OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2015, 05:43:45 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 16, 2015, 05:40:03 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2015, 05:30:30 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 16, 2015, 05:29:43 PM
I had one Facebook Champion tell me that we don't need more resources for victims, we just need to execute perpetrators.

It's not about helping people, for them. It's just an excuse to advocate for killing people. They's probably be just as happy to advocate for killing the victims, too. These are the same kind of people who stone rape victims because, you know, they're ruined anyway.

Yep.  Remember BH's drivel here?

ew ew ew

That was literally the most fucked up thing I've ever heard anyone say. I've heard some fucked up shit but that absolutely took the cake. I find it monstrous and inconceivable how anyone could say something like that about their own child.

What he was really saying was that he hoped the kid died so he didn't have to deal with things.

He's a horrible person.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 16, 2015, 05:44:52 PM
I had one Facebook Champion tell me that we don't need more resources for victims, we just need to execute perpetrators.

It's not about helping people, for them. It's just an excuse to advocate for killing people. They's probably be just as happy to advocate for killing the victims, too. These are the same kind of people who stone rape victims because, you know, they're ruined anyway.

ew ew ew

That was literally the most fucked up thing I've ever heard anyone say. I've heard some fucked up shit but that absolutely took the cake. I find it monstrous and inconceivable how anyone could say something like that about their own child.

What he was really saying was that he hoped the kid died so he didn't have to deal with things.

He's a horrible person.

He still occasionally PMs me, begging to be allowed back on PD.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2015, 04:21:10 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on March 16, 2015, 04:19:48 PM
Cain,  my condolences.

Though I have to agree with them on one point: Pointing out the gender of the staff member in danger of being gang-raped was not very politically correct of you.

I thought of a question for PD: Is having your gender ignored as annoying as having your race ignored? i.e. when gender is falsely ignored as a factor do you feel like they are ignoring part of who you are?

... This is going to be one of those typical raging PD discussions isn't it?

Having your person ignored for any reason is bad.  People who do it are bad people.
Well said.
I can't think of a single argument as compelling as that one.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2015, 05:45:25 PM

ew ew ew

He's a horrible person.

Oh FFS. He really is just pathetic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 16, 2015, 04:44:13 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on March 15, 2015, 03:42:39 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 15, 2015, 03:19:27 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on March 15, 2015, 01:14:20 AM
Went on the state career development website and filled out all the information on my skills/degree, and took the surveys on my likes/dislikes and personality. Website conveniently cross-references all this information to find what jobs I'm most suited for. Turns out it's NOTHING

Which means, of course, that I'm an ideal candidate for homelessness... except for the fact that I'm not really an outdoors-y person.

Have you ever signed on with a temp agency? Even done just to establish a work history and get into the swing of things it is quite instructive. Employment is mostly a matter of dedicating yourself and establishing a record and reputation. The rest is about being willing and able to flex to accommodate the goal. This may mean relocation if opportunity is scarce where you are.

About 3 years ago I relocated from southeastern Wisconsin to western and it's been a very difficult and rewarding experience. If you're unsure what you want to do or are suited for just do everything until you find what you like.

Best fortune to you!

Thanks. I'm not too worried about finding something, I'm actually fairly employable for a lot of $12/hr jobs, but, you know, I didn't go to college to make $12/hr.

I'm still hopeful I'll get the industrial maintenance / automation job through the temp agency I applied through. There's a decent amount of work in my area and in my field, but hardly any of it is entry level. If I had 3 years experience, I'd probably be having much better luck.

I have a bachelor's in Engineering Technology (from 5 years ago), but it seems companies are more interested in experience than degrees in that field.

This is basically always true of everything. It's also why a college degree is virtually worthless if you don't take internships or volunteer in your field.

Yeah, I dun goofed on that. I did a student project for 3 semesters and thought that would be good enough. Oops.

Not sure what kind of volunteer works exists in my field, really. Working with homeless robots? I have a meeting with a state career counselor tomorrow, hopefully that will give me more of a sense of direction.
Formerly something else...

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2015, 05:45:25 PM

ew ew ew

He's a horrible person.

:vom:

That dude has a certain disgusting apathy that makes me wonder what really qualifies as 'too human to dispose of'. Not to glorify death as seen above ITT, but it can have a certain appeal as a cleanser.
:evilmad:

TWJ - often feels held back only by the hand of God and Grandma in alphabetical order.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Demolition Squid

I heard Bryan Stevenson on Desert Island Discs over the weekend and he claimed that they have found 1/10 death sentences carried out in the US to be incorrect after the fact. He made the argument that, leaving aside any moral case for or against, surely any sane person would agree that a 1/10 chance of killing an innocent person is too high to be justified under any circumstances.

There was a ton of other frightening prison stats he pulled out over the course of the show, and listening to his description of work trying to help kids who wind up in prison was genuinely heartbreaking.

I was horrified to hear that until fairly recently, there were states where it was compulsory for judges to hand down life in prison with no chance of parole to kids for some crimes.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on March 16, 2015, 10:56:35 PM

I heard Bryan Stevenson on Desert Island Discs over the weekend and he claimed that they have found 1/10 death sentences carried out in the US to be incorrect after the fact. He made the argument that, leaving aside any moral case for or against, surely any sane person would agree that a 1/10 chance of killing an innocent person is too high to be justified under any circumstances.

