News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Add your eccentric food habits/tips/quirks here!

Started by navkat, October 29, 2008, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 15, 2011, 12:41:08 AM
I drink yerba mate because coffee does terrible things to my stomach. Shoe Ears and family refer to it as "horse tea" because it has a grassy element to the flavor.

Thanks for posting that link. I had been meaning to look up what maté is because its constantly mentioned in the fiction of Jorge Luis Borges, and your post reminded me.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 15, 2011, 03:56:10 PM
I love how white people are super-into telling everyone about food they don't like or can't eat because the taste/texture/smell makes them feel sick.

Also how they are gluten and lactose intolerant and can't have certain vegetables because it makes them gassy

and how they are delicate fragile flowers who must be coddled and pampered like the jewels of the animal kingdom.

Fucking hell. This is not the "foods my picky white ass passes judgement on" thread.

And yes, I just called you white.

I despise the food that comes prepackaged because the way it tastes makes me nauseous, unless it doesn't, and then I don't.  I refuse to eat any food that hasn't been on a stove and watched almost constantly for a period of no less than three hours, unless I don't, in which case I eat it as enthusiastically as if it had been. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:03:41 AM
I love how white people are super-into telling everyone about food they don't like or can't eat because the taste/texture/smell makes them feel sick.

Also how they are gluten and lactose intolerant and can't have certain vegetables because it makes them gassy

and how they are delicate fragile flowers who must be coddled and pampered like the jewels of the animal kingdom.

Fucking hell. This is not the "foods my picky white ass passes judgement on" thread.

I despise the food that comes prepackaged because the way it tastes makes me nauseous, unless it doesn't, and then I don't.  I refuse to eat any food that hasn't been on a stove and watched almost constantly for a period of no less than three hours, unless I don't, in which case I eat it as enthusiastically as if it had been.  

OK, you have me there. Hyper-processed food is nasty and bad for you, though if you're starving anything tastes pretty damn good. I'm not sure a distaste for nutritionally bankrupt overprocessed food really counts as "picky", though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

I despise the food that comes prepackaged because the way it tastes makes me nauseous, unless it doesn't, and then I don't.  I refuse to eat any food that hasn't been on a stove and watched almost constantly for a period of no less than three hours, unless I don't, in which case I eat it as enthusiastically as if it had been.  

OK, you have me there. Hyper-processed food is nasty and bad for you, though if you're starving anything tastes pretty damn good. I'm not sure a distaste for nutritionally bankrupt overprocessed food really counts as "picky", though.

I was just being ridiculous. :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:48:16 AM

I might be excessively serious tonight.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 04:08:56 AM

I noticed. :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

I am going to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko54l8CNk5Y
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on September 16, 2011, 05:47:27 AM

I am going to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko54l8CNk5Y

:lulz:

Juana

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 15, 2011, 11:18:23 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 15, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
What Twid said. I also don't think there's a problem with having preferences or not liking something because of texture or similar.

Of course you don't, cracker. :lulz:
Don't you deal with that sort of thing for a living?

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 16, 2011, 01:42:33 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 15, 2011, 12:41:08 AM
I drink yerba mate because coffee does terrible things to my stomach. Shoe Ears and family refer to it as "horse tea" because it has a grassy element to the flavor.

Thanks for posting that link. I had been meaning to look up what maté is because its constantly mentioned in the fiction of Jorge Luis Borges, and your post reminded me.
'Welcome. It's quite good but the flavor can in, in some cases, depending on where you get it, an acquired taste. Buy it in bulk on Amazon, because stores will charge you an arm and a leg or two for a couple ounces.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 16, 2011, 10:13:16 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 15, 2011, 11:18:23 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 15, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
What Twid said. I also don't think there's a problem with having preferences or not liking something because of texture or similar.

Of course you don't, cracker. :lulz:
Don't you deal with that sort of thing for a living?

Not anymore! Now my menu consists of two choices: take it or leave it.

And before, when I was subjected to the indignities of running a restaurant kitchen, most of the front of the house staff new better than to come to me with requests based on pickiness as my usual response would be something along the lines of "well if they can't find anything on the fucking menu that they fucking like, maybe they should go the fuck somewhere else!"

This does not apply to actual allergies, I have all of the sensitivity in the world about that and will go way out of my way to be accommodating. But when someone wants this dish but without this or that component because they really just don't like those? Well fuck the fuck you, cocksmoker, either find a dish that your picky ass DOES like or go to fucking Wendy's.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Juana

I can understand that, I suppose. I usually just leave the bits I don't like on the plate, myself. More of that not being a princess about what I eat.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

See, and I have no problem AT ALL with that. Once the plate is in your hands, it's yours to do what you want with.

Anyway, I was just busting your balls. Cracker. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

That reminds me of my chef at the bistro I worked at.

You have an allergy? He will do whatever he can to give you something tasty without the killing component, because you genuinely want the dish.

You're picky and don't want a certain component because you don't like it? Stop backing up the line and GTFO.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Same, when I was working in a kitchen.  We'd grumble at allergies, but at the end of the day, what can you do? 

People just being overly picky, because they're "paying good money" (as opposed to bad money?) and expect to have their every minor whim catered to, on the other hand...  Fuck that shit.  You want the five star treatment, you start paying five star prices.

Luna

The only time I made a bigger deal than, "no mushrooms, please" was at the cafeteria at the university where I worked.  They had a stir fry thing, you pick your own food out, hand them the bowl, and they cook it for you.  I got my ooof back (chicken, snow pea pods, baby corncobs, warer chestnuts, I MISS that), and the kid managed to get both mushrooms and shrimp in there.

Fortunately, I had chopsticks, caught the mushrooms (and I can pick them out and be okay, the tiny traces I can cope with), but that's two things that are common to find people with issues about.

Next day, they had a sign up saying that if you have allergies, ask, and they'll use a pan on the big grill.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."