News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

The Fourth Amendment makes a comeback...

Started by LMNO, June 26, 2009, 12:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2009, 10:42:05 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 26, 2009, 03:51:27 PM
Strip-searches of children are fucking unreal. I'm glad the court ruled it unconstitutional.

And, I mean, fucking IBUPROFEN. I can't believe a girl can't even carry a packet of Midol around anymore. Schools need to stop "protecting" kids and get back to teaching them.

They're protecting themselves.  From lawsuits.

That's what the zero tolerance shit is all about.

And how's that working for you, administrators?   :lulz:

Which makes absolutely zero sense.  To start with, zero tolerance rules aren't allowed if a school accepts federal money.  (Knowing this is an easy way out of an expulsion in my experience).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia on June 28, 2009, 04:13:11 AM
Strip-searches of children are fucking unreal. I'm glad the court ruled it unconstitutional.

And, I mean, fucking IBUPROFEN. I can't believe a girl can't even carry a packet of Midol around anymore. Schools need to stop "protecting" kids and get back to teaching them.

Which makes absolutely zero sense.  To start with, zero tolerance rules aren't allowed if a school accepts federal money.  (Knowing this is an easy way out of an expulsion in my experience).

What is the connection between federal monies and lawsuits? I don't get it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

They're protecting themselves.  From lawsuits.

And how's that working for you, administrators?   :lulz:

Which makes absolutely zero sense.  To start with, zero tolerance rules aren't allowed if a school accepts federal money.  (Knowing this is an easy way out of an expulsion in my experience).

Really?  How recently was that implemented?

GA,
got into serious shit with zero-tolerance in the sixth grade at a public school.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

QuoteWhat is the connection between federal monies and lawsuits? I don't get it.

With lawsuits? none, but legal liability and financial damages plenty.

QuoteReally?  How recently was that implemented?

Not sure, this came up oh... 8 years ago in Utah when they tried to institute statewide zero tolerance rules and the teachers union *freaked* because of the potential loss of funding.  So at least that long.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia on June 28, 2009, 09:45:43 AM
QuoteWhat is the connection between federal monies and lawsuits? I don't get it.

With lawsuits? none, but legal liability and financial damages plenty.

That's kind of a disconnect from Roger's statement, though.

Also, you have the zero-tolerance/federal funding  thing backward. All 50 states adopted zero-tolerance policies in 1994 in order to safeguard their federal funding.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

What the fuck are you talking about?  I'm talking liability, and you're talking federal funding.

And link to zero tolerance rules canceling title I funding? 

"absolutely zero sense".  Fuck.  Sober up and try again.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.