News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

So did you know

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 16, 2014, 12:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

...that your skin has odor receptors?

Your whole body is a nose.

You're welcome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

no, but that explains a lot.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

LMNO

Well, anal just got a lot more... interesting.

Cain

This almost sounds like something from the "did-yuo-know" tumblr.  Except for the fact its real, of course.

There has to be a niche tumblr audience for that, for things which are factual but sound like they're made up to sound factual.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 12:43:29 AM

You're welcome.

I know this on account of vindaloo.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2014, 12:27:32 PM
This almost sounds like something from the "did-yuo-know" tumblr.  Except for the fact its real, of course.

There has to be a niche tumblr audience for that, for things which are factual but sound like they're made up to sound factual.

This idea has legs.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Especially if it had links to well known parody sites in the sidebar.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
Especially if it had links to well known parody sites in the sidebar.

:lulz: This is an entirely new twist on misinformation.

Faust

You're welcome.

How does this work, are their functions related to perspiration, heat detection etc?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on October 16, 2014, 03:46:14 PM

You're welcome.

How does this work, are their functions related to perspiration, heat detection etc?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/science/smell-turns-up-in-unexpected-places.html
"If you think of olfactory receptors as specialized chemical detectors, instead of as receptors in your nose that detect smell, then it makes a lot of sense for them to be in other places," said Jennifer Pluznick, an assistant professor of physiology at Johns Hopkins University who in 2009 found that olfactory receptors help control metabolic function and regulate blood pressure in the kidneys of mice."
People call them olfactory receptors because the first place that they identified these structures was in the noses of members of their own species.

QuoteHumans have about 350 different kinds of olfactory receptors, and that is on the low end for vertebrates. (Mice, and other animals that depend heavily on their sense of smell for finding food and evading predators, have more than 1,000.)

Quote"More than 15 of the olfactory receptors that exist in the nose are also found in human skin cells," said the lead researcher, Dr. Hanns Hatt.

Its still an interesting finding, though, with potential for the development of treatments which, historically, (and by that I mean right up to the day before the research was published) would have sounded as weird and off-the-wall as dowsing or dare I say homeopathy or any other "treatment" which sounds utterly unbelievable.

edit for missing punctuation
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You're welcome.

They work the same way as the ones in our noses do (detecting and recognizing odor molecules) but rather than routing that information through the thalamus for conscious recognition, they seem to serve a regulatory function, responding to certain odors by triggering biochemical cascades that regulate how our cells transcribe DNA to produce certain proteins. For example, for reasons no one understands, exposing the skin to the odor of sandalwood triggers a cascade that results in more rapid healing of wounds.

trix

lol I wonder if I could hold my nose and still detect the scent of something strong and easily recognizable.
I want to try this experiment!
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 09:37:18 PM

You're welcome.

They work the same way as the ones in our noses do (detecting and recognizing odor molecules) but rather than routing that information through the thalamus for conscious recognition, they seem to serve a regulatory function, responding to certain odors by triggering biochemical cascades that regulate how our cells transcribe DNA to produce certain proteins. For example, for reasons no one understands, exposing the skin to the odor of sandalwood triggers a cascade that results in more rapid healing of wounds.
Rapid healing? I'm guessing that is caused by free radicals.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on October 16, 2014, 10:33:01 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 09:37:18 PM

You're welcome.

Rapid healing? I'm guessing that is caused by free radicals.

Is joke? I don't get it. :?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: trix on October 16, 2014, 09:43:25 PM
lol I wonder if I could hold my nose and still detect the scent of something strong and easily recognizable.
I want to try this experiment!

You probably could, but more likely due to sneaky odor molecules sneaking into your nasal chamber, not due to the olfactory receptors in your skin, because they do not route to the odor-recognizing part of your brain.