News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

let's complain about enki

Started by the last yatto, April 05, 2010, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

I can't see the owls on my phone :sad:

E.O.T.

LIKE ALL

the young spags, he was at least good for his emo pics WHEN HE HAD THAT CUTE GOAT BEARD

NOW

unless one can plug effects pedals into that gadget he's got, i don't know...
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 06, 2010, 09:45:51 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
I am confused... how does a single poster fuck up a thread?

Derailing a thread requires more than one person, doesn't it?

No it doesn't, read up on the Trolling manual on the BIP wiki for some examples. Not saying that Enki is deliberately trolling, but it's definitely possible to single-handedly derail a thread completely.

See also: cute baby owls.

Sure, on forums where people don't know what's happening... but here? Come on. I looked at that thread. Enki says something dumb, then there are two pages of people screaming at Enki. Why not ignore the dumbfuck and continue on with the discussion?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Pope Pixie Pickle

Official Message From Beardological Studies:

That beard was awful. My campaign against boy-beard is ongoing, and that example was pubes on a chin.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 06, 2010, 10:00:32 PM
Official Message From Beardological Studies:

That beard was awful. My campaign against boy-beard is ongoing, and that example was pubes on a chin.

YOU

and i are on different wave-lengths here, ma'am

I LIKE

that something to tug on when my pubes smack his chin

AND ALSO,

he is a boy, which makes it cute that he knows he can't look manly, but maybe like a little enchanted forest creature you catch by the tale and...
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 09:56:37 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on April 06, 2010, 09:45:51 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
I am confused... how does a single poster fuck up a thread?

Derailing a thread requires more than one person, doesn't it?

No it doesn't, read up on the Trolling manual on the BIP wiki for some examples. Not saying that Enki is deliberately trolling, but it's definitely possible to single-handedly derail a thread completely.

See also: cute baby owls.

Sure, on forums where people don't know what's happening... but here? Come on. I looked at that thread. Enki says something dumb, then there are two pages of people screaming at Enki. Why not ignore the dumbfuck and continue on with the discussion?

Rat I haven't read the forum for a couple of days so I don't know the thread you're referring to. And frankly I don't care. Because in some cases it is disruptive, and in some cases I agree that people overreact somewhat, however, neither is he showing any attempt or effort to remedy or reconcile situations like these. Or to try and learn what things are okay and what not. Or to apologize.

However, your statement about a single person not being able to derail a thread singlehandedly is false, stupid and based on poop.

It holds for other forums just as much as for this one. In fact, given historical records and empirical data, this forum even moreso. See for example Dead Kennedy or AKK or whatever. Hence me asserting the poop-basedness of your assumptions.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

You, EOT sir, are a very bad panda! This I approve of.

Carry on!

I just like my beards fully manly. Like Payne, or BRIAN BLESSED!

Dr. Paes

I didn't realise this thread was about a specific Enki issue, when I agreed with ECH.
If it's a battle between Cain and Enki, I'll change teams and agree that this thread is stupid.

Brotep

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 09:56:37 PM

Because we are a gaggle of cantankerous bastards?

I figure the reason courtesy is such a big deal in the occasional thread where actual civil discussion is taking place is because of the rarity of such threads.

Plus, Enki didn't just post an irrelevant-but-true observation (one of the more obnoxious forms of derailment), he got defensive when he was called on it. Getting defensive invites further attacks, thus derailing the thread further.

And then there are the posters who want to bitch about Enki 'ironically'.

All that said, if I were Cain I'd be miffed, too. When you start a thread hoping for a certain level of discourse that is denied you, that's already a letdown. Not only were Enki's posts disruptive--they were also pedantic.

Meaningless pedantry is the bane of good discussion, a major reason making serious forum posts is such a headache. It is one thing to have a point refuted by coherent argumentation, and quite another to be mocked or spellchecked into oblivion by someone who neither understands nor cares what you are saying.

Enki probably thought the backlash in response to his first post was unfair. Which it was. So he defended himself and thereby deserved it.

True story.

Quote from: Dr. Paes on April 06, 2010, 11:21:10 PM
I didn't realise this thread was about a specific Enki issue, when I agreed with ECH.
If it's a battle between Cain and Enki, I'll change teams and agree that this thread is stupid.
Never mind teams, I'm just on the side of good discussion.

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Chryselephantine Shavenwolf on April 06, 2010, 11:24:21 PM
But if we don't divide into teams how do I know who to screech at?

Brotep

Quote from: Dr. Paes on April 06, 2010, 11:35:04 PM
Quote from: Chryselephantine Shavenwolf on April 06, 2010, 11:24:21 PM
But if we don't divide into teams how do I know who to screech at?

Screech indiscriminately--you'll fit right in.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Pope Pixie Pickle

We need a stock response when enki is a dick.

Like, "Enki, go masturbate!" or something.

Payne

Pope Pixie Pickle

Yes!

:mittens for you, my love.