News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2012, 06:27:14 PM
Polish assassination plot foiled

http://news.sky.com/story/1014078/poland-foils-bomb-plot-on-president-and-pm

QuoteMr Tusk described him as being "fascinated by Breivik", referring to mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, a far-right fanatic who massacred 77 people in a bombing and shooting frenzy in Norway in July last year.

"In Norway nobody had imagined they had a Breivik in their midst," he added.

In a statement, prosecutors said the suspect was "motivated by his negative view of the current socio-economic situation and felt radical measures were needed to change it".

Mariusz Krason, the lead prosecutor, told journalists the suspect believed that "foreign powers exercised power in Poland rather than real Poles".

The man has no links to political or terror groups but is believed to have been motivated by nationalist, xenophobic anti-Semitic beliefs and was found to be in possession of TNT, gunpowder and other explosives

More information:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/mimicking-breivik-poland?utm_source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20121129&utm_term=sweekly&utm_content=readmore&elq=1d3ff153ec004bbaa2511d8c9bbb2df9

QuoteKwiecien allegedly considered Breivik's vehicle-borne improvised explosive device attack on Norway's parliament building a failure -- Breivik's killed only eight people and failed to inflict structural damage on the building. Breivik used 1 metric ton of ammonium nitrate-based explosives, commonly called ANFO, or ammonium nitrate fuel oil, and parked his vehicle on the street, putting some distance between the VBIED and the building. Kwiecien intended to construct an explosive device using 4 metric tons of ANFO inside a tanker truck, crash through the gates of the parliament building and detonate the VBIED within the courtyard. Investigators believe that it would have been a suicide mission. Had he executed his attack successfully, he likely would have created a blast big enough to cause significant structural damage and loss of life, resulting in more damage and more deaths than Breivik's explosive device.

According to authorities, Kwiecien began planning for the attack between July and September. He apparently had traveled to Warsaw to surveil the area surrounding the building. The fact that there is fairly light security at the entrance to the parliament building may have encouraged Kwiecien to go forward with his plot.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

THE ENTIRE GOVERNMENT.

Holy fuck!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/12/17/121217fa_fact_khatchadourian?currentPage=all

QuoteColonel James S. Ketchum dreamed of war without killing. He joined the Army in 1956 and left it in 1976, and in that time he did not fight in Vietnam; he did not invade the Bay of Pigs; he did not guard Western Europe with tanks, or help build nuclear launch sites beneath the Arctic ice. Instead, he became the military's leading expert in a secret Cold War experiment: to fight enemies with clouds of psychochemicals that temporarily incapacitate the mind—causing, in the words of one ranking officer, a "selective malfunctioning of the human machine.

While not "news" as such, it appeared in my newsfeed. Interesting piece regarding the origins of Chemical warfare post WW2.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Elder Iptuous

interesting read, Junkenstein.
thanks.  :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 11, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/12/17/121217fa_fact_khatchadourian?currentPage=all

QuoteColonel James S. Ketchum dreamed of war without killing. He joined the Army in 1956 and left it in 1976, and in that time he did not fight in Vietnam; he did not invade the Bay of Pigs; he did not guard Western Europe with tanks, or help build nuclear launch sites beneath the Arctic ice. Instead, he became the military's leading expert in a secret Cold War experiment: to fight enemies with clouds of psychochemicals that temporarily incapacitate the mind—causing, in the words of one ranking officer, a "selective malfunctioning of the human machine.

While not "news" as such, it appeared in my newsfeed. Interesting piece regarding the origins of Chemical warfare post WW2.

Yeah, he was tied up in the whole BZ thing...Which, incidentally, led directly to benzodiazapam, which I take to go to sleep.

So I have that going for me.  Goon-Goon-Galoonga.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sita

:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on December 11, 2012, 08:06:20 PM
Might want to think twice about that conversation on the bus.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12/public-bus-audio-surveillance/

Or think about ramping it up.   :lulz:

TGRR,
An hero, doesn't afraid of nothing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

You know, I have to wonder what kind of people the government hires, that want to listen in on day-to-day conversations.

LMNO

20-somethings that were raised on the proper government training tools: The Real World, The Hills, The Real Housewives, and the various Kardashian "reality" shows.

Cain

Ketchum is cool, but not as cool as the people who came up with a plan to BLOW UP THE MOON to one-up the Soviets.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/us-military-chiefs-planned-to-blow-up-the-moon-with-nuclear-bomb-as-show-of-cold-war-muscle-physicist-claims-8364114.html

Yes, this was a real plan, it would seem:

US Military chiefs, keen to intimidate Russia during the Cold War, plotted to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb, according to project documents kept secret for for nearly 45 years.

The army chiefs allegedly developed a top-secret project called, 'A Study of Lunar Research Flights' – or 'Project A119', in the hope that their Soviet rivals would be intimidated by a display of America's Cold War muscle.

According to The Sun newspaper the military bosses developed a classified plan to launch a nuclear weapon 238,000 miles to the moon where it would be detonated upon impact.

The planners reportedly opted for an atom bomb, rather than a hydrogen bomb, because the latter would be too heavy for the missile.

Physicist Leonard Reiffel, who says he was involved in the project, claims the hope was that the flash from the bomb would intimidate the Russians following their successful launching of the Sputnik satellite in October 1957.

Alexander Abian, thou art avenged!

LMNO

Cain

Internet lawl.  It's like internet lore, only more funny.

Junkenstein

Speaking of funny:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20660791

Wife of Nigerian Finance minister kidnapped. He can't even e-mail anyone for help really.

And some guy wants to kick Richard Branson in the balls
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20676667

An unusual bet. One can but hope they both loose and have to kick each other.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 11, 2012, 09:17:45 PM
Speaking of funny:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20660791

Wife of Nigerian Finance minister kidnapped. He can't even e-mail anyone for help really.

Odd, I didn't find it  funny at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."