News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

They can't buy this

Started by PopeGillies, April 07, 2016, 05:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeGillies

For my first post here, I want to lay out why I am, and always will be, to varying degrees, a discordian (of sorts).

I personally identify most with the Black Iron Prison formulation of discordianism. I feel like it describes my life and the lives of others well, and it gives me something to aspire to: freedom, of sorts. I try to reach through the bars of my prison, or at least, redo the wallpaper when it is needed. I think its interesting how perception changes can really change everything both within and without oneself.

But the depressing part is the capitalism of it all; the revolution has been bought, sold, branded, marketed, turned into shares, embezzled, washed, rewashed, dried, and hung. By the revolution, I mean the musical revolution. Calvin and Hobbes got it in one of their strips I think, and only after seeing it did it really dawn on me: every form of entertainment (save a select few) that was once seen as rebellious and world-changing, has been appropriated by businesses and CEO's for monetary gain. In the process they have become watered down, so that the masses can enjoy what was otherwise something new, risky, and fun.

Rock is a good example, as is punk. It used to be only about rebellion, smashing the system, and poetry played to the tune of an electric guitar. Now, its been appropriated into pop and pop punk, watered down, and shelled out as a consumer product.

In our everyday lives, a large part of our prisons are made of such commercial products. Our identities are bought and sold to the highest bidder. Like BIP says: those shows we watch aren't "our shows".

But I will tell you this. As long as I am drinking my Dunkin Donuts coffee, and as long as I read tumblr, and watch youtube channels, they cannot buy and sell this, right here. right now.

I'm okay with some of my prison being commercialized. I like my coffee in the morning from Dunkin. I like tumblr, and I like my youtube. But I don't want it all to be that way. I don't want to be  a cog.

They can't buy discordianism. They can't market BIP, or Principia. It isn't even protected by traditional copyright laws, so I can write this and call it Principia Discordia if I want to. They cannot buy, that which is freely given and freely changed.

They can't buy writing either. What I write here is freely given, and you may edit it as you wish. They can't get to it. It is literally beyond their control.

This is one reason I am a discordian. It is just one small way to achieve what I feel is most important: freedom.
"Fuck Bitches, Get Money" -Nietzsche

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey there, new guy! I liked this piece. It's like a small defiant fist clinging to the one small thing They can't take away.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeGillies on April 07, 2016, 05:04:45 AM
For my first post here, I want to lay out why I am, and always will be, to varying degrees, a discordian (of sorts).

I personally identify most with the Black Iron Prison formulation of discordianism. I feel like it describes my life and the lives of others well, and it gives me something to aspire to: freedom, of sorts. I try to reach through the bars of my prison, or at least, redo the wallpaper when it is needed. I think its interesting how perception changes can really change everything both within and without oneself.

<snip>

This is one reason I am a discordian. It is just one small way to achieve what I feel is most important: freedom.

I like this a great deal, despite my disagreement with the whole prison thing.  I will dig up the old cliche that I'm not stuck in there with them, they're stuck in here with me.

I do like the "one finger on each hand up" attitude in this piece. 

I think you should spout some more rants, as soon as you're ready.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

QuoteRock is a good example, as is punk. It used to be only about rebellion, smashing the system, and poetry played to the tune of an electric guitar. Now, its been appropriated into pop and pop punk, watered down, and shelled out as a consumer product.

Just wanted to note that every time I hear this or similar, I can't help but think of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

QuoteAllin wrote to Maximum RocknRoll stating that he would commit suicide on stage on Halloween 1989. However, he was in jail when that day came. He continued his threat each following year but ended up imprisoned each following Halloween. When asked why he did not follow through with his threats, Allin stated, "With GG, you don't get what you expect—you get what you deserve."

You can say whatever you like about the man (Justifiably so) but damn he was FREE.

And Hi, new entity. Continue.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Eater of Clowns

Turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds.

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds turds

I changed every word in your Principia Discordia to turds.

Not because I disliked it, actually I liked it quite a bit. Not because I disagree with it, but because I agree with it so much.  :)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Junkenstein

You see, this is the kind of constructive criticism that keeps people here for years. You can't buy that kind of feedback.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Hey new guy! I like this and I'm stealing it.

LMNO

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 07, 2016, 01:45:27 PM
You see, this is the kind of constructive criticism that keeps people here for years. You can't buy that kind of feedback.

:potd:

PopeGillies

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 07, 2016, 05:18:27 AM

<snip>

I like this a great deal, despite my disagreement with the whole prison thing.  I will dig up the old cliche that I'm not stuck in there with them, they're stuck in here with me.

I always have more. Seriously I have a whole google doc full of this crap. Thanks to you all for the positive support and constructive criticism. The guy who changed every word into "turds" however, said it better.  :fnord:
"Fuck Bitches, Get Money" -Nietzsche

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeGillies on April 08, 2016, 03:49:24 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 07, 2016, 05:18:27 AM

<snip>

I always have more. Seriously I have a whole google doc full of this crap. Thanks to you all for the positive support and constructive criticism. The guy who changed every word into "turds" however, said it better.  :fnord:

EoC is deranged, and in fact isn't even a person.  You should take anything he says with a 2 ton grain of salt, and for fuck's sake, don't let him do the driving.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

hirley0