News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Uganda proposes death penalty for HIV positive gays

Started by Da6s, November 28, 2009, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Hey, by the way, guess whose breakfast club President Museveni is part of?

QuoteDennis Bakke, former CEO of AES, the largest independent power producer in the world, and a Family insider, took the occasion of the 1997 Prayer Breakfast to invite Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni, the Family's "key man" in Africa, to a private dinner at a mansion, just up the block from the Family's Arlington headquarters.

Jeff Shartlet, The Family, page 23

QuoteLong-term goals are best summarized in a document called "Youth Corps Vision." Another Family project, Youth Corps distributes pleasant brochures featuring endorsements from political leaders—among them Tsutomu Hata, a former prime minister of Japan, former secretary of state James Baker, and Yoweri Museveni, president of Uganda—and full of enthusiastic rhetoric about helping young people to learn the principles of leadership. The name Jesus is never mentioned.

But "Youth Corps Vision," which is intended only for members of the Family ("it's kinda secret," Josh cautioned me), is more direct.  The Vision is to mobilize thousands of young people worldwide — committed to the principles, precepts, and person of Jesus Christ . . . 

QuoteA group of highly dedicated individuals who are united together having a total commitment to use their lives to daily seek to
mature into people who talk like Jesus, act like Jesus, think like Jesus. This group will have the responsibility to:

—see that the commitment and action is maintained to the overall vision;
—see that the inest and best invisible organization is developed and maintained at all levels of the work;
—even though the structure is hidden, see that the Fam-ily atmosphere is maintained, so that all people can feel a part of the Family.

Youth Corps, whose programs are often centered around Ivanwald-style  houses, prepares the best of its recruits for positions of power in business and government abroad. Its programs are in operation in Rus sia, Ukraine, Romania, India, Pakistan, Uganda, Nepal, Bhutan, Ecuador, Honduras, Peru, and other countries.

Jeff Shartlet, The Family, page 46

Quote"Do you ever think about prayer?" he asked, but it wasn't a question. Coe was preparing a parable.

There was a man he knew, he said, who didn't really believe in prayer. So Doug Coe made him a bet. If this man would choose something and pray for it every day for  forty-ive days, he wagered God would make it so. It didn't matter whether the man believed or whether he was a Christian. All that mattered was the fact of prayer. Every day. Forty-ive days. He  couldn't lose, Coe told the man. If Jesus didn't answer his prayers, Coe would pay him $500.
"What should I pray for?" the man asked.
"What do you think God would like you to pray for?" Doug Coe asked him.
"I don't know," said the man. "How about Africa?"
"Good," said Coe. "Pick a country."
"Uganda," the man said, because it was the only one he could remember.
"Fine," Coe told him. "Every day, for  forty-five days, pray for Uganda. 'God, please help Uganda. God, please help Uganda.' "

On the thirty-second day, Coe told us, this man met a woman from Uganda. She worked with orphans. Come visit, she told the man, and so he did, that very weekend. And when he came home, he raised $1 million in donated medicine for the orphans. "So you see," Doug Coe told him, "God answered your prayers. You owe me five hundred dollars."

There was more. After the man had returned to the United States, the president of Uganda called the man at his home and said,
"I am making a new government. Will you help me make some decisions?"
"So," Doug Coe told us, "my friend said to the president, 'Why don't you come and pray with me in America? I have a good group of
friends—senators,  congressmen—who I like to pray with, and they'd like to pray with you.' And that president came to the Cedars, and he
met Jesus. And his name is Yoweri Museveni, and he is now the president of all the presidents in Africa. And he is a good friend of the Family."
"That's awesome," Beau said.

Coe had told this story many times before, I'd learn; it now appears recycled in evangelical sermons around the world, a bit of fundamentalist folklore. It's false. Doug's friend was not just an ordinary businessman but a well-connected former Ford administration official named Bob Hunter. He may have made a bet with Coe, but his trip was hardly as casual as Coe suggested; I later found two memos totaling eighteen pages that Hunter had submitted to Coe, "A Trip to East Africa—Fall 1986," and "Re: Organizing the Invisible," detailing his meetings with Ugandan and Kenyan government officials (many of whom he already knew) and the possibility of recruiting each for the Family. Central to Hunter's mission was representing the interests of American political  igures—Republican senator Chuck Grassley and Reagan's assistant secretary of state for Africa, Chester A. Crocker, among them—who might inluence newly independent Uganda away from Africa's Left.

The following year, Museveni met with Ronald Reagan at the White  House; he's served as an American proxy ever since. Once heralded as a democratic reformer, Museveni rules Uganda to this day, having suspended term limits, intimidated the press, and installed the kind of corrupt but stable regime Washington prefers in struggling nations.

pages 53-4

QuoteUganda, which following the collapse of Siad Barre's Somalia became the focus of the Family's interests in the African Horn, has
been the most tragic victim of this projection of American sexual anxieties. Following implementation of one of the continent's only successful anti-AIDS program, President Yoweri Museveni, the Family's key man in Africa, came under pressure from the United
States to emphasize abstinence instead of condoms. Congressman Pitts wrote that pressure into law, redirecting millions of dollars from efective sex-ed programs to projects such as Unruh's. This pressure achieved the desired result: an evangelical revival in Uganda, and a stigmatization of condoms and those who use them so severe that some college campuses held condom bonires. Meanwhile, Ugandan souls may be more "pure," but their bodies are sufering; following the American intervention, the Ugandan AIDS rate, once dropping, nearly doubled. This fact goes unmentioned by activists such as Unruh and politicians such as Pitts, who continue to promote Uganda as an abstinence success story.

The actual fate of Ugandan citizens was never their concern. Pitts, in the Family tradition, may have had geopolitics on the mind: with Ethiopia limping along following decades of civil war and dictatorship and Somalia veering toward a Taliban state, tiny, Anglophone Uganda has become an American wedge into Islamic Africa. But the American uses and abuses of Uganda are still more cynical: Christian Africa has been appropriated for a story with which American fundamentalists argue for domestic policy, a parable detached from African realities, preached for the beneit of Americans. In Unruh's telling, the ostensible "success" of Uganda's abstinence program justifies the miseducation of American schoolchildren.

page 328

That's right, the President of Uganda is part of the Christian mafia.  He's one of Doug Coe's international caporegime.

Cain

Quote from: Da6s on November 28, 2009, 10:00:03 PM
Other news, same topic, Apparently DC's C Street group is tied to this bill:
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2009/11/25/the-family-c-street-group-tied-to-uganda-death-penalty-for-gays/

Quote[The] new legislation adds to this something called aggravated homosexuality. And this can include, for instance, if a gay man has sex with another man who is disabled, that's aggravated homosexuality, and that man can be – I suppose both, actually, could be put to death for this. The use of any drugs or any intoxicants in seeking gay sex – in other words, you go to a bar and you buy a guy a drink, you're subject to the death penalty if you go home and sleep together after that. What it also does is it extends this outward, so that if you know a gay person and you don't report it, that could mean – you don't report your son or daughter, you can go to prison.

And it goes further, to say that any kind of promotion of these ideas of homosexuality, including by foreigners, can result in prison terms. Talking about same sex-marriage positively can lead you to imprisonment for life. And it's really kind of a perfect case study and the export of a lot of American largely evangelical ideas about homosexuality exported to Uganda, which then takes them to their logical end.

Oops, missed this.  Anyway, its good to have the above quotes to read.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Hell, we were "debating" things like this 25 years ago in this country - not quite as seriously, of course, but the gutter tabloids were floating the idea to see how receptive the public was to it, and anyone who thinks Fleet Street's worst and dimmest do anything like that without political cover should have their vote revoked for being too stupid for politics.

And we didn't even need religion as a reason.

Requia ☣

I really need to get around to reading that book.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Wizard

God dammit. Just more proof of how fucking low this species has fallen.
Insanity we trust.

Cain

I finally read that link, and Shartlet points out another Family connection:

QuoteSHARLET: [The] legislator that introduces the bill, a guy named David Bahati, is a member of the Family. He appears to be a core member of the Family. He works, he organizes their Uganda National Prayer Breakfast and oversees a African sort of student leadership program designed to create future leaders for Africa, into which the Family has poured millions of dollars working through a very convoluted chain of linkages passing the money over to Uganda...

Looking at the the Family's 990s [IRS records], where they're moving their money to – into this African leadership academy called Cornerstone, which runs two programs: Youth Corps, which [it] has described in the past as an international "invisible family binding together world leaders" and also, an alumni organization designed to place Cornerstone grads – graduates of this sort of very elite educational program and politics and NGO's through something called the African Youth Leadership Forum, which is run by – according to Ugandan media – which is run by David Bahati...

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/21/uganda_s_anti_homosexuality_bill_when_soft_power_goes_wrong

QuoteThe U.N. and the U.S. government, along with countries such as Britain, Canada and Sweden, have expressed their strong disapproval of the bill. Their displeasure has had an effect: during a January 19th cabinet meeting, the Ugandan government agreed to form a committee to amend the bill, with cabinet members citing the possibility of aid cuts by Western governments as a chief reason behind their reservations. The bill's author, MP David Bahati, held strong for a little longer. That is, until today when he expressed willingness to change some key clauses of the legislation.

Of course, none of this means that gay Ugandans will be getting a fair shake anytime soon -- especially when 95 percent of those surveyed in the country believe homosexuality should continue to be criminalized.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Aufenthatt

:|
Can you imagine the legislation that would get passed if you bred the Ugandan and the Iranian governments?