News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Um, Sweden?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 23, 2013, 04:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What is going ON over there?

http://www.thelocal.se/20131221/swedens-christmas-goat-torched-yet-again

QuoteSweden's Christmas goat torched yet again

Gävle's Yuletide goat has failed to survive until Christmas after it was set on fire during the early hours of Saturday morning in what has become an infamous annual event.

The massive straw goat, which this year had been beefed up with flame retardant liquid, has long been a target for arsonists since the first one was erected in the central Swedish city in 1966.

Police authorities were alerted at 4am that the 13-metre tall Gävle goat (Gävlebocken) was on fire and emergency services were quickly on the scene.

"We are out looking with patrols and as usual keeping an open mind on this matter," Fredrik Nilsson of the Gävle police told Aftonbladet.

He added to the TT news agency; "I have a hard time believing that it may have started because of natural causes."

In November officials in Gävle were confident the 2013 vintage would stand a chance of surviving through the holiday season telling The Local that it "should be much harder to burn down."

However, such optimism proved unfounded with the latest arson attack leaving members of the local goat committee dismayed.
"We are really sorry. We are supposed to celebrate Christmas and New Year with the goat in place. We are very sorry that it can't be just left be," said Maria Nässert, spokesperson for the goat committee in Gävle to TT.

The goat has made headlines in the past after Swedes tried to kidnap the structure by helicopter and after some youths got suspicious goat tattoos shortly after it burned down last year. Once, an American tourist was convicted of arson after he burned it to the ground, thinking it was a harmless tradition and not realizing such an act was indeed against the law.

Indeed, the goat has been burned to the ground more often than it has been left standing. It was first torched in 1969 while the class of 1977 only got to bleat for six hours.

The goat, which has its own Twitter account, posted a message on Friday saying it felt "confident" and was "longing for Christmas.

After it was set ablaze the goat took to the social media network to express its sorrow but did keep the Yuletide spirit alive by wishing its thousands of followers a happy Christmas.

"I'm so sad my friends that I have to leave you now! Thank you for this year! Take care and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!" posted the Gävlebocken. 

Local media reported that the goat has been set ablaze at least 24 times since the first one was put on display back in 1966.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

. . . what the ever-loving . . . what? I don't. What? No.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Eater of Clowns

QuoteIn November officials in Gävle were confident the 2013 vintage would stand a chance of surviving through the holiday season telling The Local that it "should be much harder to burn down."

There's your problem. There's your problem right there.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 23, 2013, 05:50:21 AM
QuoteIn November officials in Gävle were confident the 2013 vintage would stand a chance of surviving through the holiday season telling The Local that it "should be much harder to burn down."

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Odibex Grallspice

How many times in this article did they said "the goat" The goat, the Goat, THE GOAT!

The Good Reverend Roger

Which part of Belgium is Sweden again?  Is it the landlocked one, or the one with the hairy fucking viking assholes?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 23, 2013, 05:50:21 AM

Fill the fucking thing full of RDX.  That will teach the arsonist little bastards.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 23, 2013, 07:10:54 AM
Which part of Belgium is Sweden again?  Is it the landlocked one, or the one with the hairy fucking viking assholes?

I think it's North Belgium.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on December 23, 2013, 07:10:41 AM
How many times in this article did they said "the goat" The goat, the Goat, THE GOAT!

THE GOAT.

Also at one point they referred to "the 2013 vintage". Of the goat.

Lenin McCarthy

I'm not surprised. It's Sweden, after all.

but "goat committee"  :lulz:
and "tried to kidnap the structure by helicopter"  :lulz:

hooplala

See, this seems like the perfect time for bipeds to reassess the situation. Clearly, the people WANT an annual goat burning festival. Boom. Done.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 23, 2013, 12:42:48 PM
See, this seems like the perfect time for bipeds to reassess the situation. Clearly, the people WANT an annual goat burning festival. Boom. Done.

BINGO!

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on December 23, 2013, 12:15:11 PM
I'm not surprised. It's Sweden, after all.

but "goat committee"  :lulz:
and "tried to kidnap the structure by helicopter"  :lulz:

Goat Committee, now THAT'S black metal !
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 23, 2013, 06:30:39 PM

BINGO!

They're missing out on serious tourism dollars by not embracing it. They already have this story, they could probably get a big follow up if they made it official, and then people start rolling into their town from all over to see the event.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 23, 2013, 08:29:32 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 23, 2013, 06:30:39 PM

BINGO!

They're missing out on serious tourism dollars by not embracing it. They already have this story, they could probably get a big follow up if they made it official, and then people start rolling into their town from all over to see the event.

It's true, I haven't missed a burning wicker man in Summerisle in years, and they have fuck all else there... except apples.  And fertility rites.  Well, actually I come for the rites, but the burning is good too.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman