News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

MUSIC that changed your life

Started by E.O.T., September 24, 2010, 01:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: PixADoR on September 24, 2010, 05:30:51 PM
I could have sworn I just saw a Lady Gaga reference in this topic. But no, that can't be right, I must be daydreaming about the apocalypse again. I can't see a more mainsteam version of Marilyn Manson whose target audience is 14 year old girls becoming influencial, not in long-term reality.

I'm definitely not a Lady GaGa fan but I can see that her approach is a bit more original that Manson's.  Manson was basically just doing a mashup of Alice Cooper and Trent Reznor.  GaGa certainly is taking some influences from predecessors like Madonna, but does seem to be doing it from a more artistic approach.  Again, it really isn't my bowl of wax musically but I can understand why she would appeal to Discordian-minded individuals.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Brotep

When I was a kid all my parents played through our home sound system was oldies and smooth jazz.
I didn't start to develop my own tastes until high school.

I had been in choral groups since elementary school and later started doing a cappella.
This song, more than any other, taught me that music is sacred.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 24, 2010, 05:36:01 PM
I could have sworn I just saw a Lady Gaga reference in this topic. But no, that can't be right, I must be daydreaming about the apocalypse again. I can't see a more mainsteam version of Marilyn Manson whose target audience is 14 year old girls becoming influencial, not in long-term reality.

are you familiar with Klaus Nomi? Gaga is in the same tradition - absurdists who have pierced the mainstream. Most synthpop is doublecrap, but occasionally some genuine crazy makes it past the filters.

It's a troll.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Quote from: Reeducation on September 24, 2010, 09:11:48 AM
Once again, bare with me because I can't write.

When I was about 11 years old, my dad "lost it" and he started listening The Doors all the fucking time.
Every day and every night 24/7 for months! :lulz:
It had something to do with him divorcing my mother. :sad:
Anyways while he was tripping in his psychedelic landscapes (weed, whiskey and sometimes LSD I assume) and going through some pretty heavy shit and at the same time forgetting that he had three children living with him, I started to "get it".
It might sound stupid now but back then everything made sense. Still does actually.
I still remember those "epic" conversations with my dad about life and death while Break On Through was playing in the background. To this day The Doors is something "more" than just music for me. It's like the soundtrack of my childhood.  :)

When I was about 13 or something I heard for the very first time Sepultura's Roots Bloody Roots and that was the moment when I decided that when I would grow older, I too would be screaming like that. And hey, I'm screaming like that.

After those I think that Tori Amos has done something to my mind. That witch. This happened a few years ago when my daughter was about 1 year old.
I was just "recovering" from the "becoming a father"- year when I was watching some stupid Youtube videos and I had this mission to find something different.
Before that I had been listening only grindcore (Pig Destroyer, Rotten Sound and Nasum) for a year to keep me awake. It works by the way, just use headphones.
Well after going through all kinds of bands, from Britney Spears to TI-Ti-Nalle, I found myself listening to Tori Amos Cornflake Girl and then I remembered that it was a song I had heard back on 90's and I had always thought that it was quite catchy but could not figure out who the performer was.
Now I knew, hurray! Life-long search was finally over.  :)
I was about to close the internet after listening the song, but instead I clicked a link that said :
Tori Amos - Winter (From "Live At Montreux 91/92").
Next thing that happened was something that has never happened to me before that.
I was crying because the song brought up so many memories from the past.
I was crying happily because I was now a father.
I was sober by the way so it was not just some drunk letting out some tears in the dark.
I didn't sleep at all during that night. And yeah, that song changed my life.
And I don't even like Tori Amos that much.

I'll stop now, before you're bored to death. :D

HOLY SHIT!

that's an awesome story!

AND

the whole world gives you a bravery award for even attempting to listen to Tori. willingly.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

Thanks, pop tart.  I'm curious to see how long this proxy IP lasts.

You're a complete ass, but you seem to have a real talent for finding stable proxies.

Lastly, you make an amusing cultural snob.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 24, 2010, 01:46:06 PM
I was about 12 or so.  I thought I liked music.  I owned a few albums, some classic rock, some Yes, some Police.  Then my brother plays me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjuVzZQj0U

Followed by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAlIHsXcLY&feature=related

And I knew that everything had just changed.  A few months later, I heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bX275Crxxc

And it was all over.

HA! SHIT YES!!

movie soundtracks that changed your life!

E.O.T.

Quote from: Cramulus on September 24, 2010, 03:31:31 PM
When I was a kid I only listened to the music my mom and grampa liked. Mainly the Beatles, the Dave Brubeck Quartet, & Paul Simon.

didn't really like my dad's rock - aerosmith, rolling stones, cream, etc

then one day I turned on the TV and Nirvana's Come As You Are was on. And I was hooked.

