News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

The Pathetic Life Of Oxo Marx

Started by hooplala, November 21, 2005, 09:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

Don't tell nostalgicBastard...  he'll get the literary police to string me up.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne

FIVE!

FIVE MOTHERFUCKIN SEMICOLONS!

You fail at writing, and obviously despise your readers and yourself.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: Payne on July 09, 2008, 03:42:08 AM
FIVE!

FIVE MOTHERFUCKIN MOTHERFUCKIN' SEMICOLONS!

Payne

hooplala

Quote from: Payne on July 09, 2008, 03:42:08 AM
FIVE!

FIVE MOTHERFUCKIN SEMICOLONS!

Obviously!

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Honey

Hi Hooopla,

I really liked your story.  I like the way you use words.  The voice is playful, strangely subtle & flexible.  You want to laugh with this guy yet you wanna shake him up a bit too.  I like the other characters too, barely introduced & yet you wanna know more about them somehow?

I read your story, then read it again.  Then I started thinking about the relationship between memory, time, the mind & the senses.  & the theory of cognitive dissonance too.  It also made me think of 1 of my favorite novels.  A certain passage.  Being somewhat obsessive & idiosyncratic in my ways I just had to find that particular quote.  I started rummaging though my books & found it.  This is it.  Oh & before you read it, I just want to let you know it does have a semicolon in it.    

QuoteBy slowing the course of their night, by dividing it into different stages, each separate from the next, Madame de T. has succeeded in giving the small span of time accorded them the semblance of a marvelous little architecture, of a form.  Imposing form on a period of time is what beauty demands, but so does memory.  For what is formless cannot be grasped, or committed to memory.  Conceiving their encounter as a form was especially precious for them, since their night was to have no tomorrow and could only be repeated through recollection.

There is a secret bond between slowness & memory, between speed & forgetting.  Consider this utterly commonplace situation: a man is walking down the street.  At a certain moment, he tries to recall something, but the recollection escapes him.  Automatically, he slows down.  Meanwhile, a person who wants to forget a disagreeable  incident he has just lived through starts unconsciously to speed up his pace, as if he were trying to distance himself from a thing too close to him in time.

In existential mathematics, that experience takes the form of two basic equations: the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting.

Milan Kundera, Slowness

The different senses are each somehow related to memory.  Of course I don't really understand how it all works but it's 1 of those concepts you can easily play around with if you like to do that sort of thing.  I sometimes wonder if perception is a sense in the same way tasting, touching, seeing, smelling & hearing are senses?

I'm really interested in the way the mind works.  The mastermind or groupmind process is an interesting concept to me.  I do think it is often misused.  Gathering together, sharing ideas, using the process to learn more.  It's a balancing act.  When you gather a group who all think the same ('yes' men or some such) the results are disappointing (like the people Bush surrounded himself with during his terms).  I think it was Lincoln who gave cabinet jobs to the 3 or 4 people who ran against him? 

Anyway, I really did enjoy reading your story.  I liked everything about it except the part about the white toast.  Thanks.  Respect.   :)

Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Thanks Nigel, and thanks Honey as well... I'm very happy that the story made you remember that quote, because it is an amazing concept I had never really considered before, but its true... I do tend to slow down when trying to think of something from the past.

Incidentally, that story really did happen to me when I was fifteen.  BWAAAAAAAAAA

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Also, Honey, sorry the 'white toast' didn't do it for you.  It's one of my favorite non sequiturs I've written, but maybe its just me.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Honey

Sorry, I meant to edit that out, just a personal thing with me, not important - a story goes with.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

hooplala

Naw, don't worry.  I didn't take it personally.

If I can put up something like that dreadful "poem" I stomped out last week and post it in a shark's tank like PD.com I can take ANY criticism.  Don't worry.

It was meant to be a stupid and pointless way to finish the story.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Honey

ok, so now I'm curious, just where is? this dreadful poem of yours?  If you show me where it is (couldn't find it?  still nubile here)  I'll show you a silly poem I wrote about 2 or 3 weeks ago while sitting in my car, listening to Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal, & waiting for my son & his friends to return.  Well, maybe I will.  I have to find it first, & as I remember it was something about war & the letter W?   

& I liked the "white toast" as non sequitor.  I'm a non sequitor person myself I think?  It's just that I was thinking about memory & time & all the other things after reading your story & the white toast thing brought back a very odd childhood memory that I didn't really want to re-visit.  That's why I really did mean to edit that out 'cuz no one but me (& just maybe my brother or sister) would understand.
Fuck the status quo!

-Bertrand Russell

hooplala

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=17019.0

I shouldn't have called it a poem.  Its not a poem.  I can do better than that.

If you want to read some of my poetry, go here: http://baronvonhoopla.blogspot.com/search/label/poem

The first couple aren't mine, but once you get to "A Plea To Ruth Underwood" its mine, and so are the rest.  I think.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Bump.

Not for my story, but for Enrico's eulogies.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman