News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Israel starving refugees to death at its border

Started by Verbal Mike, September 05, 2012, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/05/eritrean-refugees-at-israeli-egyptian-border
One of those days when I'm especially ashamed of what my home country does. Not sure if it's mentioned in the Guardian article, but last night some Israeli civilians tried to approach the fence to give the refugees some food, and the army refused to let them through or even pass the food on for them, apparently on official orders.

And people I know are defending this, or at least deflecting it with "yeah but why aren't you criticizing Assad for his atrocities?" or "but isn't Egypt even more responsible for this situation?".

Also, caffeine and nicotine withdrawal. Just kill me.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Suu

In Romney's Americaâ„¢, Mexicans will be treated in a similar manner on our Great Wall of Texas.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

So Israeli defenders of this action are essentially saying they should be held to the same standards as a shaky military dictatorship with a political leadership made up of religious extremists or a man butchering his own civilian population?

Yeah, not really convincing me of the rightness of this action with those red herrings.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
So Israeli defenders of this action are essentially saying they should be held to the same standards as a shaky military dictatorship with a political leadership made up of religious extremists or a man butchering his own civilian population?

Yeah, not really convincing me of the rightness of this action with those red herrings.

My policy of A PLAGUE ON BOTH THEIR HOUSES seems to still be the best possible option.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Honestly, I would like to believe that Israel should fucking know better.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on September 05, 2012, 04:27:57 PM

Given their history, what on Earth would lead you to believe anything of the kind?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 04:25:51 PM

My policy of A PLAGUE ON BOTH THEIR HOUSES seems to still be the best possible option.

It certainly seems so.  I tend to be a bit more sympathetic to the Palestinians than Israelis, as a rule, because of the massive power disparity between the two, but I don't for a minute think it would be any different if the Palestinians had American military support and a state with which to oppress the Israelis.  Also the history of the Jewish people really means the Israeli state should know fucking better, but apparently that is not the case.

VERBL, to what extent do you think these refugees are being denied entry due to the upsurge in anti-African racism and violence in Israel?  I notice there have been some...disturbing incidents lately, which seem to comfirm that justifying states in ethnoreligious rather than civic terms leads to racism and ethnic conflict.

Verbal Mike

Within internal discourse, yes, this has become a standard argument you basically hear any time you criticize anything the government or army does. Okay, when it's about how the government's policies even fuck over Israeli Jews, you hear this less, but still sometimes. ("If you hate it so much here, why not go live in Syria?")
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 04:33:27 PM

Given their history, what on Earth would lead you to believe anything of the kind?

I would LIKE to, but I won't.

The whole construct of that country is bullshit.

Cain

Quote from: VERBL on September 05, 2012, 04:37:23 PM
Within internal discourse, yes, this has become a standard argument you basically hear any time you criticize anything the government or army does. Okay, when it's about how the government's policies even fuck over Israeli Jews, you hear this less, but still sometimes. ("If you hate it so much here, why not go live in Syria?")

"If you love refugees so much, why don't you go live there?" 

From where I'm sitting, things are looking a bit volatile over there.  I'm reminded of 2004 in America, which is never a good thing to be reminded of.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on September 05, 2012, 04:37:27 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 04:33:27 PM

I would LIKE to, but I won't.

The whole construct of that country is bullshit.

So is ours.  Not the point.

The point is how they act NOW.

Members of the forum should probably refrain from bringing up our current treatment of Native Americans, on account of my American Exceptionalismâ„¢, so shut up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2012, 04:39:00 PM

From where I'm sitting, things are looking a bit volatile over there.  I'm reminded of 2004 in America, which is never a good thing to be reminded of.

I maintain my response to that, and recommend it to Verbl:

"Because this is my home.  YOU get the fuck out."

Suu

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2012, 04:35:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 04:25:51 PM

It certainly seems so.  I tend to be a bit more sympathetic to the Palestinians than Israelis, as a rule, because of the massive power disparity between the two, but I don't for a minute think it would be any different if the Palestinians had American military support and a state with which to oppress the Israelis.  Also the history of the Jewish people really means the Israeli state should know fucking better, but apparently that is not the case.

That's what I meant.

Then I remember the meaningless revolts they pulled on the Romans and what happened then. Not that you should judge the entire Jewish faith on the crackheads, but the crackheads ain't helping the cause, here. Zionists = crackheads.

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2012, 04:39:00 PM

"If you hate America so much, move to Canada." ?

Verbal Mike

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2012, 04:35:08 PM
VERBL, to what extent do you think these refugees are being denied entry due to the upsurge in anti-African racism and violence in Israel?  I notice there have been some...disturbing incidents lately, which seem to comfirm that justifying states in ethnoreligious rather than civic terms leads to racism and ethnic conflict.
I think the treatment of this particular bunch of refugees is just an extension of the government racists' rhetoric.
The upsurge in racism and violence was directly encouraged by members of the coalition (particularly notorious racist MK Ben-Ari and notorious idiot MK Regev) and by Minister of Interior Yishai.
From what I've read, there appear to be two main reasons. First, this concerning the entire coalition, the more headlines are about Africans, the less lefties are busy condemning destructive socio-economic policy; instead we're talking about people who much of the public doesn't care about in the first place, as usual, as we used to do when we only talked about the Palestinians.
Second, this concerning probably only Yishai and a few other key people, the influx of Africans has been undercutting the cheap labor import industry, by which you take some absurd sum from a poor southeast Asian, bring them to Israel, and get the Ministry of Interior to let them work there...for a while. It's a turning-door system by which they're usually only legal for a year or two, then they stay illegally but their spot is filled in the next batch of legal migrant workers nonetheless. And apparently Yishai gets some important kind of support, possibly even bribes, from this industry. Starving Africans mean even cheaper labor is available, and worse yet, they get imported by Egyptian smugglers rather than Israeli "businessmen".
So obviously, something has to be done about these filthy foreigners who come, push down real-estate prices, take our jobs, rape our women, and spread diseases. Think about the families!

Verbal Mike

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 04:40:14 PM
I maintain my response to that, and recommend it to Verbl:

"Because this is my home.  YOU get the fuck out."

Yup. I try to remember to say that, but I have the disadvantage of actually living in Germany for the past five years, and in any case I tend to instead lecture them on my right to speak out against injustice and stuff like that... Frankly, it's no wonder the Israeli Left is in demise, we have a culture of being total losers in political debates.