News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, February 07, 2010, 07:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on February 07, 2010, 07:25:43 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on February 07, 2010, 07:16:51 PM
No!  We could, ah, CHANGE IT!

YES!  We could change the fundamentals of our economy.  Which are strong as it is.  Yes.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!1

WE NEEDS MOAR PLANETZZZZ!!!!!!ⁿ√·∙·∙°≈÷⌡⌠≤≥±≡

Actually, I've thought about this, and the obvious best solution is genetic. I won't go into details here, but it involves lots of sex with pygmies.

Hey, have we discussed this before? Because a while back I was thinking that a great way to reduce our need for resources would be to engineer ourselves to be tiny. We could start with just an inch every 20 years, so there wouldn't be a huge gap between generations, until we eventually were about half the size we are now.

Current houses would be really troublesome and require a lot of remodeling, but they could also be converted to townhouses, providing twice the housing that's currently available.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

I don't think we have. It's a thought I had a few years ago. Personally, I think it will happen on its own by natural selection eventually, if we don't get extincted first.

The sooner we get started the better, though. Want to start a pygmy mailorder bride/groom business?

...or maybe a mailorder pygmy sperm/embryo bank?
Formerly something else...

AFK

I dunno, some pretty good science has come from the un-manned missions to Mars.  Hell, those two rovers they sent have far outlasted their original life span.  Meanwhile, the manned space program has managed to needlessly kill 17 or so astronauts.  It is a shame to have sunk so much money into the Constellation program and then have the plug be pulled, but what I've read sounds like it's a loss-cutting measure as there were serious questions about the vehicles being developed.  I just hope they find someway to get astronauts back to the Hubble to re-service it before it's number comes up.  That thing has brought us so much science and information about the universe, it would be a shame to lose it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 07, 2010, 07:37:48 PM
Quote from: Regret on February 07, 2010, 07:06:03 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 07, 2010, 06:20:58 PM
I kind of want people to have places to live, access to medical care, and enough to eat.
unobtainable goal.
give people that and they make more people.
more people means the goal becomes unobtainable.

i applaud your ethics but not your logic.

A. I didn't present any logic whatsoever in my post, so there isn't any to applaud or not applaud in the first place.
B. The highest population growth occurs in the poorest and least-educated countries.
C. What Cain said.
D. It's true, solving the obstacle of having a growth-based economy is beyond me.
A. i assumed there was a logic behind it, my bad. Only thing that remains: i applaud your ethics.
B. true AFAIK. and this is my prefered method of population control: Increased education.
C. I am interested in the why of what Cain said/linked. (Cool link btw.)
D. and me, sadly.  :sad:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

NotPublished

We can resort to breeding permits! "If we don't approve, your genetics end here."

Alternatively, there is de-sexing. And homosexuality is natures way of population control (See even Mother Earth is taking a part in this plight!)

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 07, 2010, 07:41:45 PM
Hey, have we discussed this before? Because a while back I was thinking that a great way to reduce our need for resources would be to engineer ourselves to be tiny. We could start with just an inch every 20 years, so there wouldn't be a huge gap between generations, until we eventually were about half the size we are now.

Current houses would be really troublesome and require a lot of remodeling, but they could also be converted to townhouses, providing twice the housing that's currently available.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Oh my god thats a hilarious idea!!
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

President Television

Quote from: NotPublished on February 07, 2010, 11:06:09 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Oh my god thats a hilarious idea!!

Imagine the time travellers. "WE HAVE COME TO SET RIGHT WHAT ONCE WENT- Hey, I'm down here. Get your crotch outta my face, spag."
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Doktor Howl

Nobody caught the really funny part of that.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

A moon colony would be impressive. But then again, I've read Moon is a Harsh Mistress so much my book split in half. Still, a new world would be nice for the first couple generations, until we fucked it up.
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Quote from: Regret on February 07, 2010, 10:01:05 PM
I am interested in the why of what Cain said/linked. (Cool link btw.)

People tend to have less kids as their economic situation improves.  The why's and wherefores of that are complicated.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 08, 2010, 03:39:17 AM
A moon colony would be impressive. But then again, I've read Moon is a Harsh Mistress so much my book split in half. Still, a new world would be nice for the first couple generations, until we fucked it up.

Heinlein made revolution fun again.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on February 08, 2010, 09:17:20 AM

People tend to have less kids as their economic situation improves.  The why's and wherefores of that are complicated.
So the economic situation is improving world wide?
Cool.
Here i was thinking the world was doing bad in most places.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Wizard

QuoteHeinlein made revolution fun again.

That he did. That he did.
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Quote from: Regret on February 08, 2010, 03:21:00 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 08, 2010, 09:17:20 AM

So the economic situation is improving world wide?
Cool.
Here i was thinking the world was doing bad in most places.

Here's an idea: stop putting words in my mouth you fuckstick, and maybe I wont follow you around the board for the next year sniping at your every statement, OK?

The Wizard

I think that was a failed attempt at humor, rather than putting words in your mouth.
Insanity we trust.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 08, 2010, 01:33:16 AM
Nobody caught the really funny part of that.

twice the housing! :lulz:

(unless you're laughing at something different)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."