News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

painted miniatures

Started by Elder Iptuous, November 14, 2011, 02:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Anybody here paint minis for tabletop rpg?

I had some in the closet that were from over a decade ago when my friend and i were just screwing around with a simple game called warchest.  it was fun painting them, but i had mostly forgotten about it.

my kiddos pulled them out a couple weeks ago, and we were playing with them for fun.  i checked my paints, but they were dried shut and ancient, so i went to the comic store and got a few minis and some paints, and found that it's really relaxing to geek out on.

i was looking online to learn how to paint better, and saw some incredible work out there!

I'd love to be half this good!

Cain

I used to play Warhammer against a couple of friends.  For the main units, I didn't go into much detail (white undercoat, silver on the metal, white and blue for the uniforms and pink on the faces/hands.

For the leading officers, mages and monsters on the other hand...well, I once spent several hours just modifying the likes of this so the "empty" hand was trailing a rope with heads tied to it, and putting flayed limbs and broken weapons around the feet of the mode (I had a larger base for it than the one in the picture).  Then I probably spent another full day just painting it.  It was worth it, though, by the end it looked absolutely epic, and the kind of thing Games Workshop would pay a professional to do.

Elder Iptuous

nice!
i haven't done any modifications yet, but that seems like it would be fun, too.  i saw a centaur some guy had made, obviously, from the upper body of a human and a horse with it's head removed, and it was perfect.  never could tell that it was a mod, and it looked fantastic.

incidentally, i went to the art store yesterday to get a better brush than the ones in the 5 pack that i got from the hobby store and found that it made a huge difference...  also, i'd gotten some paints specifically for miniatures from the comic store rather than the thicker and glossy paints that i was using from the hobby store, and they are far superior.

too long has the geeky homunculus residing in my heart been subdued!

Cain

Having the right brushes and paints will make a world of difference, it's true.  I bought my paint from Games Workshop, which wasn't too bad, except when it came to storage. but I went to the art store for brushes and other supplies.  A really fine brush is needed, after all, and with one you can do absolute wonders.

Elder Iptuous

yeppa.

next purchase:  big fucking desktop magnifying glass!

i need one anyways for electronics work, and it'll save me from having to get a stronger contact lens prescription every two weeks if i continue this hobby.

Luna

For really, REALLY fine detail, I used a cat whisker.  Little buggers shed them, and they're perfect.  Just stiff enough, very fine to work with,  and, well, free...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on November 14, 2011, 03:24:31 PMI used a cat whisker.  Little buggers shed them, and they're perfect.

Uh-huh.

Nothing to do with that time they made you "shed" your bacon eh? ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

interesting.
perhaps my dearly departed Panthro will once again prove a valuable friend as i have a collection of about 50 or so of his whiskers in a spice jar...

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2011, 04:48:47 PM
Quote from: Luna on November 14, 2011, 03:24:31 PMI used a cat whisker.  Little buggers shed them, and they're perfect.

Uh-huh.

Nothing to do with that time they made you "shed" your bacon eh? ;-)

Nothing at all.  That also has nothing to do with the fact that one of the little bastards USED to be a long-haired kitty.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

Can anybody recommend a good website for buying pre-painted minis? I'm Christmas hunting for the perfect minis for the characters in my D&D group.

Elder Iptuous

Well, the comic book store here seems to only stock (apart from the warhammer stuff) Reaper brand minis, and some Ral Partha.  the Reaper stuff seems much better, and they have a line of plastic prepainted figures.  the painting seems pretty decent for mass produced figures.
from what i've seen, they charge the same price on their website as they do at the store, so...

also, here is first mini i had done actually trying:

i have a few more that i'm working on, but haven't finished...

Freeky

Quote from: Iptuous on December 08, 2011, 11:06:54 PM
Well, the comic book store here seems to only stock (apart from the warhammer stuff) Reaper brand minis, and some Ral Partha.  the Reaper stuff seems much better, and they have a line of plastic prepainted figures.  the painting seems pretty decent for mass produced figures.
from what i've seen, they charge the same price on their website as they do at the store, so...

also, here is first mini i had done actually trying:

i have a few more that i'm working on, but haven't finished...

What kind of fig is that?  It looks like a Pathfinder (the prestige class) mini.

The Good Reverend Roger

Looks like she's gonna trip over her fucking sword.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2011, 04:33:06 AM
Looks like she's gonna trip over her fucking sword.   :lulz:

I totally didn't notice the sword.  I was too distracted by her tits book.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 09, 2011, 04:35:55 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2011, 04:33:06 AM
Looks like she's gonna trip over her fucking sword.   :lulz:

I totally didn't notice the sword.  I was too distracted by her tits book.

Now I know who's been making the figs all sticky.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.