News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Douglas Adams (hgttg excerpt) on politics

Started by Ascoe, January 09, 2010, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 09, 2010, 05:27:28 PM
what is your fucking point?

it's kind of similar to that Simpsons Halloween episode, where those two aliens shapeshift into two politicians with identical viewpoints and run for presidency and then they get unmasked, but they say "HA HA YOU CANNOT WIN, IT IS A TWO PARTY SYSTEM"

(and in the epilogue humanity is enslaved and Homer says "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!!")
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Ascoe

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 09, 2010, 10:51:38 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 09, 2010, 05:27:28 PM
what is your fucking point?

it's kind of similar to that Simpsons Halloween episode, where those two aliens shapeshift into two politicians with identical viewpoints and run for presidency and then they get unmasked, but they say "HA HA YOU CANNOT WIN, IT IS A TWO PARTY SYSTEM"

(and in the epilogue humanity is enslaved and Homer says "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!!")

Still one of the best critiques of politics I've ever seen.

"We'll vote for a third party candidate!"

"Go ahead - THROW YOUR VOTE AWAY!"
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Thats only really a critique of the first past the post system of voting, which does tend to end up in a two party system (there is actually a law describing this, only I cannot remember the name).  Under most forms of proportional representation, such as Germany and Israel, such votes are not wasted at all, since they count to the overall party tally and how many seats they can claim.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on January 10, 2010, 02:46:55 AM
Thats only really a critique of the first past the post system of voting, which does tend to end up in a two party system (there is actually a law describing this, only I cannot remember the name).  Under most forms of proportional representation, such as Germany and Israel, such votes are not wasted at all, since they count to the overall party tally and how many seats they can claim.

Wait, so all political systems aren't exactly like American politics?

EoC (ToG),
Dumbfounded.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am not usually the nice guy, so you can blame the swine flu (even though I'm over it)

But I just saw that as being a newbie posting something he saw as a relevant snippet of literature about the two-party system.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

yeah, to clarify, I LOVE HHGttG and wasn't slamming it at all, just the tendency of pinealist yahoos to include it in their pantheon of things that make them OH SO FUCKING WACKY, which as you said makes little sense given it's got fuck-all to do with pinealist drivel.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on January 10, 2010, 05:43:31 PM
I can gather from your op that you are not a fan of democracy (or lizards?)?

Maybe he's a fan of David Icke?

Ascoe

I'd recommend reading the title of the thread so you know that you don't want to read it

:rbtg:

anyway, i vote democrat partially because i'm against killing, war, and making money off of killing and war.

Never read any david icke... :mrgreen:

Nast

Quote from: Ascoe on January 11, 2010, 04:37:44 AM

anyway, i vote democrat partially because i'm against killing, war, and making money off of killing and war.

Whoops
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Johnny

Quote from: Ascoe on January 11, 2010, 04:37:44 AM
I'd recommend reading the title of the thread so you know that you don't want to read it

:rbtg:

Never read any david icke... :mrgreen:

Yea, now im sure to know what to expect of topics you start.

Nice grasp you have there on politics.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

I DEMAND MORE MACARONI PICTURES AND SERIOUS POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS ON INTERNET FORUMS

Ascoe

(image bomb removed - ECH)

Ascoe

(image bomb removed - ECH)