News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Tis an ill wind that blows no jobs....

Started by Prickly, July 19, 2004, 10:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollax

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: AnonymousBut, anyway, if you're gonna throw centuries of study in economics out the window,

The laffer curve is centuries of years old?

Minimum wage is?

:lol:
Roger, what is wrong with you?

::raps the good reverend on the head with his zen stick thingy::

The minimum wage is millenia old!

Of course, back then they called it slavery. You could do anything you
wanted to slaves, but you also had to provide shelter, clothing, food,
everything they consumed. And they were disposable, too.

Today you have lots of restrictions on what you can do to your slaves,
but you don't have to provide for them or their families anymore. Just
fork out the minimum wage.

Slaves are a lot cheaper nowadays.

The larry laffer curve?  :wink:  :lol:

To further Gnimbley's point I'll nod and smile on the fact that numbers rarely line up with reality. Psychology is another good example; every survey and test I've taken in my two years at Uni I've been in the marginal end of the bell curve. Economics isn't my strong suit but from what I remember of statistics, you're only concerned with the major 66% of the workforce and minorly concerned with the next 29%. The general once more play their cruel jokes on the particular...

Chef

Quote from: Prickly
Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: PricklyYou support using the government to force employers to pay cartain employees more.

Gah! How did you get this from anything anyone said?

I stopped reading after that. One thing though, you seem to believe that people are trying to disprove your points (not that you've actually offered any proof for them to disprove but we'll skip the argument about the metaphysical differences between science and philosphy for now). This is almost certainly not the case. I think that everyone gave up trying to address your arguments and are mostly trying to disillusion you. I suspect that this is futile.

What exactly do you think minimum wage is? It's a law passed by government that forces employers to pay at or above a certain amount to employees. Doesn't take into account what changes they have to make to be able to afford it. Whether or not you think that force is justified, or that it will have its intended consequence without unintended side effects, if you can't see that any government restriction is a use of force, you're blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

LEMME GET THIS STRAIGHT, OPIE...YOU WORK AT TACO BELL, AND YOU DON'T LIKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.

Quote from: Laughing & ScreamingI dont care for this kind of debate, since I dont really give a rats ass about economics or sophism, but I would like to say that its nearly fucking impossible to even survive on minimum wage.

I cant imagine ever working for even less.

Commie.

Dont blow my cover!

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: PricklyAlright, just so long as we're clear that the best response either gnimbley or Roger can come up with is "economics is wrong because I disagree with it and that's all there is to it", I'm satisfied.

TRANSLATION:  "I cannot refute any of the points made. so I will ignore them."

Roger, your wit could kill.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: Hotsuma
Quote from: PricklyAlright, just so long as we're clear that the best response either gnimbley or Roger can come up with is "economics is wrong because I disagree with it and that's all there is to it", I'm satisfied.

TRANSLATION:  "I cannot refute any of the points made. so I will ignore them."

Roger, your wit could kill.

It does.  I've seen it.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Fuck it!

There's always the ultimate imperative.

When conditions get so shitty that the working class (formerly known as serfs and slaves) absolutely cannot hide inside the condescending theories and dogmas of the over-class (religion, politics, and the modern fanatical theology known as economics), they go apeshittedly batty and kill as many of the over-class as they can lay their hands on. Thus relieving the pressure and redistributing some of the wealth that survives all the destruction. And for a time, a moment or two, the people can breath easier, until the advanced yahoo-revolutionaries decide to become another over-class, thus setting the entire dysfunctional lopsided wheel in motion again.

Fuck it.

Smash the filthy thing!

We may get squashed like bugs, but at least we'll smoke a few Cubans before the bullets, beatings, and prisons take us.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Cain

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSC on August 11, 2004, 08:57:16 AM
Fuck it!

There's always the ultimate imperative.

When conditions get so shitty that the working class (formerly known as serfs and slaves) absolutely cannot hide inside the condescending theories and dogmas of the over-class (religion, politics, and the modern fanatical theology known as economics), they go apeshittedly batty and kill as many of the over-class as they can lay their hands on. Thus relieving the pressure and redistributing some of the wealth that survives all the destruction. And for a time, a moment or two, the people can breath easier, until the advanced yahoo-revolutionaries decide to become another over-class, thus setting the entire dysfunctional lopsided wheel in motion again.

Fuck it.

Smash the filthy thing!

We may get squashed like bugs, but at least we'll smoke a few Cubans before the bullets, beatings, and prisons take us.

lail

Unjustified optimism, ITT

The Anti-Cabbage or Fig-1

High standard of living = bigger tv.. nicer car.. ever increasing brain death

I demand higher levels of slack. 

Petition your local congressman to increase the minimum slack wage today.

And now a quote from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy: :fnord:

"(The Presidents) job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it."
The Ghost in the Machine is a Peeping Tom.

A*S* K.S.C. P.O.E.E. A.S.P.C.A.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Prickly on July 19, 2004, 10:18:12 AM
http://www.cato.org/dailys/02-25-04-2.html
Yet more evidence that controlled, orderly economies leave people worse off than free, chaotic ones....

Yet more evidence that people will use any fact to support what they already believe  :lol:

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Torodung

Quote from: Enki-][ on March 06, 2009, 05:55:11 PM
Quote from: Prickly on July 19, 2004, 10:18:12 AM
http://www.cato.org/dailys/02-25-04-2.html
Yet more evidence that controlled, orderly economies leave people worse off than free, chaotic ones....

Yet more evidence that people will use any fact to support what they already believe  :lol:

QFT. Wow. Rationalization sucks, don't it?
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prickly on July 20, 2004, 02:08:40 AM
Ah, but that's the beauty of it.
If we make job creation in the US cheaper (by repealing excess taxes and regulations that drive up the costs of job creation), job creation in the US will increase dramatically. The number of available jobs will increase to well above the current population, to the point that companies (which will now have moremoney to expand with due to getting more profit from the elimination of taxes and regulations) will begin expanding into other countries, creating jobs there. So, we'll have more jobs at home AND abroad, instead of either having protectionism and having jobs here only, or having high taxes and regulations and having jobs going overseas with none to replace them, or having both and having many fewer jobs anywhere.

There's one born every minute.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Susan on April 09, 2011, 02:43:06 AM
If we make job creation in the US cheaper (by repealing excess taxes and regulations that drive up the costs of job creation), job creation in the US will increase dramatically. The number of available jobs will increase to well above the current population, to the point that companies (which will now have moremoney to expand with due to getting more profit from the elimination of taxes and regulations) will begin expanding into other countries, creating jobs there. So, we'll have more jobs at home AND abroad, instead of either having protectionism and having jobs here only, or having high taxes and regulations and having jobs going overseas with none to replace them, or having both and having many fewer jobs anywhere.

Wow, somebody missed Econ 101. What is this idealistic nonsense?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 09, 2011, 02:51:27 AM
Quote from: Susan on April 09, 2011, 02:43:06 AM

Wow, somebody missed Econ 101. What is this idealistic nonsense?

Back in 2004/2005, we were awash in assholes like this.  Every trustafarian that every read RAW trooped in here jabbering about how the Free MarketTM was gonna fix everything.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I love this shit.

LMNO

What I love is that this hypothesis is completely testable, and no one who spouts it bothers to check the numbers.