News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo!

Started by Darth Cupcake, October 26, 2007, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Are any of you other creative types out there going to be partaking of the deliciousness that is NaNoWriMo this year? For those in the Boston area, it looks like there's going to be some really snazzy write-in events, and most likely booze. And really, is there any way to lose when it comes to the combo of bad writing and alcohol? Nevar!

(For those not in the know: NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) is National Novel Writing Month. From 12:01 am (or 00h01, if you like it like that) November 1 to 11:59 pm (or 23h59, as it were) November 30, you write a 50,000 word novel. This is quantity, not quality. It's boatloads of fun! I've been doing it for years and highly recommend it.)
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I made it to like 7000 words last time and gave up.  My sister has been asking me if I'm gonna do it this time, I really haven't decided.  It's 50,000 words this time? :eek:

Damn.  Good luck with that!

Darth Cupcake

It's always been 50k. My first year I only made it to about 7k or 12k. Usually I drop out around 35k or 40k, but I've actually finished twice. I'm determined to do it this year, now that I no longer have the excuse of school. It's actually not that hard as long as you make yourself take the time to write. I have written some truly, epically crappy fiction, but it's a rollicking good time and you get to hang out with crazy people in coffeehouses, drinking dangerous quantities of coffee and generally weirding out the clientèle with your appearance of tottering on the brink of insanity. I really do it for the glamour and the coffee as opposed to the writing. :wink:

Cain

Not this year.  I've already got 20K words to do without this adding to my pile.

Assuming I'm not rotting in some makeshift jungle prison, I will do it next year, for certain.

AFK

can someone give me a rough estimate as to how many pages 50,000 words takes up in say Microsoft Word?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Darth Cupcake

I do not currently have access to my last 50k debacle, but I want to say somewhere around 60 or 70 pages in the land of single spaced, 12pt, Times New Roman. If I remember, I will confirm this when I get home tonight.

AFK

ugh, then I think I can safely say I won't be able to pull that off.  I know after I have to type 30+ page reports I don't want to go anywhere near a wordprocessor for weeks. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

I'm gonna do it!

I'll be in COSTA RICA for the first week of November. So I should have some beach time to work on my novel.

I think I'm writing an an adaptation of Journey to Ixtlan and some other Castaneda works - but set in America at the dawn of Bureaucracy. Instead of Don Juan I'm going to have a cabal of Discordians which were first introduced in the Parable of the Gong - nopants, golden rod, bung the fool, et cetera.

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 26, 2007, 03:41:40 PM
can someone give me a rough estimate as to how many pages 50,000 words takes up in say Microsoft Word?

As a gauge, LMNO-PI is currently almost 30,000 words.

And I can't do it this year, because I foolishly aquired a life.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on October 26, 2007, 04:55:53 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 26, 2007, 03:41:40 PM

As a gauge, LMNO-PI is currently almost 30,000 words.

And I can't do it this year, because I foolishly aquired a life.

Poor choice! I have the benefit of casually dating a workaholic who's in his office till 9 most nights and being roommates with a girl who works minimum 40 hour weeks then does 30 hours of class and homework, so although I have a life, it is compacted into about two or three nights a week for very small amounts of time. I might as well fill the emptiness that is my existence with SOMETHING, right?

Cram, I am delighted to hear you will be partaking. We should be writing buddies--send each other abusive motivational emails and the suchlike. Whoever has the lower word count when I go to CT/NY for Thanksgiving has to buy the other a six pack of beer. But drinking of it is done together. :wink: Also, I am mad jealous of the Costa Rica deal. Is this that sweet deal you mentioned before?

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2007, 03:32:28 PM
Not this year.  I've already got 20K words to do without this adding to my pile.

Assuming I'm not rotting in some makeshift jungle prison, I will do it next year, for certain.

I can assure you, good sir, that if the situation deteriorates that far, my contacts will, at the very least, ensure that we are put up in a nice modern 3rd world prison facility.

also, NaNoWriMo, yeah, cool idea but always ends up being tl;dr.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Yeah, Hoshi used to try to get us to do this all the time too but I don't think anyone ever completed it.

LMNO

I think Bella managed it once.

Also, I miss Hoshiko.

Cramulus

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on October 26, 2007, 08:05:18 PM
Cram, I am delighted to hear you will be partaking. We should be writing buddies--send each other abusive motivational emails and the suchlike. Whoever has the lower word count when I go to CT/NY for Thanksgiving has to buy the other a six pack of beer. But drinking of it is done together. :wink: Also, I am mad jealous of the Costa Rica deal. Is this that sweet deal you mentioned before?

alright writing butty, YUOR ON!

Yes, this is the Costa Rica deal we spake of

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 29, 2007, 04:31:19 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on October 26, 2007, 08:05:18 PM

alright writing butty, YUOR ON!

Yes, this is the Costa Rica deal we spake of

Sweet.

PREPARE TO DRINK BEER, SUCKER!

-DC
Feels that perhaps that was not a very good threat...