News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

economic proof that at some point it is desirable to die

Started by thewake, October 19, 2015, 03:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewake

"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

This diagram doesn't even make sense according to economic theory.  And that's quite an accomplishment.

thewake

Quote from: Cain on October 19, 2015, 10:44:02 AM
This diagram doesn't even make sense according to economic theory.  And that's quite an accomplishment.
how so?
declining marginal benefits
increasing marginal costs
--holding all other things constant

makes perfect sense. looks like a standard graph of marginal benefits and marginal costs
--H. L. Mencken

Q. G. Pennyworth

Maybe you might want to define and/or measure literally anything before you slap lines on a graph.

thewake

Let me be more explicit, which may give all of you a lesson in microeconomics and marginal theory:

The "good" the hypothetical individual here is consuming are units, or rather moments, of life. so the x-axis is time lived. Moving further to the right indicates that the person is living longer, and therefore consuming more and more units of life, time on earth, etc.

The y axis is utility (aka benefit). one can't actually measure utility in and of itself, so in most cases the utility is measured in dollars by assuming that the highest amount someone is willing to pay for something is a dollar measure of the utility one derives from it. In this case, because we can't really measure the value of a unit of life in dollars given our current means of measuring things, we have to just assume that there is a level of utility that exists and we could measure it if we had the ability to (and do we not all feel how much value we derive from consuming a certain product or doing a certain thing? are we not able to discern our own utility from consuming something? so, differing levels of utility do exist)

Let me now define MARGINAL utility as: "The additional satisfaction a consumer gains from consuming one more unit of a good or service" (thanks, Investopedia)

for normal goods, they obey the law of diminishing marginal utility (link to an explanation). So, the curve labeled "marginal benefit of living one more moment" indicates that the additional utility of living another moment of life (aka consuming another unit of this good we're analyzing) declines with each unit consumed. Of course it may not be shaped like a straight line for anybody, but we're assuming that generally, over time, it trends downward. So a straight line is good enough to illustrate my point.

The curve labeled "marginal cost of living one more moment" assumes that the cost (in utility) of living one more moment of life, as we move rightward along the x-axis, goes up for each unit of life consumer, moment of life lived, however you'd like to say. This seems like a decent assumption to make. As we get older, life tends to suck more for most people and it's costlier to keep oneself alive. Organs deteriorate, as well as the mind. Even if the costs of living one more moment of life were constant throughout life (i.e. the marginal cost curve were horizontal) the graph would still illustrate my point:

Which is that, at time T* on the graph, the marginal cost of living one more moment of life equals the marginal benefits (at a utility level of U*). So, following this logic, continuing to live another moment past this will in fact cost more in terms of utility to a person than they get out of it (in other words, it will be "more trouble than it's worth").

I was really stoned when I came up with this idea.
--H. L. Mencken

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: thewake on October 19, 2015, 10:57:50 PM
Let me be more explicit, which may give all of you a lesson in microeconomics and marginal theory

This is gonna be good, I can tell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

I was really stoned when I came up with this idea.

You could have led with this and saved us all a lot of time.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 20, 2015, 02:20:25 AM
Let me be more explicit, which may give all of you a lesson in microeconomics and marginal theory

:lulz: :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Let me be more explicit, which may give all of you a lesson in microeconomics and marginal theory:

This is going to end really well.  I can sense it.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 20, 2015, 02:20:25 AM

I am actually squeeing.  Like OUT LOUD.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

So, this guy graphed postmodernism.  I fucking hate postmodernists.  Modernists say there is a solution to everything.  Postmodernists say everything is fucked and you can't fix it.  So if you're sick of the miseryguts doom & gloom bullshit, punch a postmodernist.

Or maybe he graphed what he assumes middle age is like.  I'm middle aged, and I'm fucking awesome.  I am better off, and a better1 person than I was at 20.

But he's going to give us a lesson in macroeconomics.  Someone give him the clown shoes.

1  Of course, I was a cunt to begin with, so...

thewake

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2015, 05:05:24 AM
So, this guy graphed postmodernism.  I fucking hate postmodernists.  Modernists say there is a solution to everything.  Postmodernists say everything is fucked and you can't fix it.  So if you're sick of the miseryguts doom & gloom bullshit, punch a postmodernist.

I'm an American not any of your commie bullshit.

QuoteOr maybe he graphed what he assumes middle age is like.  I'm middle aged, and I'm fucking awesome.  I am better off, and a better1 person than I was at 20.

I'm a worse person than I was at 20. However, I like being worse.

I'm 9000 years old.

But he's going to give us a lesson in macroeconomics.  Someone give him the clown shoes.

Nah, macro is pretty fucked. Go read a book on that one.
--H. L. Mencken

Rembo

How can the cost of living another moment (barring shit that makes you ask for euthanasia) EVER outweigh the benefit, to ME?
I might outlive my usefulness to YOU, or the Machine, but that's notnthe same. Is it?

I wanna LIVE!

I find that trying to put an economic value on life hardly ever leads to 'good things'...
The Hills in Discordia are Thornly...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: thewake on October 20, 2015, 05:34:24 AM

I'm an American not any of your commie bullshit.

QuoteOr maybe he graphed what he assumes middle age is like.  I'm middle aged, and I'm fucking awesome.  I am better off, and a better1 person than I was at 20.

I'm a worse person than I was at 20. However, I like being worse.

I'm 9000 years old.

Nah, macro is pretty fucked. Go read a book on that one.

:sotw: