News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

the triumph of maybe logic (?)

Started by LHX, December 22, 2005, 03:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Not on it's way out-- it has to do with the way the primate brain functions.  Labeling, categorizing-- hell, even the bible has Adam classifying things right off the bat.

humanity as a whole will probably never get over "is".  But trying to escape tends not only to be fun, but itis mildly enlightening as to how we function as humans.

Also, as Hugh will probably point out, it can be a mistake to put too much faith in simple semantic word games to lead us into bliss.  Just because you sometimes use maybe/fuzzy logic doesn't make you much better tham the pinks/greys/cabbages/opiez.

LHX

believe it or not
it may not have anything to do with 'being better than'

actually
it doesnt

maybe the only thing it changes is that you will not find yourself in a situation where you were depending on something (an implication of using the word 'IS')
only to have that something not dependable

also
doesnt this whole thing point out that even the bible (gasp) could be subject to this fallacy?

or perhaps even takes advantage of this fallacy?

i agree that conspiracy has gone out of style
but
that does not mean that any and every advantage was used throughout history

even a salesman knows that
(this is the last appliance you will ever need)

maybe the only difference between us and pinks/greys/cabbages/opiez is restlessness and discomfort
neat hell

hooplala

I love E-Prime.

At work I speak almost solely in E-Prime, but it's difficult and almost pointless to try to speak in E-Prime when simply shooting the shit with friends.  Although if an argument pops up it is very helpful.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Schizzy

It's a conspiracy.  Er, it seems to be a conspiracy to knock the fundamentalist existentialists off-kilter.  They're watching!  I never relayed this message.  It doesn't exist.  Think of a pink golf ball!  ::POOF::

LMNO

Quote from: LHXdoesnt this whole thing point out that even the bible (gasp) could be subject to this fallacy?

The bible does indeed seem to be filled with this apparent fallacy (even down to YHWH,Äôs ,ÄúI am that I am.,Äù).  My point was that the tendency to name and classify things can be traced all the way to the creation myths.  Even in our beloved Tiamat and Marduk story, we had Things (stuff that has been ,Äúis-ed,Äù) separated from chaos (undefinable; Cf: the tao that can be told is not the eternal tao, etc).

Jean-Paul Fartre

We are in a sea of information that is now proven to be indestructible.

For us to feel as if we understand, we label, assign limits, delineate rules and place it into our constructed system.

However, we cannot be complacent!  Filet mignon is not simply a delicious dish, it has many levels, which may or may not be appreciated by our little minds.
...un homard est-il plus ridicule qu'un chien, qu'un chat, qu'une gazelle, qu'un lion ou toute autre bête dont on se fait suivre ? J'ai le goût des homards, qui sont tranquilles, sérieux, savent les secrets de la mer, n'aboient pas... -- Gérard de Nerval

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco," which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. -- Norton I

Rev Thwack

My balls itch...

Jean-Paul Fartre

...un homard est-il plus ridicule qu'un chien, qu'un chat, qu'une gazelle, qu'un lion ou toute autre bête dont on se fait suivre ? J'ai le goût des homards, qui sont tranquilles, sérieux, savent les secrets de la mer, n'aboient pas... -- Gérard de Nerval

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco," which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. -- Norton I

Rev Thwack

People that misunderstood my previous statement = 1
My balls itch...

LHX

Quote from: erotic
Quote from: LHXdoesnt this whole thing point out that even the bible (gasp) could be subject to this fallacy?

The bible does indeed seem to be filled with this apparent fallacy (even down to YHWH,Äôs ,ÄúI am that I am.,Äù).  My point was that the tendency to name and classify things can be traced all the way to the creation myths.  Even in our beloved Tiamat and Marduk story, we had Things (stuff that has been ,Äúis-ed,Äù) separated from chaos (undefinable; Cf: the tao that can be told is not the eternal tao, etc).

fuck
that tao thing fits right in

i forgot about that

just because the fallacy might be deeply rooted does not really mean that it can be written off

it also doesnt mean that it wasnt put in motion with conscious intent

the more i look into it
the more evidence there seems to be that 'IS'ness might be an anomaly

the leap from communicating to recording information to recording false information may be a lot more significant that it appears at first

the only way you can broadcast false information seems to rely on 'IS'

there IS a god and he IS watching
vs
there might be a god and he might be watching

how else can you send someone down the wrong path than by selling them a definitive reality?
neat hell

Jean-Paul Fartre

Quote from: Rev ThwackPeople that misunderstood my previous statement = 1

Persons that cared about what you were talking about = 0.
Persons that simply wanted to miao = 1.
Persons that were persons and not people = subject to debate.

If/not nor, bleep, bleep...

Rev Thwack

vs

How about:
god exists and watches all.
My balls itch...

LMNO

Quote from: LHX
just because the fallacy might be deeply rooted does not really mean that it can be written off

Agreed.  Nor should it, IMO.

Quoteit also doesnt mean that it wasnt put in motion with conscious intent

Then again, it doesn't mean it was.

Quotethe only way you can broadcast false information seems to rely on 'IS'

how else can you send someone down the wrong path than by selling them a definitive reality?

It appears that I seem at this current moment using the best perceptive skills possible, that I probably am wearing the bodies of dead babies as shoes.

^written in E-prime, and false.

Wait a minute...

::checks feet::

AAUGH!

LMNO

Quote from: Jean-Paul Fartre
Quote from: Rev ThwackPeople that misunderstood my previous statement = 1

Persons that cared about what you were talking about = 0.
Persons that simply wanted to miao = 1.
Persons that were persons and not people = subject to debate.

If/not nor, bleep, bleep...

43 posts and counting...

LMNO

Quote from: Rev Thwack

vs

How about:
god exists and watches all.

Also:

The "is" appears to be hidden, but still there.

In E-prime:

The concept commonly referred to as "God" seems to exist for me in my current belief system, and it is my opinion that he watches all, as improbable as that may sound.