News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Igniting letters in DC and Maryland post offices.

Started by Adios, January 07, 2011, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Washington (CNN) -- Metropolitan police were at a northeastern Washington postal sorting facility where at least one envelope ignited Friday, police spokeswoman Officer Tisha Gant said.

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security official said there are "similar characteristics" but no proven connection to incidents Thursday when mailed devices ignited in two Maryland state offices.

The building at 3300 V Street NE has been evacuated, she said.

The envelope that ignited was not opened and did not go off in an employee's hands, a law enforcement source said. The person tossed it into a sorting bin and then smelled smoke. A source on the scene said that all the employees had been accounted for.

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have sent agents to the Washington facility.

The facility -- which was built after the 2001 anthrax attacks to screen mail headed for federal offices -- is a few blocks from the District of Columbia's border with Maryland. Amtrak tracks are nearby.

Mailed devices containing a small battery and an electric match ignited in two Maryland state offices Thursday, mildly wounding two state employees when they opened the packages. The Maryland offices affected were in Baltimore and Annapolis.

Messages accompanying the devices used the words "report suspicious activity." Based on the packages' destinations, a government official told CNN he thinks the person was referring to flashing road signs posted on some Maryland roads that carry those words.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/07/district.of.columbia.mail.ignited/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

This will not end well.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Phox

Prince Glittersnatch III

Whos willing to bet hes going to publish a manifesto?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

The Good Reverend Roger

Who's willing to bet the CIA can't even make letter bombs properly anymore?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Good enough odds that I'm not putting money down one way or another.  Though I'd equally expect that they just decided they don't need real explosives to justify a crackdown on security theater critics.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

I'd like to think this is too lame for even the CIA to consider.  Unfortunately, I remember their attempts at killing Castro.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb.  Suspect is white, male, single, unemployed, either over a long term recently or fired from a long-time position doing manual or semi-skilled labour.  Of average IQ, above average weight, has problems with intimacy and dealing with conflict or emotional situations up close.  Between the ages of 17 to 50, high school education, probably shitting bricks right now as he left forensic evidence on the devices.

Sending the devices was probably the after-effect of some humiliating or traumatic event, perhaps a divorce or relationship breakup, losing a civil court case or a similar event.  This was an attempt to lash out and get revenge by someone not very smart and not confident enough in either their bomb-making skills or their ability to control themselves if they tried to gain revenge through personal presence.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
I'd like to think this is too lame for even the CIA to consider.  Unfortunately, I remember their attempts at killing Castro.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb.  Suspect is white, male, single, unemployed, either recently fired from a long-time position doing manual or semi-skilled labour.  Of average IQ, above average weight, has problems with intimacy and dealing with conflict or emotional situations up close.  Between the ages of 17 to 50, high school education, probably shitting bricks right now as he left forensic evidence on the devices.

Add a pick-up truck with a rebel flag on it.

Cain

That would be the likely stereotype, though it should be recalled the Unambomber started off with the same kind of bombings though admittedly utilizing more complex devices, and was if anything an anarcho-primitivist.