Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

There Has Been An Error!

Started by ~, February 17, 2010, 04:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Dok Howl, fair enough. I was mostly asking for the sake of my own memory, anyhow :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 07:23:18 PM
Dok Howl, fair enough. I was mostly asking for the sake of my own memory, anyhow :)

S'ok.  I just wanted to take a cheap shot at Cavehamster.

Molon Lube

cavehamster

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 07:23:18 PM

Having now reviewed the pages, I didn't see anything mentioned about pebble bed reactors or fast breeder reactors.

A lot of the 'waste' that we are burying now could be re-used again and again as fuel in a breeder:  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-long-will-global-uranium-deposits-last

"Second, fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors, which generate more fuel than they consume, would use less than 1 percent of the uranium needed for current LWRs. Breeder reactors could match today's nuclear output for 30,000 years using only the NEA-estimated supplies."

The USA has huge deposits of uranium so it's a good thing build more plants here anyway.

Most of the reason we don't see more nuclear reactors is political rather than technical.  Couple that with the public perception that only uranium can give off radiation and that you are guaranteed to glow green if you get near a plant, and well...  Modern designs make sure that the failsafe in case of an incident is indeed to 'fail safe'.

I do think we'll see an uptick in the number of nuclear plants as future generations become more divorced from past really bad incidents in poorly designed facilities.

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

cavehamster

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 07:51:30 PM
Doesn't matter. You're fucked anyhow.

Yeah, well.. it happens.  At least I was honest about my post ;)

Remington

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-29/news/17840875_1_laser-beams-national-ignition-facility-deuterium-and-tritium

Some nuclear fusion researchers are taking an idea from gamers: blast something with lasers (lots of lasers) until it explodes (or is heated up to 6 million degrees F).
Is it plugged in?

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 18, 2010, 02:13:17 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on February 18, 2010, 01:14:02 AMJUST FOR your uptight panty concerns. Yes I would. I don't consider this such a serious "argument" that i can't be light-hearted.

What is "uptight" about being annoyed over someone taking the piss on a country for no apparent reason at all?

In that manner, what is "light-hearted" about taking the piss on a country for no reason at all?

Quotethe trail of epic disaster follows nuclear power everywhere it goes, I think it's insane to continue fucking with it.

Everywhere?!?! :lulz:

Please stop driving your car, don't you see the PILES OF EPIC DISASTER they leave EVERYWHERE??

Do stay away from tall buildings or airplanes, just to be sure.

Cars do, in fact, leave piles of epic disaster everywhere.  Way worse ones than Nuclear plants. 
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

Well, that proves nothing.

Only that cars aren't the solution to the world energy problem.

So there.

Doktor Howl

If someone can process my poop into power, I will light up the globe.

The pollution will be pretty bad, but at least the lights will be on.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Triple Zero