News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

That's horrible, sorry Nigel.

On my end, I'm feeling the blues. I'm going to try and take the week off from school that I have and channel it into music composition. I have rediscovered a thing though. I like a primordial feel. I might try to write a vaguely metal song about the worship of some sort of Near East deity.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Trivial

Is getting stung basically the only way to know of that allergy?  Insects are oddly nice to me.  Never been stung.  I've even run over a yellow jacket nest with a mower once.  Those were pissed, but I ran away before they realized what the heck I was.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial on August 23, 2014, 03:58:19 AM
Is getting stung basically the only way to know of that allergy?  Insects are oddly nice to me.  Never been stung.  I've even run over a yellow jacket nest with a mower once.  Those were pissed, but I ran away before they realized what the heck I was.

Yeah. You have to be exposed once to develop the allergy, and I was, a lot. I was stung over 21 times by yellowjackets, and had to go to the hospital, many years ago. They told me that the exposure made it likely that I would be allergic the mext time, and I think that years later my current doctor confirmed it but i'v never had another exposure until now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Shit, that sucks, Nigel.

I'm impressed you were previously stung 21 times. 21 TIMES! That had to have been terrifying.

Cain

hooplala

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 23, 2014, 05:11:50 AM
Quote from: Trivial on August 23, 2014, 03:58:19 AM

Yeah. You have to be exposed once to develop the allergy, and I was, a lot. I was stung over 21 times by yellowjackets, and had to go to the hospital, many years ago. They told me that the exposure made it likely that I would be allergic the mext time, and I think that years later my current doctor confirmed it but i'v never had another exposure until now.

Getting stung by a whackload of yellow jackets can make you allergic to bees?  Holy shit!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yellowjackets are horrid. I was in the woods and I turned over a rock and under the rock there was a nest... oops! They swarmed me too fast for me to escape.

Apparently that much exposure to any bee venom can trigger an allergy, even across species. My hand is puffy and gross.

Da6s

Had surgery yesterday. On my ass. There's now 6 inches worth of stitches. In my ass. Percocets galore but in tender/sore still.

Pilonidal cyst, or apparently "You're a 20s/30s white male that sits a lot for work? Congratulations, you've won a 3.5 week headache to treat this common affliction!". Apparently the lead affected demographic is truck drivers, with IT workers (me) being second.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Da6s on August 23, 2014, 06:48:01 PM
Had surgery yesterday. On my ass. There's now 6 inches worth of stitches. In my ass. Percocets galore but in tender/sore still.

Pilonidal cyst, or apparently "You're a 20s/30s white male that sits a lot for work? Congratulations, you've won a 3.5 week headache to treat this common affliction!". Apparently the lead affected demographic is truck drivers, with IT workers (me) being second.

Awyeah. Had a friend with one of those once. He said it ruptured at work and the smell was ungodly.

Da6s

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 23, 2014, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: Da6s on August 23, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

Awyeah. Had a friend with one of those once. He said it ruptured at work and the smell was ungodly.

Never had a smell issue. i was actually misdiagnosed by a shitty doctor up in breck since November. He told me the recurring staph infections I was getting every 2 or so months was MRSA and I just had to deal with it until it went away. Came back last week, went to a new dr here and within 45 seconds she correctly diagnosed it. She also said Ishould never have waited this long for surgery and that this last time I was actually at a moderate risk of going septic from it.

So that's been my fun last week and a half. 

Also, SwiftKey keyboard fucking hates this forum and keeps adding in duplicate letters on my posts for no reason at all.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, today I ate clotted cream and lime curd for the first time on scones.

England, stop naming your food terribly. This shit was fucking delicious.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Suu on August 24, 2014, 01:37:22 AM
I have this stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

I am prepared for my death.
I love that music video for three reasons:
1. The lady in the middle looks like she missed all the choreography rehearsals.
2. dude's fake beard.
3. dude's dance moves.

Suu

Quote from: Raz Tech on August 24, 2014, 02:29:21 AM
Quote from: The Suu on August 24, 2014, 01:37:22 AM
I have this stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

I am prepared for my death.
I love that music video for three reasons:
1. The lady in the middle looks like she missed all the choreography rehearsals.
2. dude's fake beard.
3. dude's dance moves.

It's a work of FINE. ART.