News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Moments where your government managed to embarrass even YOU.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 18, 2008, 06:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

OK, incidents I can remember.

UK: 

Our government built up its case for the Iraq war on a 10 year old MA thesis they stole off the internet.

MI5 followed the 7/7 bombers for months, apparently decided that they weren't a threat, let them kill 50+ people and the government decided this is not worth an enquiry.

According to the SCOPA Law, wearing LOLCAT t-shirts outside Parliament is a form of political protest that can result in arrests without police permission being obtained for such a protest.

The wholesale pandering to the Daily Mail and Sun newspaper editorials when it comes to policy on law and order and immigration.

Our government trying to defend the actions of successive governments in ethnically cleansing the population of Diego Garcia to make way for a US airbase, and attempting to defeat rulings that the action was unlawful.

Providing support for CIA rendition flights.

Our government cravenly backing down from the BAE corruption investigation after the Saudi Arabian government threatened our civilian population with "more 7/7's" should the investigation continue.

Australia:

Little Johnny Howard, ex-Prime Minister crowing about Australia's capture of the entire Iraqi Air Force (which had taken no part in the war, was mostly stolen by Iran in 1991 and was actually found by an Iraqi who led Australian troops there).

The Cronulla beach riots being written off by Little Johnny Howard as a result of "drinking", totally dismissing the racist element of the Australia First party and skinheads who helped initiate the violence.

Little Johnny Howard accusing immigrants of throwing their children off of a boat, then refusing to apologize.

Attacking Kevin Rudd for issuing a government apology to the Stolen Generations of Aborigines who were taken from their parents (often for nothing more than racist reasons) by government agents.

The Liberal party handing out fake leaflets from an invented Islamic organization saying that Labor supported the Bali suicide bombers.

The Liberal government being prepared to deport 43 Papua New Guinean asylum seekers, who faced death at the hands of genocideal Indnonesian backed death squads if they returned.

Adios

Gitmo.

Waterboarding.

The Patriot Act.

Homeland Security.

New Orleans.

Declaring victory in Iraq.

Every time Bush steps up to a microphone.

Donald Rumsfeld.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Vene

Just turn on any news station, odds are good anything they report makes me facepalm.  With the occasional lulz.

Lies

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2008, 11:19:28 AM
OK, incidents I can remember.

UK: 

Our government built up its case for the Iraq war on a 10 year old MA thesis they stole off the internet.

MI5 followed the 7/7 bombers for months, apparently decided that they weren't a threat, let them kill 50+ people and the government decided this is not worth an enquiry.

According to the SCOPA Law, wearing LOLCAT t-shirts outside Parliament is a form of political protest that can result in arrests without police permission being obtained for such a protest.

The wholesale pandering to the Daily Mail and Sun newspaper editorials when it comes to policy on law and order and immigration.

Our government trying to defend the actions of successive governments in ethnically cleansing the population of Diego Garcia to make way for a US airbase, and attempting to defeat rulings that the action was unlawful.

Providing support for CIA rendition flights.

Our government cravenly backing down from the BAE corruption investigation after the Saudi Arabian government threatened our civilian population with "more 7/7's" should the investigation continue.

Australia:

Little Johnny Howard, ex-Prime Minister crowing about Australia's capture of the entire Iraqi Air Force (which had taken no part in the war, was mostly stolen by Iran in 1991 and was actually found by an Iraqi who led Australian troops there).

The Cronulla beach riots being written off by Little Johnny Howard as a result of "drinking", totally dismissing the racist element of the Australia First party and skinheads who helped initiate the violence.

Little Johnny Howard accusing immigrants of throwing their children off of a boat, then refusing to apologize.

Attacking Kevin Rudd for issuing a government apology to the Stolen Generations of Aborigines who were taken from their parents (often for nothing more than racist reasons) by government agents.

The Liberal party handing out fake leaflets from an invented Islamic organization saying that Labor supported the Bali suicide bombers.

The Liberal government being prepared to deport 43 Papua New Guinean asylum seekers, who faced death at the hands of genocideal Indnonesian backed death squads if they returned.

Oh man, you nailed a lot of the good ones Cain, how the fuck am I supposed to add anything now?
I'm just waiting for Labour to fuck up something I sort of care about so I'll have the right to bitch about them too...
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

LMNO

Thurnez Isa

BY PUTTING HOMELESS PEOPLE IN PRISON, WE'RE GIVING THEM A PLACE TO LIVE
/
/
/
/
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on May 19, 2008, 02:06:31 PM
Gitmo.

Waterboarding.

The Patriot Act.

Homeland Security.

New Orleans.

Declaring victory in Iraq.

Every time Bush steps up to a microphone.

Donald Rumsfeld.

War on Terror

Jeff Gannon

Alberto Gonzalez

Domestic Wiretapping

Swift-Boating

And of course, this.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

e

:lulz:

AND WHAT ABOUT MARGARET THATCHER?!

Random Probability

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on May 18, 2008, 08:22:01 PM
Quote from: Dysnomia on May 18, 2008, 07:55:24 PM
plz to stay on topic...give Canadian Genocide examples worm

I poisoned an ant mound once

Murderer!

(oddly this coincides with my plans for PETA in the very near future)

Cain

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 19, 2008, 05:52:46 PM

Fortunately I was in the UK just as John Major was put into power.

And Lys, I'm sure you'll think of something.  I mean, come on, its Johnny Howard.  The man's pure scum, I'm only going by what I remember, you actually had to live under him.

Mangrove

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 19, 2008, 05:52:46 PM

Maggie - best buddies with General "oops where did all those citizens disappear to?" Pinochet
Sided with the US in backing of Saddam Hussein during the 80s.
Running the country's infrastructure into the ground through privatization (that worked really well for the phone companies but for no one else)

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

hooplala

Mine was when Chretien took a cream pie to the face and then got MAD about it... if he had just laughed.... if... eh...  :|
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

wade

REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: 221 on May 20, 2008, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 19, 2008, 05:45:40 PM

And of course, this.