News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

"True" Discordians

Started by Cain, August 27, 2005, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

*Note:  I actually started a draft on this on Wednesday evening (BST) but I see Roger has beaten me to some of the points of this already in PD discussion.  Well, fuck it, I've spent time on this and I'm going to write it.  Sorry for the repetitive overlap.  And get out of my head Roger.  Its crowded enough as it is.

So, everyone is a Real Discordian?  I'm a Discordian, that man over there is a Discordian, that jerk behind me chewing like a cow on grass in the library is a Discordian and so is george W bush, your most loved/hated idols, pop stars and thinkers?

Hell no.

What would be the point in designating anything as "Discordian" if everything is?  Why would there be such a label it it encompassed eveything?  We've got other words for that, like "humanity", or "universal" and other terms.

Lets put it another way.  Would you say Adolf Hitler was Discordian, because of the discord, chaos and etc caused/initiated by him?  Because if so, then his actions are the actions of a Discordian.  And if this man (and I use that word looslely) was acting as a Discordian, then how can we, also identifying ourselves as part of that group, justify our own condemnation of ideals people like him hold?  "If eveything is permitted, then nothing is disallowed" should be changed to "if everyone is permitted, then nothing is allowed".

Lets set something straight: alot of people are not Discordian.  They may be agents of Chaos, Discord and change, but chances are they have never even heard of Eris, and in some cases probably couldnt spell it.  Just because you cause discord, it doesnt entitle you to be Discordian.

Of course, this raises the question of what is Discordian.  Difficult question.  Many people pride it on being so open to interpretation and personal belief, so they dont want to question it.  Its much easier to use the cop-out of "oh, but everyone..."

So I'm going to do it, since no-one else wants to open themselves to allegations of being a fascist who tells people what they can and cant be.  Without definition, there is no group.  Just some amorphous belief structure, more imagined to be shared than actually existing.  Which opens up the real problem, of belief being hijacked and used to other, less altruistic ends.

A Discordian generally (and I'm talking about generalities here.  If I leave out or misinterpret your personal ideas, too bad.  I'm not here to to please you.  Maybe if you had stepped up first, it wouldnt have been a problem) beliefs that the forces of the Universe are that of Discord and Order, which together are called Chaos.  It is believed that these forces are value neutral, though tendencies towards one or another are unnatural and represent an inbalance in the way of how things are.  This is especially seen in the obsession with order prevalent among political leaders, and that order is a "good" thing.

Also, it is believed that inclination towards seriousness in all things is another unnatural thing (I'm avoiding morality and value laden terms), linked to the obsession of order being good.  Humour is often based on the unpredictable, the unusual and unexpected, and so is seen as a counter to the imbalance of order within the world.

Thats as far as I can be bothered to go, but that, to me, is what a real Discordian is.  They subscribe to the philosophy, not just act like jerks and blame it all on some vague, not understood notion.  of course, there may be errors with it.  But this is why we have a forum.  We can discuss, debate, adapt our ideas.  That is, if anyone bothers to raise them at all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain*Note:  I actually started a draft on this on Wednesday evening (BST) but I see Roger has beaten me to some of the points of this already in PD discussion.  Well, fuck it, I've spent time on this and I'm going to write it.  Sorry for the repetitive overlap.  And get out of my head Roger.  Its crowded enough as it is.

1.  That wasn't me, it was Chef.  He has a habit of squatting on other people's frontal lobes.

2.  Discordianism = bullshit, just another religion.  That is all.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Zurtok Khan

Cain, sit down and shut up cause I'm gonna do some talking.

Your version of Discordianism is bullshit.  My version of Discordianism is just as much bullshit.  Get over it.

Everyone is a Discordian because Discordian = human.  Some people don't wish to acknowledge the power of chaos in thier lives.  Too bad for them, and for you.  Some people don't need chaos in their lives, they understand what's going on in the backround.  Good for them, I say.  Bad for them, I say.

It is not that we are trying to be "open to interpretation," or any such shit like that (and that is a truely stinky kind of shit), it's not hubris, or coping out, it's that every man, woman, and child is a pope.  A Pope, meaning that they are above the authority of the authorities.  Even your (or mine) so-called authority as *ahem* Discordians.  

If you're so hyped up on chaos then why don't you dissolve into the rest of the universe like so-much alka-seltzer in water?  You're still traped in the "evils" of order.  You use it and manipulate it constantly.  Order is not bad, Chaos is not bad.  It is not about good or bad, but recognizing both order and chaos as integral to your life can be a good thing.