There was a ton of other frightening prison stats he pulled out over the course of the show, and listening to his description of work trying to help kids who wind up in prison was genuinely heartbreaking.

I was horrified to hear that until fairly recently, there were states where it was compulsory for judges to hand down life in prison with no chance of parole to kids for some crimes.

The US penal system is a bit of a travesty. Mandatory minimum sentencing kind of defeats the whole point of having judges in the first place, given that they are supposed to be able to use their judgment to judge things. If a person can be kept out of prison, they should be, especially for nonviolent crimes; our prison system takes smalltime criminals and ensures that they will become worse. There is no attempt at rehabilitation.

Are you familiar with The Innocence Project? http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Demolition Squid

Eater of Clowns

There was also the issue with ineffective lethal injections keeping people alive. The conversation somehow turned from is capital punishment even justifiable to how do we make more drugs for all the people we're killing.

I think it should be more efficient and humane for the accused and less pleasant to behold for the society that condones it.

So basically the guillotine.

Quote from: Victor HugoWe may be indifferent to the death penalty and not declare ourselves either way so long as we have not seen a guillotine with our own eyes. But when we do, the shock is violent, and we are compelled to choose sides, for or against. Some admire it: others execrate it. The guillotine is the law made concrete; it is called the Avenger. It is not neutral and does not permit you to remain neutral. Whoever sees it quakes, mysteriously shaken to the core. All social problems set up their question mark around that blade. The scaffold is vision. The scaffold is not a mere frame, the scaffold is not an inert mechanism made of wood, iron, and ropes. It seems like a creature with some dark origin we cannot fathom, it is as though the framework sees and hears, the mechanism understands, as though the wood and iron and ropes have their own will. In the hideous nightmare it projects across the soul, the awful apparition of the scaffold fuses with its terrible work. The scaffold becomes the accomplice of the executioner: it devours, eats flesh, and drinks blood. The scaffold is a sort of monster created by judge and carpenter. A specter that seems to live with an unspeakable vitality, drawn from all the death it has wrought.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 17, 2015, 10:49:04 AM
There was also the issue with ineffective lethal injections keeping people alive. The conversation somehow turned from is capital punishment even justifiable to how do we make more drugs for all the people we're killing.

I think it should be more efficient and humane for the accused and less pleasant to behold for the society that condones it.

Quote from: Victor HugoWe may be indifferent to the death penalty and not declare ourselves either way so long as we have not seen a guillotine with our own eyes. But when we do, the shock is violent, and we are compelled to choose sides, for or against. Some admire it: others execrate it. The guillotine is the law made concrete; it is called the Avenger. It is not neutral and does not permit you to remain neutral. Whoever sees it quakes, mysteriously shaken to the core. All social problems set up their question mark around that blade. The scaffold is vision. The scaffold is not a mere frame, the scaffold is not an inert mechanism made of wood, iron, and ropes. It seems like a creature with some dark origin we cannot fathom, it is as though the framework sees and hears, the mechanism understands, as though the wood and iron and ropes have their own will. In the hideous nightmare it projects across the soul, the awful apparition of the scaffold fuses with its terrible work. The scaffold becomes the accomplice of the executioner: it devours, eats flesh, and drinks blood. The scaffold is a sort of monster created by judge and carpenter. A specter that seems to live with an unspeakable vitality, drawn from all the death it has wrought.

THAT is a neat quote.

I hate to say this but an item born of monsterous intent and through which many souls pass just MAY have developed a spirit to it.

But let us not unscience things.

If a society is going to have capital punishment then it must serve the individual people not the 'society'. It must therefore be respectful no matter the crime and no spectacle at all. Not glamorous or an entertainment of the mob like the colosseum or even guillotine.

I wish I could envision a humanity healthy enough to not need the spectre of the fear of death to function. I count execution a great tragedy, for tragic crimes made.

The very moment it's a tool of politics it loses all justice. For this reason I think it must be totally dispensed with. If a criminal is somehow so dangerous and unwell that such a thing as cruel life in solitary confinement is the only alternative to execution then so be it. The state of things is not like this however.

If a revolt begins and people get stood against the wall I will find myself either among them or fighting the monster.

Jeezus great morning convo!  :lol:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Demolition Squid

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 17, 2015, 11:51:02 AM

THAT is a neat quote.

I hate to say this but an item born of monsterous intent and through which many souls pass just MAY have developed a spirit to it.

If a society is going to have capital punishment then it must serve the individual people not the 'society'. It must therefore be respectful no matter the crime and no spectacle at all. Not glamorous or an entertainment of the mob like the colosseum or even guillotine.

I wish I could envision a humanity healthy enough to not need the spectre of the fear of death to function. I count execution a great tragedy, for tragic crimes made.

The very moment it's a tool of politics it loses all justice. For this reason I think it must be totally dispensed with. If a criminal is somehow so dangerous and unwell that such a thing as cruel life in solitary confinement is the only alternative to execution then so be it. The state of things is not like this however.

