
Yeah  :sad:

It's always easier to push any kind of pre-packaged ideological agenda than deal with the messy facts on the ground.  And they don't come much more pre-packaged than Thatcherite Neoconservatism. 

Still, it galls.  I write for peanuts and carefully research everything I put into print...he runs his mouth like a moron with an agenda, and gets paid a ton for it, gives evidence to Parliament, is hired as an "advisor", gets freedom to do so in the national press.

Well, in my experience, the English are like the Americans in that they prefer "easy answers" to complex problems.  Even if those answers are not only wrong, but even counterproductive.

Are you still blogging?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Not at the moment.  I have my writing job for the think tank though, so I'm still published on a weekly basis...even if I find their provisions a bit restricting.  We also submitted a report to Parliament recently, which I helped author, so I'm hoping I can wrangle that into something more profitable. 

But likely nothing will happen until I graduate, and so have the credentials to back up my judgement.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Not at the moment.  I have my writing job for the think tank though, so I'm still published on a weekly basis...even if I find their provisions a bit restricting.  We also submitted a report to Parliament recently, which I helped author, so I'm hoping I can wrangle that into something more profitable. 

But likely nothing will happen until I graduate, and so have the credentials to back up my judgement.

You might consider doing something similar to the war nerd. 

Cain

That's true.  Perhaps after the think tank, since my contract is somewhat restrictive, or else under a pseudonym.

I'll give more thought to that.  Thanks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 08, 2014, 09:55:08 PM
That's true.  Perhaps after the think tank, since my contract is somewhat restrictive, or else under a pseudonym.

I'll give more thought to that.  Thanks.

Then a bunch of us pump you on various social networks, see if we can get it to go viral.

The Good Reverend Roger

And didn't the war nerd turn out to be some actual policy wonk writing under a pen name?

Cain

Well, an English professor.  But yeah, not exactly who you'd expect.

Junkenstein

Electioneering in Nigeria:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-29130369

QuoteWith over 200 schoolgirls abducted in April still missing, many Nigerians are outraged that the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag is being adapted as a political slogan for President Goodluck Jonathan's re-election.

In one sense, you can understand what the president's supporters were thinking. The #BringBackOurGirls hashtag, calling for 200 school girls abducted by Boko Haram militants in April, became one of the world's biggest ever social media campaigns. So why not borrow the slogan for the president's re-election campaign?

The hashtag #BringBackGoodluck2015 seems to have first been used on Twitter by a group campaigning on behalf of the president. On 30th August, they tweeted: "There is no vacancy in Aso rock [the president's palace] we want Goodluck Jonathan again #NigeriansDemand #BringBackJonathan2015." It is unclear whether it has been officially endorsed but it has been widely used on printed banners at campaigning events across the country.

QuoteJapheth Omojuwa, a columnist at Nigerian newspaper Punch, told BBC Trending that he felt the decision to use the slogan was "absurd".

"They are using variation of our hashtag #BringBackOurGirls to campaign for the president," he said. "These are people that failed to secure the release of these girls over 150 days since their kidnap."

The most depressing thing here is that it'll probably fucking work. At least there's an acknowledgement that shit is fucked and the kids are still missing. How much inactivity on an issue do you need before it's reasonable to suspect collusion? Because it wouldn't shock me to be honest.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Stories you were kind of expecting, in some fashion #555267/B -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21313208

QuoteIraq veteran and ex-US Navy seal Chris Kyle, known as the deadliest sniper in US history, has been shot dead on a Texas shooting range, reports say.

His body was found at Rough Creek Lodge range on Saturday along with that of his neighbour, Chad Littlefield.

Iraq war veteran Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been charged with murdering both.

Mr Kyle, 38, wrote the 2012 bestseller American Sniper, about the psychology of a sniper, in which he said that he had killed more than 250 people.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Rest of the UK news in brief:

Phones4U, a chain of mobile phone shops built and previously run by known scumbag John Caudwell has gone bang. No shits given unless you work there. Curiously his Wikipedia page mentions nothing of his shady style of business or various indiscretions. It's obviously paranoia that would make me suspect this billionaire has paid someone to keep his image clean.

The three main political parties are doing their best to convince Scotland to go independent. I had assumed that this was a foregone "No" conclusion but they really are pulling out all the stops to piss everyone off. If I had to put money on it right now, I'd guess Yes by a small margin.  This should be over in a few days and it's good to know that whatever happens, it's likely to be fucking grim. I can't take SNP clowns any more seriously than other clowns so the real questions should be more about what's going to fuck up first. It's actually quite painful in some ways as the criticisms levelled at Westminister (for instance - Private finance initiatives - Basically a huge con, fucking joke and have been used to funnel government cash to friendly corporations for years. Looking at you, Capita.) are dead on. Unfortunately the proposed fixes are either non-existent or open to at least as many issues.

My best suggestion would be to shove the most vicious members of the SNP and EDL into a pub car park and let that decide it. It's a little more honest than what's currently happening.

There's also the usual batch of child abuse scandals and revelations so it's just another great day in the UK.