News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

In those days Pt. 6: The Naturalist's Focus.

Started by Kai, March 21, 2010, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

The godlike Wilson wrote of his sorcery a guide to seeing the invisible hidden or simply unnoticed a practice so simple yet people never notice do they...This is the method that was passed down from the Shaman, along with the power of Naming this great power maybe even more important, it makes the invisible visible, turns the quiet alive with sound, makes the hidden obvious. The power increases with use. It has been called Law of Fives Cognitive Bias The Hunter's Mind The Thinker and The Prover, it is all of those things, the Great Power of Revealing.

The execution is simple. There are no tricks, indeed, this is a removal of tricks. The mind does not see what it doesn't think is there, so you must make it think that there is something present, the thing you are about to see.

Pick a spot of grass in a yard, a meter square of soil and plant and air. Gaze at the ground, stare intently, and will creatures to come into being. Tiny beetles, ants, springtails, aphids, WILL them into existence, imagine their presence, see them in the mind as clear in search image and unhidden as if they were 30 feet tall and 300 pounds and suddenly they appear, running, clinging, waggling antennae, alive and visible.

The mind plays tricks, they were always there, or were they? The Naturalist's, in their great wisdom, created the world of the small with their gifts, then guided others to the same visionary dream, they Named the kinds, they took the youthful peyote and now they inhabit a world much bigger than our own, a grand cosmic scale.

Now, don't tell me you wouldn't like to try it too.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Reginald Ret

I think it's great.
Maybe even the best one yet.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Storebrand

Give people time to mull over it, or even get to it.  It was posted on a Sunday.

Kai

Quote from: StoreBrand on March 22, 2010, 10:13:46 PM
Give people time to mull over it, or even get to it.  It was posted on a Sunday.

True. I'll remember that.

Dr. Paes

Amazing.

Copyright status?
Can I print these "In those days" pieces to share with others?

Jasper

I didn't check the forums this weekend, which was clearly a mistake.  This series is the best Naturalistic thought Discordians have written to date, in my opinion.   I just really appreciate that someone's actually writing about the intermingling of natural wonder and philosophy that I think about a lot, but rarely write down or talk about.

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Kai on March 22, 2010, 11:10:47 AM
Wondering why this one fell flat.

I usually read and never comment.  My guess is there are a lot of lurkers that do the same.  Just to say, I've been appreciating this series - just quietly, from over there in the back of the room.

Like what you're doing a lot.  Undisciplining disciplines, maybe?

(!moar 300 lb aphids!)
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Storebrand

See.  :)  Stop looking for external validation.  You don't need it.  You know you're good.   :wink:

Kai

Quote from: Sidónio Pães on March 23, 2010, 05:24:22 AM
Amazing.

Copyright status?
Can I print these "In those days" pieces to share with others?

Copyright, but free to redistribute with attribution.

Quote from: Nurse Rhizome on March 23, 2010, 06:05:23 AM

I usually read and never comment.  My guess is there are a lot of lurkers that do the same.  Just to say, I've been appreciating this series - just quietly, from over there in the back of the room.

Like what you're doing a lot.  Undisciplining disciplines, maybe?

(!moar 300 lb aphids!)

EO Wilson called it consilience. Cf. his book by that name.

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 23, 2010, 05:46:31 AM
I didn't check the forums this weekend, which was clearly a mistake.  This series is the best Naturalistic thought Discordians have written to date, in my opinion.   I just really appreciate that someone's actually writing about the intermingling of natural wonder and philosophy that I think about a lot, but rarely write down or talk about.

Write it down. Talk about it. I don't hold a monopoly on religious naturalism or consilience.

Plus, I like reading about the universe from other people's perspectives.

Quote from: StoreBrand on March 23, 2010, 06:35:23 AM
See.  :)  Stop looking for external validation.  You don't need it.  You know you're good.   :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao Every one needs it. Especially paranoids.

Jasper

After I'm done with job hunting today, I'm going to dig up carl sagan, huff the fumes from his boiling pre-frontal cortex, then WRITE.