News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Binging on Johnathan Hickman this weekend.

I'm amazed at how he has actually turned the fantastic four into a cool series about futurism. First time Marvel has had good sci-fi in I don't know how long.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

E.O.T.

YEAH FAUST

i have to say i really am digging that new wonder Woman. It's avoiding the usual super hero format for the story and setting, i like it a lot, thanks for the recommendation. When i initially saw the previews ads i thought the art (mostly based on the first issue cover) looked kinda stupid. but the actual content is great, again, outside the usual. Instead of super computer finished, it is more scratchy and somewhat cartoonish, more comic like and i think that's especially cool.

HICKMAN

is damm amazing. what he's pulling off with f4 & ff is really the wildest soap opera stuff plus science, and making it all interesting at the same time.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

E.O.T.

SO...

the 'before the watchmen' stuff starts coming out this week, anyone planning to jump into any of that?
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Faust

Quote from: E.O.T. on June 04, 2012, 11:26:28 PM

SO...

the 'before the watchmen' stuff starts coming out this week, anyone planning to jump into any of that?

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma, I do not want to support DC on this project, but the art looks very good even if therest will be rubbish.
Even pirating it feels hypocritical to me because I'd still be absorbing the content of a project I object to.
I  guess I'll find out on wednesday if my resolve can hold true when it appears on the pirate sites.

Faust

The last couple of months have been busy, I've read very little in that time.

I managed to plough through The Walking Dead over the course of a couple of weekends, and I can see what all the fuss is about. Kirkman uses simple language for his characters but the emotional depth to the series repeatedly takes you by surprise.

I'm quite tired of zombies as a genre (if you can even legitimately call them that), but their role as a background all pervasive wall of dread that
randomly has peoples loved ones just vanish from their lives works.

Ultimately it is all about the survivors and how they all cope with the ongoing nightmare, what's interesting is that most zombie movies or comics have a character or two that loses there humanity but its very rare that the entire group ends up that way.

It's jarring when they meet other groups that haven't become as desensitised as they have and how they are all more compassionate and trusting.

It's an unfinished series (I think I got to volume 16), so I will probably follow up when it finishes.

Otherwise the only other thing I have is my repeating recommendation to read Wonder Woman. The second arc is out, it's still not a story end so for those who would prefer to read it as a complete thing hold off a while longer.

Faust

Reading Pax Romana at the moment. I like the concept, which is an interesting time travel alternate history story but I find the execution a little bit snoozie.

Prince Glittersnatch III

I finally got over my fear of New52 and picked up the first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Its contrived the way they seem to be handling the new Batbooks, instead of just restarting it looks like they picked up just before where they left off and just have really streamlined backstories told in exposition. Not exactly starting over, but certainly more accessible.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Internet Jesus

It seems a bit odd to be pimping it now that it's over, but if I can throw my recommendation in for a series, I'd say pick up Scalped.

It's some of the best goddamned Noir to be written in recent memory.
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:37:06 AM
It seems a bit odd to be pimping it now that it's over, but if I can throw my recommendation in for a series, I'd say pick up Scalped.

Then there's the Coward series.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Faust on May 24, 2012, 09:10:17 AM
A series called Irredeemable ended last night, Its written by Mark Waid who has done great work with Kingdom Come and Daredevil, and for me personally this is his masterpiece.

There are a lot of Superman knock offs out there, some have more substance than others, some are just superman with a twist, Hyperion is just a gritty version and Apollo is just a gay superman, but this is a far more complex look at the character.

It's a "what if superman went bad?" story that actually has a complex and layered reasoning for his breakdown. Even his name Plutonian indicating alien has the double meaning of disconnected and remote.

You can read the first few pages here, which introduces Plutonian through his murder of the Batman character and his family.
http://www.boom-studios.com/irredeemable-1-cover-a.html

You're goddamned right.  Althought I would leave out the part in the middle where the story kind of lost it focus.

It's companion book. Incorruptable. Is absolute balls though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 21, 2012, 08:13:25 PM
Reading Pax Romana at the moment. I like the concept, which is an interesting time travel alternate history story but I find the execution a little bit snoozie.

Hickman's 2nd worst work.

Try The Nightly News, if you want Hickman at his finest.  It's like waking up in a chair with a bag on your head, and you can smell lighter fluid and gun oil.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:39:25 AM

Que?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:40:52 AM

Que?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_%28comics%29

Internet Jesus

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:42:06 AM

Que?

Oh, I'll have to check that out. Wonder if I can get the trade at my local CBS?

Meanwptime, you especially need to check out Scalped.  It's not in the same vein as anything Ellis has put out, but it is one hell of a look into some dark places.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 22, 2012, 04:45:09 AM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 04:42:06 AM

Que?

Oh, I'll have to check that out. Wonder if I can get the trade at my local CBS?

Meanwptime, you especially need to check out Scalped.  It's not in the same vein as anything Ellis has put out, but it is one hell of a look into some dark places.

I'll look it up.

I now have everything Ellis wrote (aside from the Marvel shit, which I despise), except Lazarus Churchyard.

You'd get a bang out of Silent City.  It has an honest-to-God Hunter S Thompson bit in it, written by Thompson for a cameo thing, and probably marks the beginning of Ellis' fixation with Thompson.