If a revolt begins and people get stood against the wall I will find myself either among them or fighting the monster.

Why?

I am staunchly against the death penalty but, it does not have to serve the individual. In fact, the point of justice is not to serve the individual. It is to serve society. That's the entire point of the legal system.

Punishment is not for the benefit of the guilty or even the victim - it is supposed to serve as an example to others, this is why it isn't enough that justice is done - it has to be seen to be done. People have to know that when laws are broken, there are consequences, and those consequences are carried out.

The fact that this is not actually true in our current system does not invalidate the underlying logic. Punishment is more about being a deterrent to further crime than rectifying crimes that have been committed already - those have been done. You can't change the past, so it is pointless to try.

Rehabilitation programs in prisons serve a dual function here. Prison is an unpleasant place - just the fact of having your freedom curtailed so heavily should be a deterrent in itself, and rehabilitating prisoners helps to deter future crime.

But if you are going to have the death penalty, it should be put prominently on display. This serves two purposes in my view; you have the deterrent as outlined above. You also force people to look at what the government is doing on their behalf; condoning the death penalty whilst acknowledging it is too horrific to watch seems perverse to me. By tucking it off out of sight and out of mind, where nobody has to see or think about it, you allow this punishment to go largely unchallenged.

It is way too easy to turn things like this into sterile facts and numbers which hide the human cost. If there was a television channel broadcasting the executions, I expect the practice would end again very quickly.

That said, things seem to be trending in the right direction. There were 315 deaths in 1996 and 38 in 2013. I just think it is hypocritical - and directly contradicts whatever small amount of worth there might be in these deaths - to hide them away rather than shine a spotlight on them.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Demolition Squid on March 17, 2015, 12:07:10 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 17, 2015, 11:51:02 AM

THAT is a neat quote.

Why?

I am staunchly against the death penalty but, it does not have to serve the individual. In fact, the point of justice is not to serve the individual. It is to serve society. That's the entire point of the legal system.

Punishment is not for the benefit of the guilty or even the victim - it is supposed to serve as an example to others, this is why it isn't enough that justice is done - it has to be seen to be done. People have to know that when laws are broken, there are consequences, and those consequences are carried out.

The fact that this is not actually true in our current system does not invalidate the underlying logic. Punishment is more about being a deterrent to further crime than rectifying crimes that have been committed already - those have been done. You can't change the past, so it is pointless to try.

Rehabilitation programs in prisons serve a dual function here. Prison is an unpleasant place - just the fact of having your freedom curtailed so heavily should be a deterrent in itself, and rehabilitating prisoners helps to deter future crime.

But if you are going to have the death penalty, it should be put prominently on display. This serves two purposes in my view; you have the deterrent as outlined above. You also force people to look at what the government is doing on their behalf; condoning the death penalty whilst acknowledging it is too horrific to watch seems perverse to me. By tucking it off out of sight and out of mind, where nobody has to see or think about it, you allow this punishment to go largely unchallenged.

It is way too easy to turn things like this into sterile facts and numbers which hide the human cost. If there was a television channel broadcasting the executions, I expect the practice would end again very quickly.

That said, things seem to be trending in the right direction. There were 315 deaths in 1996 and 38 in 2013. I just think it is hypocritical - and directly contradicts whatever small amount of worth there might be in these deaths - to hide them away rather than shine a spotlight on them.

If execution is to be made a display as a social deterrent where do we draw the line?

Rome? They knew just how to decorate all the way to the capitol.
Imitators kept up THAT method of sending a deterrent message until not so very long ago. Fuck, the Kahns innovated on it by just putting you on a spike up your butt.

History puts the line pretty effing far from where we are now. I REALLY HOPE we never go back there again, but the social niceties are known to fold when monkeys start doing that thing they do.

I too want an end to the death penalty, to be clear, because I hope we can outgrow the need and be adults that understand how we're all in this together.

THAT needs to be the social message, not "do this and we'll put you down". That very quickly turns into "do this OR we'll put you down". If someone is to be executed making any display invites social manipulation of the practice.

That how I'm thinking about it anyway.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Eater of Clowns

The argument about the guillotine is that if they're looking for a painless method of effective execution on the grounds that otherwise it's inhumane, the guillotine is the solution for that problem. So it's not about drawing the line here or there or using spikes or hanging, it's about using the guillotine. And when you use the guillotine it offers no nice little illusion that the bad guy goes to sleep and everything is okay again. You see what you are, through your government's actions. You see that there is no less barbaric method of execution - execution itself is barbaric.

Also nobody is actually proposing the guillotine, dude.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Reginald Ret

QuoteIf execution is to be made a display as a social deterrent where do we draw the line?
As a deterrent for criminals it won't work.
As a deterrent for using the death penalty it would work.
So IF you are going to do it, do it publicly and disgustingly messy and preferably painless. i.e. guillotine.
It would keep people motivated to keep their society just and fair, at least up to the point where they don't fucking kill people politely.

I underlined the conditional part of my post because conditions tend to be overlooked.

edit: EoC said it better.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"