News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Dead thread - posted in error

Started by Bogus Magus, June 05, 2007, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 05, 2007, 02:49:58 PM
Darth Cupcake, you aren't a nOOb (unless you define yerself that way) yer a Scat Granny, whatever that is. I'm just speaking up for the little people every where, but I keep forgetting to add smileys...

Actually, I am a n00b. I just happen to have passed 150 posts, which switches my title to Scat Granny. But I've only been posting here since mid-May. I just have a really boring office job, so I post A LOT. Some might say too much. :p

The point is, n00bhood isn't about post number. As you'll note, Lysergic, SillyCybin, etc, all know that I'm still new around here, regardless of how many posts I have.

If we are judging who are the "little people" based on something as ridiculous as post numbers, well, we might as well just start putting penis size in signatures so we'll know who to respect.

Oh, and sweet baby jesus on a pogostick, just post new posts instead of obsessing about 23. First off, it's pointless. Second off, if you choose to respond to things that we say, we will rarely, if ever, see. That is not a good way to have a dialogue, which you claim to want to have. You want to be taken seriously and treated with respect? Then treat the rest of the forum members with enough respect to not make us go mining for your responses to what we have to say. Unless I get REALLY bored at work today, I know I won't go digging for them, and other people probably won't either. And voila, dialogue = dead. OOPS.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Lies

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on June 05, 2007, 03:46:18 PM
start putting penis size in signatures so we'll know who to respect.

THIS is a great idea.
* Lysergic goes to find a meter long ruler and boobs.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Fuzzymike

Quote from: LMNO on June 05, 2007, 01:58:50 PM
Oh, I get it...  

Because he claims he's older than most people on the board, we should give more weight to the things he says, rather than judge it soley on it's merits.

Yeah my mother-in-law has the same problem. "I haven't managed to die or get killed in 50+ years so everything I have to say is important and should not be questioned."  Fuck that shit, respect is earned not handed out like halloween candy.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger... except polio.

Suu

Quote from: Fuzzymike on June 05, 2007, 04:31:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 05, 2007, 01:58:50 PM
Oh, I get it...  

Because he claims he's older than most people on the board, we should give more weight to the things he says, rather than judge it soley on it's merits.

Yeah my mother-in-law has the same problem. "I haven't managed to die or get killed in 50+ years so everything I have to say is important and should not be questioned."  Fuck that shit, respect is earned not handed out like halloween candy.

You obviously have never been to my house on Halloween.  :evil: Ya'll gotta EARN that loot.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

All it takes is a little of the ol' Pork Shoulder, if you know what I mean...

Bogus Magus

Blimey - you people all seem so very literal.

I don't obsess about the word nOOb, but I like welcoming new people myself...I always give people the benefit at the start.

I don't obsess over the number 23, and find it hilarious that people do (so I mock it by simulating it).

I couldn't give a damn if my posts disappear into a midden heap of old posts (this happens to all forums that don't use sticky threads, as I understand it, which is not a lot) - on the other hand, if people search forums (as I do) for keywords - then the spacetime distribution becomes irrelevant.

Anyway - Cat & Pigeons springs to mind...delighted to have fulfilled the mission Eris sent me on (it's a joke, it's an out-of-date, been there, done it, unfunny joke, OK). [use smileys, you idiot! They've heard it all before...]

I still think a place where new people can play with the forum and work out how things work seems like a good idea. Maybe you have a sandpit and I haven't found it yet.

All I could see was a post saying "we know all that, what else can you show me?"

I mean, if you don't want new people, refuse their registration. Seems simple enough to me. Apart from studying at MLA I run a Circus Arts Forum, and as moderator of the Message Board can chuck out idiots, assholes, spam and boring folk.  Haven't had to do anything except spam, yet (and I hope we closed that security leak now) but, come on folks.   Lighten up!

I don't need new friends, either. Just dropped in to say hello, but if that's like having yer parents at a party, I'm outa here. Don't like to spoil yer fun.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

LMNO

You don't obsess about "noob"?

You created an entire thread about the word.

[edit]
Whetever.  I'm patient. 

Bogus Magus

Quote from: LMNO on June 05, 2007, 04:44:17 PM

Ah - creating a thread is obsessing, sorry. Just a new word to me, is all.  Do I get the option to delete my thread?

I just wanted to invite anyone as new as me around here to come and chat. They didn't. I'm sorry. Now I seem to have upset you all, or provoked a reaction much bigger than I intended.

And as for ageist shit, well, 'nuff said.  I don't seek respect.  I just came to chat.

Came to the wrong place.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on June 05, 2007, 04:33:38 PM
All it takes is a little of the ol' Pork Shoulder, if you know what I mean...

On a bed of rice.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 05, 2007, 04:49:14 PM

Ah - creating a thread is obsessing, sorry. Just a new word to me, is all.  Do I get the option to delete my thread?

I just wanted to invite anyone as new as me around here to come and chat. They didn't. I'm sorry. Now I seem to have upset you all, or provoked a reaction much bigger than I intended.

You should know as well as anyone, that when lacking historical knowledge of a character, their actions take on a more significant meaning.

Also, when asked questions (a great way of figuring out who a person is), you failed to provide answers that gave insight.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 05, 2007, 02:24:48 PM
Hey can,Äôt you read?  It says ,ÄúNOOBS ONLY,Äù on the door. I wanted this thread to be a place where fellow nOObs could feel safe to speak up with their first 50 posts (ah that's the secret number).

I buck authority too, so I'll feel free to post here.

Anyhoo...
n00b
FNG (fuckin' new guy)
boot
freshman

Throughout time new people have always been given cute little nicknames.
Don't like it? Cry me a fucking river... :cry:

New people shouldn't waste time chatting in here, they should be on the rest of the board looking at the good shit.
This space for rent.

LMNO

Oh, incidentally:

What did you want to chat about, Bogus?

Bogus Magus

Quote from: LMNO on June 05, 2007, 04:56:37 PM
Oh, incidentally:

What did you want to chat about, Bogus?
Oh, don't start me off.  I'll go read some stuff and come back when I have a better flavour for the place, maybe. You probably answered all my questions somewhere here, and I just got lazy and started talking. I don't really do 'chat' by phones, text or IM.

I just like pushing all the buttons to see what happens. Poke the snake.  You know.

Let me be an example to any timid lurkers out there.  :roll:

Cramulus

Bogus Magus,

don't take this shit too personally. The real difference IMO between a n00b and not-a-n00b is that we not-n00bs kind of know each other at this point. Many of us spend hours a day hanging out here and have gotten to know each others internet persona's pretty well. We're like friends.

It takes a long time to get to know someone over a text medium. So to me, n00b means someone I don't know that well yet. Or someone that hasn't gotten the hang of the social norms of this place. A higher post count doesn't help me get to know you any better, so it won't help anyone "fit in".

I also think that the word "we" is often misused around here. Like when LMNO said "we don't like RAW", it's the kind of thing that reifies the "us" vs "you" illusion. I for one, like it RAW. Oh baby I like it RAW.

We're harsh on newbs around here, true. But that's because this url attracts a certain type of Discordian that doesn't really click here. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. It's not a hazing period, it's separating the wheat from the chaff.

Around here one needs to defend and refine their ideas constantly - that's how okay ideas become great ideas. That's how the Black Iron Prison project evolved. In a way, that's our brand of being really real Discordians.

So all that being said, can you see why posting a thread which encourages newbs to bump their post count was met with hostility?

Honestly Magus, you seem to be an intelligent and well spoken individual. I think you would fit in well here - we need new blood and new perspectives otherwise we're all just masturbating each other. But I advise you not to approach the board with an attitude of changing it. It is what it is. The newbs do not need a savior. They need spartan conditions. and this is spartaaa. *cough*

So take a breather. don't quit just 'cause some people are jerks to yuo. They're doing what needs to be done. This isn't a forum where people feel they have to be nice and polite to everyone, and in that it's one of the internet's few safe havens of truly free speech.

Professor Cramulus
"impotentia in absentia"

PS - if you post a pic of yourself I will give you a moustache ride

Lies

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 05, 2007, 04:49:14 PM

And as for ageist shit, well, 'nuff said.  I don't seek respect.  I just came to chat.

Came to the wrong place.

:roll:

Yeah, dude, just go lurk more.
I promise you if you do it properly, you'll get hit by a sudden stroke of "duh" and realise what an idiot you've made yourself out to be.
Buddhist call it enlightenment I hear.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!