News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Doing some research for a sci-fi story

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 30, 2013, 03:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

To answer the question directly, "how would time travel work from a multiverse perspective", I have a feeling the two would not necessarily have to mix.  You could time travel back in the current universe, and paradoxes are resolved by the splitting of new universes at whatever point in time you arrive/fuck around at.

I'm not sure how you're handling the objective v subjective viewer, though.  In conventional multiverse theory, there's no 'visiting' other universes.  The viewer is in the universe they're in. If you go back and mess with things, then you went down "the other pantleg of time" as Pratchett says, and there's no going back to where you started from.

HOWEVER, as universes are functionally infinite, you can construct a universe to mostly suit your desire, so long as it has the correct cause and effect chain.  The universe you end up in may only be slightly different, but the butterfly effect still applies.  If you're gonna go that way, you'll really have to think the entire timeline through.

hirley0

hile you were t8:07:37

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 03:20:36 AM

• Ho   quantum physics?
for each CLOCK dimension there would exist a table ?...........
_____
__d5__  clock 1:  no words would be know about these(orbit//spin)
***[ PREPOSED TABLE of minisqualPHYSICAL UNITS ]*********   
_____                                           {{ gravitons? }}
__d4__  clock 2:  electrons orbit proton // electrons spin
***[ PREPOSED TABLE of quantmPHYSICAL UNITS ]********

• I want  a schmuck?
8:22:01 am &
Look: Much of your img is true Some false? Eyes & background?
also the straigt lines ? should be vertical || and horizontal --- not divergent\/

•   experiences.  tokenism?
8:11:54 am

• How much is too much research?

hirley0

? vertical || and horizontal --- ? putting a happy face on this event ?
may be ?"much is too much?
/8:26:44 am

8:09(orbit//spin) ? for clock 5 is WRONG it is Pulsate ><>< & S ~SheAЯ

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 30, 2013, 04:05:55 PM
To answer the "LMNO" question directly,

hirley0

0k 57 was the Movie | underseas warier i think | i can look it up maybe
the object date is April 1958 | its %tile propaganda As time passes %>
take for example the current Japanese version | iT was an :"ACCIDENT":
{NEVER MIND BAC2TIME.IS 8:37:37.373737

Quote from: LuciferX on December 30, 2013, 08:51:57 AM
The first and only point, according to popular interpretation, is that time travel requires crossing parallel worlds, but not vice versa.  So, technically, you can travel back to this timeline, but only via other related "primes", primarily.

hirley0

THE POINT TO THINK OVER IS 5 clocks
think in terms of going faster & faster | like for example
U&IverseS are ? FEMTO seconds old
next ? Galaxies have rotated about the center for ? Pico Second
then Planets orbit their stars in Ms?
4 electrons orbit NewClass {don't U believe the Spin flip | trip INSTEAD
& FINALLY THE 5TH Question S. {never mind {i was Rong

its S Ms Ps Fs > Faster & Faster ell there is no time to turn around only PorS
call it Push or Shove if you like

minuspace

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 30, 2013, 02:18:52 PM
The first and only point, according to popular interpretation, is that time travel requires crossing parallel worlds, but not vice versa.  So, technically, you can travel back to this timeline, but only via other related "primes", primarily.

WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.  SHUT UP.

Now, please do not imply that I concern myself with popular opinion.  Actually, it's the other way around, trips through the multiverse are predicated on time travel, however you may still disagree.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on December 30, 2013, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 30, 2013, 02:18:52 PM

WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.  SHUT UP.

Now, please do not imply that I concern myself with popular opinion.  Actually, it's the other way around, trips through the multiverse are predicated on time travel, however you may still disagree.

Yeah, whatever.  Thread's all yours, make up any old shit you like.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

The Good Reverend Roger

I see.  So just leaving the conversation isn't going to do it, because you're a fucking nutter.

Great.  Another fucking psychotic who has developed a fixation.  That's new.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

And yet our hero, undaunted, forges on to attack the problem of the initial bullet point.

And we have this possibility: TIME DOES NOT EXIST.

In the above clicky-linky, we find that if everything in the universe is a wave function, then the equation of the universe is

ψ(r, t)

Where r is the position of all the quantum thingies in the universe.

So at ψ(r, t=1) all the thingies are in one place, and at ψ(r, t=2) all the thingies are in a different place.

But we don't need the t, because r never repeats itself.

Unfortunately, this actually corresponds with Lucifer's idea.  If there is only an infinite number of universes in an infinite number of moments, then time travel would necessarily have to be comprised of multiverse-jumping.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 30, 2013, 06:31:25 PM
And yet our hero, undaunted, forges on to attack the problem of the initial bullet point.

And we have this possibility: TIME DOES NOT EXIST.

In the above clicky-linky, we find that if everything in the universe is a wave function, then the equation of the universe is

ψ(r, t)

Where r is the position of all the quantum thingies in the universe.

So at ψ(r, t=1) all the thingies are in one place, and at ψ(r, t=2) all the thingies are in a different place.

But we don't need the t, because r never repeats itself.

Unfortunately, this actually corresponds with Lucifer's idea.  If there is only an infinite number of universes in an infinite number of moments, then time travel would necessarily have to be comprised of multiverse-jumping.

Which is what I said in the first place.

But you can never jump back, once you've gone backward in time.

LMNO

Sure you can.  Find the universe that matches the one you were previously in. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 30, 2013, 06:52:40 PM
Sure you can.  Find the universe that matches the one you were previously in.

See bar thread.

LMNO

Chelagoras The Boulder

can you cite the relevant quote from the bar thread? If the idea is that time doesn't exist (which i rather like btw) what does it matter which direction i move in time, and whats keeping me from moving back to the universe i started from? if time is just an ocean of moments, what makes the point i started from any different from any of the other infinite points i could chose to jump to?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."