News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Moral Relativity VS. An Absolute Moral System

Started by Dimocritus, September 22, 2009, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

i'd be careful using words like "should" around here.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2009, 08:13:13 PM
I'm sorry, I was looking about two to three feet lower than her face, and from the back.

What was that you were saying?

Apparently, there is an element at PD that thinks she's ugly.

Two people so far.  MMIX and Rat.

She's only ugly on the inside. 

LMNO
-has watched the TV show.  The entire family are horrible, horrible people.

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 24, 2009, 02:21:36 AM
Quote from: Cain on September 23, 2009, 03:37:27 PM
Why would a workable moral system unify people? 

Shouldn't a moral system work for the benefit of more than one social construct (for more than just your social construct)?

If yes, than it should work towards a unification of peoples, as rifts between cultures retard the spread of ideas. No large achievements are made by individuals, they're accomplished by collaboration and the exchange of ideas between different societies. No international space station without collaboration. None of the  wonders of the world (on the other hand, no atomic bomb) etc.. I feel a moral system should be used to benefit even those beyond yourself or your society, because it is that that will reap the most benefit for humanity as a whole.

If no, then what is the point of even trying to solve international and cross cultural issues? Why not just stay in bed, or do whatever it is that makes you happy?   

I agree, however, in the end that complete RM can't sustain itself (based on the resulting impediment in progress), a solid AM is not flexible enough to meet the requirements of the complex situations it's meant to judge in simple terms, and any combination of the two would, in the end, eat itself.

What is there that's left?

Why do arbitrary game rules have to have a net gain on society? 

You're introducing a priori value judgements here; you're applying your personal moral game rules upon all game rules.

LMNO

Oh, I found a chapter in the Chao te Ching that may relate:

Chapter 19

Abandon blind faith and pseudointellectual bullshit,
the people will benefit.
Abandon absolute morality,
the people won't try to kill the Other.
Abandon intellectual copyright,
and there will be nothing to steal.

People will always be distracted by their imagination:
Religion; Territory; Morals; Politics.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 24, 2009, 01:55:51 PM
She's only ugly on the inside. 

So I'd make her wear a flag over her pancreas.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2009, 08:13:13 PM
I'm sorry, I was looking about two to three feet lower than her face, and from the back.

What was that you were saying?

Apparently, there is an element at PD that thinks she's ugly.

Two people so far.  MMIX and Rat.

Did I say she was Ugly?

I don't think she's ugly, Hell, I'd tap that if I could boil her for 15 minutes first.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on September 24, 2009, 03:05:56 PM
Oh, I found a chapter in the Chao te Ching that may relate:

Chapter 19

Abandon blind faith and pseudointellectual bullshit,
the people will benefit.
Abandon absolute morality,
the people won't try to kill the Other.
Abandon intellectual copyright,
and there will be nothing to steal.

People will always be distracted by their imagination:
Religion; Territory; Morals; Politics.

Yep, I suppose this wins the thread. The only crappy thing is I'm stuck in this ridiculous class for the rest of the semester.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 22, 2009, 06:45:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 22, 2009, 05:31:51 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 22, 2009, 05:23:34 PM
I don't specifically blame individuals for acting in line with their social norms,

I do.  Excuses are like assholes.  You KNOW that "the cutting of the rose" is going to deprive your daughter of a normal marriage, but you do it anyway, to "preserve her virtue" as society demands.  This makes you an evil bastard, who should be shoved in a chipper.

Well, in some sense I agree... though I can see the argument that a monkey with specific programs running in his head might not put those things together and recoginize the badwrongness of their actions. That doesn't make their actions less badwrong... it just means the monkey is in serious need of some reprogramming.

Then you have a defective monkey.  Any primate of average intelligence would realize the above, but they ignore their intelligence in favor of what other people have told them about what a big scarey man in the sky would have said, if he'd thought of it (female circumcision is not in the Koran, IIRC).

Programming is not a reason, it's an excuse.

I disagree. Programming is how societies work.

And THIS is what we're trying to determine.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 24, 2009, 06:56:33 PM
I don't think she's ugly, Hell, I'd tap that if I could boil her for 15 minutes first.  :lulz:

Thank you, Ratatosk, I'll be writing that one down and using it the next time my cheating soon-to-be-ex-husband pisses me off.  "God, I hope you boiled it for 15 minutes before you stuck your dick in it."
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Luna on March 10, 2011, 07:13:46 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on September 24, 2009, 06:56:33 PM

Thank you, Ratatosk, I'll be writing that one down and using it the next time my cheating soon-to-be-ex-husband pisses me off.  "God, I hope you boiled it for 15 minutes before you stuck your dick in it."
:lulz:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson