News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

HYPOTHETICAL: Which is the Least Offensive Explanation?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, November 11, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypothetical question: If scientists found preserved, advanced tools in Triassic rocks, which of the following explanations would offend your sensibilities the least?

Humans must have co-existed with dinosaurs.
3 (13%)
I'm not saying it's aliens, but... ALIENS.
2 (8.7%)
Time travelers.
3 (13%)
Dinosaurs made advanced tools.
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Q. G. Pennyworth

In this hypothetical: the tools in question are at least as complicated as a screwdriver; the tools are 100% without a doubt from the same time period as the surrounding rock; the scientists in question are actually not pulling anyone's leg.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In terms of Occam's Razor, the most sensible explanation is that dinosaurs or other contemporary organisms made advanced tools. IMO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

That's the one I opted for, too. Although it would be such a black swan, it's practically meaningless to speculate. The humans coexisting with dinosaurs is the only one I would discount out of hand.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Cain

How hypothetical is this hypothetical?  Yes, this will influence my answer.

LMNO

So.... there are tools, but no structures on which the tools were used?

Just tools.  And this is a singular finding.

My razor says that there's something faulty with the premise, and to double check the "100% without a doubt" claim.

Eater of Clowns

Utah raptors with claw hammers is not only inoffensive, it is heartwarming.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Time travellers.  Who all failed and died, because they're the sort of fuckers who leave important tools laying around.
Molon Lube

Cain

Merked to death by Scottish dinosaurs, with their own screwdrivers.  Sad, but forseeable.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on November 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
How hypothetical is this hypothetical?  Yes, this will influence my answer.

Very hypothetical.

Cain

So, I shouldn't expect the NSA to smash down my door then?  Well, in that case.....dinosaurs made the tools requires the least amount of disruption to our current understanding of the world.

Though probably what happened was scientist error.

Nephew Twiddleton

Given that these are the only explanations left:

1: Overwhelming evidence of the course and timing of mammalian evolution as well as mass extinction makes this exceedingly unlikely.
2: More likely, but there's still the tricky questions of where are they now, why did they leave, and how did they get here.
3: This is explains the otherwise apparent lack of civilization, except, you know, time travel into the past, which given our current understanding of physics is less likely than interstellar travel.
4: Considering that there are several tool using species on this planet, some of which are the dinosaurs' descendants, and the only thing that sets us in the tool making department is metallurgy, I'd have to go with this option. Some species at that time was able to achieve a level of culture that achieved metalworking, but fell short of industrialization.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually, I change my mind.

Time travelling alien-human hybrid sent back to genetically engineer and enslave dinosaurs to get double to gold out of the Earth's resources, because aliens like gold.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 11, 2014, 02:53:06 PM

1: Overwhelming evidence of the course and timing of mammalian evolution as well as mass extinction makes this exceedingly unlikely.
2: More likely, but there's still the tricky questions of where are they now, why did they leave, and how did they get here.
3: This is explains the otherwise apparent lack of civilization, except, you know, time travel into the past, which given our current understanding of physics is less likely than interstellar travel.
4: Considering that there are several tool using species on this planet, some of which are the dinosaurs' descendants, and the only thing that sets us in the tool making department is metallurgy, I'd have to go with this option. Some species at that time was able to achieve a level of culture that achieved metalworking, but fell short of industrialization.

They could have had planet-spanning urbanization, and we would never know it.  Not a trace would remain after all this time.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 11, 2014, 03:00:32 PM

They could have had planet-spanning urbanization, and we would never know it.  Not a trace would remain after all this time.

Fair point. They would have had to have died out prior to exhausting carbon fuels though.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 11, 2014, 03:06:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 11, 2014, 03:00:32 PM

Fair point. They would have had to have died out prior to exhausting carbon fuels though.

65 million years is plenty of time for petroleum deposits to form.
Molon Lube