News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

My computer trip

Started by Slarti, August 02, 2004, 01:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

My computer trip
------------------------

i'm on a bad computer trip. the only thing i really do besides sitting on my comp all day is read occasionally, and i don't even do that as much as i should. i want a non-computer hobby, but i can't think of anything i'd want to do. i think it would be cool to write or draw but i don't have talent in either. i've complained about this before and bella has posted links of some good books on learning to draw, i should get one. i was originally just going to ask you guys what i should do to escape the computer trap i'm in, but i reallize all i have to do is find something else to do. why the fuck is it that hard to do? probably because i've grown a dependency on it, after having it be my main (usually ONLY) source of recreation for at least 4 years now. i have a almost negligible (that's definitely misspelled) social life, and i really don't do much outside of sitting on my ass all day wasting away at the comp. maybe i'm just crazy.

Wishfarple

Some things I like to do aside from the computer (not that I've had the inclination lately, but still):

Martial arts - combines exercise with some socialization, but a strong emphasis on individual achievement.  Plus it's fun to hit people.
    Shooting - pistols, rifles, bows, whatever.  Guns make loud noises, which is always a laugh, but bows let you pretend you're some kind of elf prancing around the forest and shit.
    Music - Usually singing and playing my guitar, but in the past I've played bass in lousy bands, euphonium in marching band, and trumpet in grade school.  It's all good for escapism, and for the pleasure one gets from knowing one is doing something "artistic".  
    Walking - Seriously!  I love taking long walks.  I don't know what it is, but a good walk of at least a half-hour is wonderful for rejuvenation and clearing of the mind.  
    [/list:u]

YMMV.
    His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
    Temple of Cleveland

Slarti

Quote from: Llama Wishfart RinpocheSome things I like to do aside from the computer (not that I've had the inclination lately, but still):

Martial arts - combines exercise with some socialization, but a strong emphasis on individual achievement.  Plus it's fun to hit people.
      Shooting - pistols, rifles, bows, whatever.  Guns make loud noises, which is always a laugh, but bows let you pretend you're some kind of elf prancing around the forest and shit.
      Music - Usually singing and playing my guitar, but in the past I've played bass in lousy bands, euphonium in marching band, and trumpet in grade school.  It's all good for escapism, and for the pleasure one gets from knowing one is doing something "artistic".  
      Walking - Seriously!  I love taking long walks.  I don't know what it is, but a good walk of at least a half-hour is wonderful for rejuvenation and clearing of the mind.  

YMMV.

hmm yeah i should start walking again. i was considering taking up the Navaho Flute. my dad plays it occasionally, it sounds pretty cool. i don't think i'd like doing the guitar thing, plus they're expensive. karate was something else i was thinking of, but i was afraid that it was too late for me to start (16) or does age not really matter? well anyway, thanks for
      the suggestions.

edit: forgot to ask, what's YMMV stand for?

Kapzam

Quote from: SlartibartfastMy computer trip
      ------------------------

i'm on a bad computer trip. the only thing i really do besides sitting on my comp all day is read occasionally, and i don't even do that as much as i should. i want a non-computer hobby, but i can't think of anything i'd want to do. i think it would be cool to write or draw but i don't have talent in either. i've complained about this before and bella has posted links of some good books on learning to draw, i should get one. i was originally just going to ask you guys what i should do to escape the computer trap i'm in, but i reallize all i have to do is find something else to do. why the fuck is it that hard to do? probably because i've grown a dependency on it, after having it be my main (usually ONLY) source of recreation for at least 4 years now. i have a almost negligible (that's definitely misspelled) social life, and i really don't do much outside of sitting on my ass all day wasting away at the comp. maybe i'm just crazy.

http://www.slylockfox.com/how_draw.html free drawing thingy :D Now you can learn how to draw a baby :D

If you got no talent, get talent, all you really need for drawing is mainly controll over the pencil, and maybe something to draw, and a pencil, or something else to draw it, and something to draw on...

Why do you need talent for these things anyway? :) sure it might get boring if you don't have it but untill you get talent, just use your 1337 will and convince yourself that: "0mFg! d1s i5 fuN!!111".

Who knows, it might work, if you do these things you wil atleast get away from the computer for awhile :)

And to stop your magical addicting computer journey.

Use your 1337 will again
        Maybe tell someone else to use your computer
        Walk, outside, alot
        Meditate and stuff like that
        Sleep
        Try to stop care to much about not using the computer and using the computer
        If you really can't stop, smash it with a hammer.[/list:u]
      I will eat you!

Slarti

Quote from: Kapzam
      http://www.slylockfox.com/how_draw.html free drawing thingy :D Now you can learn how to draw a baby :D

If you got no talent, get talent, all you really need for drawing is mainly controll over the pencil, and maybe something to draw, and a pencil, or something else to draw it, and something to draw on...

Why do you need talent for these things anyway? :) sure it might get boring if you don't have it but untill you get talent, just use your 1337 will and convince yourself that: "0mFg! d1s i5 fuN!!111".

Who knows, it might work, if you do these things you wil atleast get away from the computer for awhile :)

And to stop your magical addicting computer journey.