There is no philosophy.  Get over it.  "The Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao."  Therefore, I am wrong, and you are wrong, and we're all wrong.  And since we're all wrong, by consensus we must all be right  :lol:

Ignore your "Discordian" side.  It doesn't exist.  Free yourself from your psychic suit of armor and enjoy the happy laughing chaos that may or may not be your life (and all the rest of that psychological, something is wrong with the world and I can fix it for you for 20$ a day bullshit).  Who's to say?  

Your Discordianism is just as much bullshit as mine is.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Zurtok KhanYour version of Discordianism is bullshit.  My version of Discordianism is just as much bullshit.  Get over it.

Order is not bad, Chaos is not bad.  It is not about good or bad, but recognizing both order and chaos as integral to your life can be a good thing.

There is no philosophy.  Get over it.  "The Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao."  Therefore, I am wrong, and you are wrong, and we're all wrong.  And since we're all wrong, by consensus we must all be right  :lol:

Ignore your "Discordian" side.  It doesn't exist.  Free yourself from your psychic suit of armor and enjoy the happy laughing chaos that may or may not be your life (and all the rest of that psychological, something is wrong with the world and I can fix it for you for 20$ a day bullshit).  Who's to say?  

So, in other words, you are channeling Don Henley :shock:

Zurtok Khan

Who the fuck is Don Henley and why do I want to be him?
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Zurtok KhanWho the fuck is Don Henley and why do I want to be him?
From the Eagles, I don't know why you would want to be like him, they did a song called Get Over It.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

LMNO

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
So, in other words, you are channeling Don Henley :shock:

Sorry Eldora, but that was weak.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Zurtok KhanCain, sit down and shut up cause I'm gonna do some talking.

Your version of Discordianism is bullshit.  My version of Discordianism is just as much bullshit.  Get over it.

Everyone is a Discordian because Discordian = human.  Some people don't wish to acknowledge the power of chaos in thier lives.  Too bad for them, and for you.  Some people don't need chaos in their lives, they understand what's going on in the backround.  Good for them, I say.  Bad for them, I say.

It is not that we are trying to be "open to interpretation," or any such shit like that (and that is a truely stinky kind of shit), it's not hubris, or coping out, it's that every man, woman, and child is a pope.  A Pope, meaning that they are above the authority of the authorities.  Even your (or mine) so-called authority as *ahem* Discordians.  

If you're so hyped up on chaos then why don't you dissolve into the rest of the universe like so-much alka-seltzer in water?  You're still traped in the "evils" of order.  You use it and manipulate it constantly.  Order is not bad, Chaos is not bad.  It is not about good or bad, but recognizing both order and chaos as integral to your life can be a good thing.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Zurtok KhanCain, sit down and shut up cause I'm gonna do some talking.

Everyone is a Discordian because Discordian = human.  

Jesus...that's stupid.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Merlin of Chaos

Yeah, Zurtok Khan is silly...

Not everyone is a Discordian, because discordians still follow 1 rule only - no rules. And not every person on earth does that, they like the way they grow up and somehow magically become more mature because they know if they act mature, they are mature, they completely forget how they were when they were just kids, all chaos and fun and discord and more fun!

5th law of the pentabarf = A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing what he reads.

One of the reasons Chaos Magickians are also discordians because "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" based on this one same law of the pentabarf, it makes sense... Or not.
I don't know if this signature fits me, but I guess I'll have to try:

F.n.o.r.d!

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

I didn't know all humans were Discordians.

I didn't even know all Chaos Magicians were Discordians.

Hell, I was even unaware of the fact that Discordians were even supposed to be undefined.

It matters little and means even less. So nevermind.

Anyone have any news from the Big Easy? That's what I want to know. I haven't heard anything good so far.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Horab Fibslager

news from the big easy is.

BOOM HEADSHOT!

Hell is other people.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Merlin of ChaosYeah, Zurtok Khan is silly...

Not everyone is a Discordian, because discordians still follow 1 rule only - no rules. And not every person on earth does that, they like the way they grow up and somehow magically become more mature because they know if they act mature, they are mature, they completely forget how they were when they were just kids, all chaos and fun and discord and more fun!

5th law of the pentabarf = A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing what he reads.

One of the reasons Chaos Magickians are also discordians because "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" based on this one same law of the pentabarf, it makes sense... Or not.

you spelled it wrong.

it's "Madjikque"

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"