News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

INTERMITTENS 8: Self Reliance

Started by Shai Hulud, January 11, 2010, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shai Hulud

Cramulus

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 20, 2010, 08:42:15 PM
I like it, but unless we can know for sure that it isn't copyrighted then I don't think we ought to use it.
Perhaps a parody?

copyright shmopyright! It's an instructional image from 1951! and an ad for insurance to boot

(c) is probably owned by Mutual of Omahah, who are probably not lurking around the net looking to protect their 50 year old magazine ads from being reprinted. I say finders keepers! 
:pax:

I agree though that it should be edited / shopped / somehow re purposed. Chopping off that Mutual of Omaha ad at the bottom will go a long way to ensure nobody's gonna come knocking for royalties or something.

Royalties? for a free magazine? hah!

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Cramulus on January 20, 2010, 10:41:19 PM
copyright shmopyright! It's an instructional image from 1951! and an ad for insurance to boot

(c) is probably owned by Mutual of Omahah, who are probably not lurking around the net looking to protect their 50 year old magazine ads from being reprinted. I say finders keepers! 
:pax:

I agree though that it should be edited / shopped / somehow re purposed. Chopping off that Mutual of Omaha ad at the bottom will go a long way to ensure nobody's gonna come knocking for royalties or something.

You're right about chopping off the M of O stuff at the bottom, and repurposing the images with some new and humorous dialogue poking fun at the cold war era paranoia, with all new post-cold war paranoia.  I'll work on this.

Quote from: Cramulus on January 20, 2010, 10:41:19 PM
Royalties? for a free magazine? hah!

Yeah, I'd like to see em try to squeeze some blood from that turnip!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Shai Hulud

I'm just telling myself they took a chicken noodle casserole and substituted the word human.  Sounds disturbingly delicious.

Are you the author Enki?  Otherwise do we have permission from Lori Gleason?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 22, 2010, 01:53:42 AM
I'm just telling myself they took a chicken noodle casserole and substituted the word human.  Sounds disturbingly delicious.
I did.

Are you the author Enki?  Otherwise do we have permission from Lori Gleason?
It's protected as parody. If you want to cover our collective asses, change the names (Gori Lleason, for instance, or Glory Lesion).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 22, 2010, 02:48:47 AM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 22, 2010, 01:53:42 AM
I'm just telling myself they took a chicken noodle casserole and substituted the word human.  Sounds disturbingly delicious.
I did.

Are you the author Enki?  Otherwise do we have permission from Lori Gleason?
It's protected as parody. If you want to cover our collective asses, change the names (Gori Lleason, for instance, or Glory Lesion).

I'm gonna say nay on this, unless you can get permission.  Or better yet rewrite it in your own words, and attribute an postapocalyptic backstory to it or something.  

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Alright. I'll probably stick to the poster, then.

Shai Hulud

Ok, I'm going to be aiming at releasing this issue of Intermittens either before or on Valentine's Day, depending on how long layouts take.  So I want to make a deadline of January 31 for submissions (although I am flexible, if you have a great idea and need a little more time just msg me and we'll work on it on a case by case basis).  Other than that, thanks to everybody who has submitted stuff or given me permission to use stuff, you are all awesome!   

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 22, 2010, 02:28:22 PM
Alright. I'll probably stick to the poster, then.

Cool, just msg me if there is anything I can do to assist.

Ratssinis

Just curious, but exactly how much material do you have currently for intermittens 8?

Cain

I need to make minor edits to my piece you want, Guy.  I'll let you know when they're done, though I'll try to complete them by tomorrow evening if possible.

Shai Hulud

@Cain, thanks that sounds great, just send me a msg or an e-mail whenever you've got it done.  By the way, would you mind if I included five or six of your Rules for Life, to use as a recurring "Cain's Rules for Life" piece throughout the issue?

@Ratssinis, thats a good question, so far between material that has been submitted specifically (in hand) and permissions I've gotten for previously written material, I've got a grand total of:

Stories/Articles
The Parable of Steve and the [untitled story] Apocalist (plus illustration), by Nigel
The Voice and the Void, by Xila [Reyna Perucca]
What it Means to be a Self-Reliant American in 2010-20XX, by dimo
The Year of the Rat (#TBD), by TGRR
The Crazy Prepared Series, by Richter
[The Fascist Virus, The Deep State by Cain]

Graphics/Comics
Dystopic Deedee, by Effigy Power
Prof. Peculiar, by Vonny Nasamoto
Nuclear Holocaust Instructions by The Ratssinis
And also, I have permission to use illustrations by Cramulus, Hoopla and Lysergic, and possibly the nuclear parody by Enki.

I am also waiting on content/permissions from a few other people.  I don't want to use anything without specific permission, even off the free content threads, so if I can't get a hold of somebody for permission I won't be using it.

It seems like it's looking pretty good for now, although I'm still hoping to get a couple more fiction/articles.  I'm pretty set for illustrations and such, if it turns out I don't have enough to pad the issue there is tons of public domain stuff out there.  Although if anybody wants to submit more of those there is plenty of room.

I'm still planning to get it out by Valentine's Day, but if you've got a great story that's going to take just a bit longer to finish, let me know and I'll be happy to work with you.

Cramulus

Cain

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 28, 2010, 08:32:55 PM
@Cain, thanks that sounds great, just send me a msg or an e-mail whenever you've got it done.  By the way, would you mind if I included five or six of your Rules for Life, to use as a recurring "Cain's Rules for Life" piece throughout the issue?

I only made minor edits to the post itself, so you should be able to cut and paste it from the OKM posting again.  I clarified a few points and changed some words in places, it was very minor repair work.  And that second bit sounds like an excellent idea, I say go for it.

Shai Hulud

Thanks Cain, I will make sure to use the most recent version from the thread.

Quote from: Cramulus on January 28, 2010, 10:24:46 PM
"Both crazy and prepared"

Awesome, Cramulus, this is going to work great as an illustration for one of Richter's pieces.