News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Corn syrup: bad or just evil?

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 15, 2008, 01:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

Anyway, I have a recipe for havregrynskage that calls for 1/4 c corn syrup.  Would molasses be a good alternative?  Also a little more proper, perhaps? 

Then it would be more like granola cakes.  Holy crap I am a genius.   :fap:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Havregrynskage

1 stick (8 tblspoons) butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup corn syrup (OR??)

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugar, don't let anything burn okay?  Then dump in the oatmeal, cook until golden brown (5-10 minutes).  Remove from heat, add mystery sticky stuff.  Pack into muffin pans.  Chill.

I've had good results throwing on a little jam or chocolate before they're fully cooled, for extra tasty.  Probably very good with vanilla ice cream.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

East Coast Hustle

regular corn syrup is fine. It's high-fructose corn syrup that's abnormally bad for you.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BADGE OF HONOR

Ohhhhh...yeah. 

Still, in the interest of argument, honey or molasses would still work yes?

Suu

I'm thinking with molasses and cinnamon you'll get like a giant oatmeal cookie.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BADGE OF HONOR

:fap:

I'm hoping that muffin papers will work because I'm tired to washing my tins out.  If not, paper is edible...

Sepia

Havregrynskage? Hailing from somewhere in scandinavia..?
Everyone will always be too late

Suu

She has a Scandinavian cookbook and wanted to try things out.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Darth Cupcake

I must try this. Especially with the molasses idea.

ZOMG I love molasses.

MUST COOK.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I don't know if I'd use molasses.
It is a completely different thing than white corn syrup.

May turn out too bitter/heavy

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on September 15, 2008, 02:22:11 PM

cannot be more than 12 pages, including table of contents and index.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 16, 2008, 02:46:33 PM
Quote from: Suu on September 15, 2008, 02:22:11 PM

cannot be more than 12 pages, including table of contents and index.

There's an entire chapter about aquavit.  Maybe later I'll pull some good quotes.