News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Top Secret America

Started by Adios, July 20, 2010, 05:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Dok, i would be remiss to say that i wasn't afraid of the police/surveillance state simply because it is unable to cull threats from the mountain of data.  It is still scary because if anyone in that monster decides they don't like you, they can search the mountain of data to find crap to put you away with.
Even if it's hard to find an unknown unknown from the data, it isn't hard to find info to pin on a specific person, i would wager.

also, i would say that i used to think security clearance was something special.
it's not.
i've got secret clearance, and there's got to be at least a hundred in my company that have top secret.  and we're just a flight simulator company...

Adios

Now I wonder how this compares to the former Soviet Union.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on July 20, 2010, 06:14:08 PM
Dok, i would be remiss to say that i wasn't afraid of the police/surveillance state simply because it is unable to cull threats from the mountain of data. 

I'm not afraid of them, because they're dumb.  And because I refuse to be afraid of statists, particularly incompetent ones.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 20, 2010, 06:17:29 PM
I'm not afraid of them, because they're dumb.  And because I refuse to be afraid of statists, particularly incompetent ones.

dumb and weilding power.   fear is not necessarily weakness.  i think fear is appropriate in this case.
y'know.  the kind of fear that compels an animal to strike down a threat.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on July 20, 2010, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 20, 2010, 06:17:29 PM

dumb and weilding power.   fear is not necessarily weakness.  i think fear is appropriate in this case.
y'know.  the kind of fear that compels an animal to strike down a threat.

I think it's funny, though, which I feel is more appropriate.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 20, 2010, 06:16:39 PM

The KGB managed twice as much on half the budget.  But then they were smart.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on July 20, 2010, 06:26:45 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on July 20, 2010, 06:16:39 PM

The KGB managed twice as much on half the budget.  But then they were smart.

Good point.

Cain

The Mitrokhin Archive and Oleg Kalugin's biography tend to show that when it came to covert action, infiltration and information gathering, the KGB were a cut above pretty much everyone else.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on July 20, 2010, 06:46:24 PM
The Mitrokhin Archive and Oleg Kalugin's biography tend to show that when it came to covert action, infiltration and information gathering, the KGB were a cut above pretty much everyone else.

I think here "Doing Something About It" has been confused to throwing money at it. In everything.

As far as National Security it seems we have used the shotgun effect but we fired far too many rounds. Our focus has scattered to the winds and oddly it may be our saving grace.

What? One can always hope. Can't they?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 20, 2010, 06:53:16 PM

I think here "Doing Something About It" has been confused to throwing money at it. In everything.

As far as National Security it seems we have used the shotgun effect but we fired far too many rounds. Our focus has scattered to the winds and oddly it may be our saving grace.

Of course.  By now, all these organizations are dedicating all their time to spying on each other.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 20, 2010, 06:55:19 PM

Of course.  By now, all these organizations are dedicating all their time to spying on each other.

I tried but I just can't get myself to doubt this.

Jasper

I'm in the wrong business.  This intelligence shit sounds like so much fun.

Elder Iptuous

Sig,
if everything is as convoluted, bureaucratic, and having money blasted at it as from a fully automatic shotgun like portrayed in this thread, then there is surely a way that you can put in for funding for a private contract intelligence company, thus starting an official Discordian Intelligence Disorganization...

Jasper

I'll poke around.  There's got to be a way I can get a piece of this action.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on July 20, 2010, 07:02:46 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 20, 2010, 06:55:19 PM

I tried but I just can't get myself to doubt this.

Celine's Laws demand it.

Hey, not everything RAW wrote was garbage...
Molon Lube