Later that year I bought my first album, In Utero. And started growing my hair and wearing flannel.
(thought I gotta admit the hair was from hanging out with my cousin who was a little bit older / cooler than me)

the only other song which sticks out in memory is the pixie's Where Is My Mind, which was the soundtrack to the very strange and emotional summer which followed senior year of high school. I think I listened to that song a million times that summer. It was the summer of my first love, bittersweet.

AWW...

thanks for sharing that, Cram. the pixies hit pretty hard when they strike!

E.O.T.

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 24, 2010, 03:59:51 PM
Almost forgot.

Groovin on a Sunday Afternoon gave me one of the best summers of my life. Driving in Florida, windows down, radio cranked, hot chick beside me.....

DAMN!

i'm there

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on September 24, 2010, 05:36:01 PM

are you familiar with Klaus Nomi? Gaga is in the same tradition - absurdists who have pierced the mainstream. Most synthpop is doublecrap, but occasionally some genuine crazy makes it past the filters.

Well, there's also this:

I like her voice, and I like her songs.  I don't see any need to analyze it.  When Bad Romance or Telephone come on the car radio, I drive a lot faster and enjoy my commute a whole lot more.  It makes me feel good.

And that's why we have music.  To enjoy, even if sometimes it makes you feel bad.

To avoid music you like because it's "mainstream" or "pop" is about as Pink as you get.  It's so fucking Pink, it's Purple.  And to sit around dissecting music until all the fun goes out of it is worse than a waste of time.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 24, 2010, 05:36:57 PM

I'm definitely not a Lady GaGa fan but I can see that her approach is a bit more original that Manson's.  Manson was basically just doing a mashup of Alice Cooper and Trent Reznor.  GaGa certainly is taking some influences from predecessors like Madonna, but does seem to be doing it from a more artistic approach.  Again, it really isn't my bowl of wax musically but I can understand why she would appeal to Discordian-minded individuals.  

RWHN-

wow, not only is music there for you, but METAL! You're(/were) into a lot of bands that eluded my radar.

I CAN'T

agree with you more about M.Manson. I was managing a record store & dj'ing  when the whole world flipped out about him, including , sadly, many people i knew. i just didn't get it, the sound was marginal/ whatever-crap fusion and the schtick he had? How was that shocking? We'd already been exposed to Dead or Alive, the cure, Culture club, Marilyn (the 80's Marilyn, remember her/him?)
shit, all those freaks were freaks. and they were actually weird

AFK

Musical taste is acquired of course, but I think it's fair to say in general that there are good and bad with any kind of music.  There is good and bad jazz, good and bad rock, good and bad hip hop, good and bad pop, etc., etc.,  

There's nothing wrong with a good pop song.  As I was driving into work I was listening to "The Way" by Fastball.  A total mainstream pop track.  But it is a fun song and it made me happy listening to it.  Brought certain fond memories from when that song first came out.  And you can almost hear them smiling as they're playing the song.  You can feel that this isn't just something they manufactured to sell records, it came from a genuine place.  

But yeah it's like Dok says, if it makes you feel good, if it makes you feel happy, who cares.  

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 24, 2010, 06:35:22 PM
Musical taste is acquired of course, but I think it's fair to say in general that there are good and bad with any kind of music.  There is good and bad jazz, good and bad rock, good and bad hip hop, good and bad pop, etc., etc.,  

There's nothing wrong with a good pop song.  As I was driving into work I was listening to "The Way" by Fastball.  A total mainstream pop track.  But it is a fun song and it made me happy listening to it.  Brought certain fond memories from when that song first came out.  And you can almost hear them smiling as they're playing the song.  You can feel that this isn't just something they manufactured to sell records, it came from a genuine place.  

But yeah it's like Dok says, if it makes you feel good, if it makes you feel happy, who cares.  

Yep.

But The Way is a horror story.  Google the lyrics.
Molon Lube

AFK

Oh I know.  Lyrically, I'm kinda surprised it became a mainstream hit.  It also may explain, partly, why they never had another. 

Thurnez Isa

Guess I should do my serious answers

Josquin des Prez
Antonio Vivaldi
Maurice Ravel
Howlin' Wolf
Lightnin' Hopkins
Tom Waits
Philip Glass
Cesaria Evora
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Prince Glittersnatch III

Beck - Odelay still stands as one of the best albums of all time to lay and stare at the ceiling to.

Ennio Morricone - Ecstasy of Gold man.

As far as music that "changed my life" I cant think of much else besides maybe "Space Oddity"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!