Use your 1337 will again
        Maybe tell someone else to use your computer
        Walk, outside, alot
        Meditate and stuff like that
        Sleep
        Try to stop care to much about not using the computer and using the computer
        If you really can't stop, smash it with a hammer.[/list:u]
      oh sweet! i can draw monsters now! yeah i guess you're right.. who needs talent anyway?? a lot of talent probably comes from experience. i've never really done the meditating thing, i should start. i also want to get into meta-programming and do some form of magic (probably Chaos because it looks like the most fun). i need to work at it though. thanks.

Xoder

Quote from: Slartibartfast
      Quote from: Llama Wishfart RinpocheSome things I like to do aside from the computer (not that I've had the inclination lately, but still):

YMMV.

hmm yeah i should start walking again. i was considering taking up the Navaho Flute. my dad plays it occasionally, it sounds pretty cool. i don't think i'd like doing the guitar thing, plus they're expensive. karate was something else i was thinking of, but i was afraid that it was too late for me to start (16) or does age not really matter? well anyway, thanks for
        the suggestions.

YMMV == Your Milage May Vary

It's never too late to take up a Martial Art. I know this guy that I do Tae Kwon Do with, he started at 48, he's now a Second Degree (and is older, of course!).

Yay for Walking as well!
        There would have been a sig here. If you loved your goddess enough!

Set your registers, initialize your program counter, and EXECUTE!

Horab Fibslager

you could always try social alcoholism at your local public house. ;)
        Hell is other people.

Slarti

Quote from: Secret Chief Horabyou could always try social alcoholism at your local public house. ;)

too bad i'm only 16 ;) . maybe i'll try that in 5 years! or not.

Quote from: Xoder

It's never too late to take up a Martial Art. I know this guy that I do Tae Kwon Do with, he started at 48, he's now a Second Degree (and is older, of course!).

Yay for Walking as well!

oh okay good. i'll look into martial arts schools then.

Wishfarple

I actually started my first martial art at 15 (Tae Kwon Do).  I'd go so far as to say that there is no upper-limit agewise, but there is most definitely a lower one.  I'd have serious moral problems with teaching a grade-school child how to hurt people.
        His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
        Temple of Cleveland

Bella

Those a great ideas.
        Walking is highly underrated and you'd be surprised how many interesting people you can meet at the gym.

You could lift weights at home, too, or do yoga and meditation.

Growing plants is fun and it puts you in touch with the natural world.
        Swimming is fun and so is photgraphy.

I knew a guy once who took photos of wildflowers......it got him a lot of dates because women assumed he was 'sensitive'. Which he wasn't, btw.

And, you could always go to a cyber cafe or the library and be online, while still interacting with other people.

Kapzam's right about art.....who says you have to be good at it to enjoy it?

Almost forgot. My ex brother-in-law once spent a year in experimenting with various pizza crust recipes in his quest for the perfect pizza. He's a computer geek by trade and he says cooking and fishing are the best ways he knows to overcome an addiction to the computer.

Slarti

Quote from: BellaThose a great ideas.
        Walking is highly underrated and you'd be surprised how many interesting people you can meet at the gym.

You could lift weights at home, too, or do yoga and meditation.

Growing plants is fun and it puts you in touch with the natural world.
        Swimming is fun and so is photgraphy.

I knew a guy once who took photos of wildflowers......it got him a lot of dates because women assumed he was 'sensitive'. Which he wasn't, btw.

And, you could always go to a cyber cafe or the library and be online, while still interacting with other people.

Kapzam's right about art.....who says you have to be good at it to enjoy it?

Almost forgot. My ex brother-in-law once spent a year in experimenting with various pizza crust recipes in his quest for the perfect pizza. He's a computer geek by trade and he says cooking and fishing are the best ways he knows to overcome an addiction to the computer.

cooking! i can make a really good Strawberry Jam Kuchen!! did your brother in law find the perfect pizza? lots of great suggestions in there too bella. between you, llama, xoder, and kapzam, i have some pretty good ideas of stuff to try out.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: Xoder
        Quote from: Slartibartfast

YMMV.

the suggestions.

Yay for Walking as well!

You do mean Second Dan, right?  So he's just learned enough to be deadly and he's maybe not stupid enough to screw up?

bob-o

MAILLE!! TAKE UP MAILLE!! :twisted:  

www.theringlord.com
          www.mailleartisans.org

:D  :D

~bob-o
          "the use of fasteners is to be next to godliness" - R.H.Howes

Malaul

you should talk to sacredchao
          Coito ergo sum
          O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
          "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

sakredchao

we talk lots, miss.
          he's going to come to my land eventually and make a cannon and we're going to blow stuff up. BOOM BABY!

so, definitely maille.  and maybe cannonmaking too.

although i'd put www.mailleartisans.org first.  because it's the best.

you could also try hiking in the forest unless you live in some lame place with no woods.  in which case you could make your parents move to somewhere cool.

you could also write and print propaganda and distribute it under windshield wipers.

you could also try taking over the world.

kim
          consistancy is the blah blah-blin of blah blah blah