News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Wasted Potential.

Started by Scribbly, September 17, 2011, 02:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

When I was a kid, those words got written down a lot. If I just had more focus. If I'd play by the rules rather than twisting them to give myself more free time.

But I enjoyed my free time. I don't regret it, really. Sure, I had the potential to do better. But better doesn't mean happier. I coasted through school, and when I got to university, I spent most of my time enjoying myself and learning what I wanted to learn, rather than struggling as hard as I could to meet that potential.

Funny word, isn't it? Potential. When I look around today, now it is my turn to start railing about it.

Look at all these people, working so hard to stand still. Look at the world we're living in, choking itself to death for imaginary money with imaginary meaning. Look at the great works we've done in the past, and the great works that we can see the outlines of in the future. But we're not running to grab them. We're slowing down. Turning on each other, because it is easier to fall into old habits than to move beyond them and let go. Easier to focus on why we should be put before them. We know more about our own natures than we ever have before. We can look at what we are, and we can start to understand it...

Just look at all that potential. We know we could do so much better. We've spent so long imagining the different way things could be or should be. But it is so much easier to give in to how things are. Why bother? It'll just all get fucked up again in time. Isn't it more comforting to imagine that things can't change? Then, it isn't our fault for not trying.

Just go back to bed. Things will look better in the morning. One day closer to the grave.

Zzz.

I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:mittens:

I think that the problem is that we have the wrong ideas of potential.

The wrong values.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

:mittens:

The path of least resistance
downhill, down the drain
A well trodden, sodden path. 

I hope one day the idea of excellence for it's own sake catches on again.

Great post.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

I think our "society" does have the Wrong ValuesTM.

Loved this Demo Squid.